Complain About Fire Alarms Not Working In Condo Block Kkn Kankanork Condo Complaint

Hi

Ok,, this is a long shot

I recently bought a condo from Kankanork development company in Chiang Mai

All the fire alarms in the building are covered in a red plastic cover, that stop them working. All the corridoors are like this and in my condo i was advised to leave them on, presumably because if the alarms go off this is a nuisance to someone (LOL).

I am assuming here that legally they need all this safety stuff, but they just disable it with the plastic things. Also the firedoors are locked at night.

So.. ive been considering taking off the red plastic things in the corridoors myself. I cant do this in peoples units though. I have no control over the firedoors being locked at night.

So what can i do? I sent an email to KKN head office.. no reply, no surprise there.

Is there a government department responsible for safety (LOL).. any other avenues of "attack"? Or just wait until people die and then blame someone else?

Seriously as a part owner of the building.. I should do something right? Basically after buying and moving in theres been no information given to me as to the limit of their responsibility, what my expectations should be of them, what my responsibilities are etc. Nobody speaks english.. they keep agreeing and promising stuff but it never happens. I dont want to get angry.. just make the right complaints to the right people, then ive done my bit no point getting angry at the receptionist or security guard

Edited by BuffaloRescue

I also have a condo in a Karkanok development but the fire system is fully operational.

I would suggest to contact the Juristic Person of that particular building and notify him/her of the problem. If it is not resolved I would inform the local land office of the issue, they will hold all the relevant records pertaining to the building and it should be made aware of the problem and direct the management to get it repaired.

As an aside it is a legal requirement that all condos are inspected annually by a qualified building inspector and a copy of the report is kept with the land office and another copy is retained by the owners committee or management.

Are you sure the plastic cover is just not to prevent a false alarm by it being banged in to by accident? If there was a fire can it not be quickly pulled off and alarm pressed? Like the old kind where you need to break some glass to press a button but now they use Perspex / plastic. The detectors in corridors would be on the ceilings and work automatically; not sure how you'd know they were working or not.

Are you sure the plastic cover is just not to prevent a false alarm by it being banged in to by accident? If there was a fire can it not be quickly pulled off and alarm pressed? Like the old kind where you need to break some glass to press a button but now they use Perspex / plastic. The detectors in corridors would be on the ceilings and work automatically; not sure how you'd know they were working or not.

The plastic cover goes over the smoke detector, not a manual button to activate the alarm. When the cover is over the detector, no air/smoke can get to it.

You need to go to the local tessabaan ( local municipality), they need to have passed the initial fire regulations before transfer. Depending on the age if the condo there needs to be a fire inspection yearly, ask for the fire inspection report. We found that not only were our fire alarms not working, no emergency lights working, never had a fire drill and the condo did not have the mandatory 6 meter side road around it for fire engine access in accordance with law.

The red covers are transit/installation covers to protect the delicate internals from dust / carp during installation.

If you can find the installation instructions (yes, I know) they tell you to remove said covers, ideally this is what you need to show to the juristic office.