Best Place In Pattaya To Buy Steaks For The Grill At Home.

guzzi850m2

We have bought a grill and are now grilling minimum once a week in the garden.

Earlier this week we had some real good steaks (Aus.) from Friendship but 1200 bath pr kg, so it was over 300 bath pr steak.

Today we had Thai steaks to 75 bath a pop, big but not good, our dog is happy today, he-he.

Also when you buy a cut steak, I notice that they not cut evenly thick.

So my question is: Where do you go and buy evenly cut & good tasting/tender steaks without breaking the bank?

Do they have to be imported to be good?

The mall-- Home fresh mart , we do all the grocery there..where we can find ..lots of imported meat, cheese, fruits and veggies ....Scottish cheese is fantastic with many options .369฿per package ..

I always have travel bugs!!

Foodland always has a good selection as does Friendship.and Makro.

Try Western Wholesale Meat Co or Acorn Distribution for steaks that the local restauranteurs buy.

If you know what you are buying try getting some tenderloin from the market near the relief road/railway on soi Nern Plab Wan. Tenderise if you really want and that should be as tender as you need.

Food land used to do local 'pen fed' fillet steak at a great price and was excellent but stopped doing it lately and the local fillet they offer now tastes like leather. I too would like to know what cut, type & price people would recommend and where.

Food land used to do local 'pen fed' fillet steak at a great price and was excellent but stopped doing it lately and the local fillet they offer now tastes like leather. I too would like to know what cut, type & price people would recommend and where.

I had one of those last year. It was fantastic. But haven't seen it since. We've tried other Thai beef and none have turned out good.

There's a place just down from Foodland that's suppose to have good meats. It's to the right as you exit, same side of the street. I've also heard good things about Western Wholesale.

I've tried Makro, but the cuts are way too thin for a good steak. One time we bought a big chunk of beef from Makro that was from either Oz or NZ and had them cut 1.5 inches thick. Obviously they had stored it too close to the lamb as it had a terrible taste. And was expensive.

Villa Market at The Avenue in Pattaya is where I buy my Australian aged beef. They have quite a selection of various cuts and sizes. Their imported (US and AU) beef are vacuum packed. The counter personnel will be more than happy to weigh your selection to insure you get matching portions

It looks like it's best to just "sniffing" around those Farang based super markets.

@jiean: where is The Mall- Home fresh market located, thanks.

@cardholder: Interesting about the 2 wholesales places might check them out, thanks.

I guess only upper-class Thais enjoy a good steak and not the average Thai "Joe".

Villa Market at The Avenue in Pattaya is where I buy my Australian aged beef. They have quite a selection of various cuts and sizes. Their imported (US and AU) beef are vacuum packed. The counter personnel will be more than happy to weigh your selection to insure you get matching portions

Thats where I usually buy my aged beef. Although I live in Korat on my visits to Pattaya I stock up in Villa Market. I buy whole fillets, further age them for about two weeks either wet by leaving in the Vac Pak bag or dry by removing, drying and wrapping in a clean towel each day. The results are much the same but in the UK dry age beef is more expensive because it lose's weight. For a table served steak I prefer either a US or Aussie steak but for a really good B B Q steak then I use the Thai French beef Pong Yang Kham (a lot cheaper) which I also age. I also use this for various beef dishes such as Steak and Stout Pie, Beef in Oyster Sauce, Beef Wellington etc. By buying the whole fillet I can cut to the size I require and then I aways leave a big piece for either Beef Wellington or Chateaubriand steak. After ageing and portioning I then Vac Pak each portion and freeze. Buying a few whole fillets is certainly expensive but after the initial outlay there is no need to buy steak for a while so it works out the same in the end and I have a selection of steaks for each occasion. Cheap tough steak does not do it for me, I would rather have a good steak less often than a tough steak whenever.

Edited by Billmont

I had one of those last year. It was fantastic. But haven't seen it since. We've tried other Thai beef and none have turned out good.

There's a place just down from Foodland that's suppose to have good meats. It's to the right as you exit, same side of the street. I've also heard good things about Western Wholesale.

I've tried Makro, but the cuts are way too thin for a good steak. One time we bought a big chunk of beef from Makro that was from either Oz or NZ and had them cut 1.5 inches thick. Obviously they had stored it too close to the lamb as it had a terrible taste. And was expensive.

they're called prime beef butcher and have excellent aged beef and also lamb on sale. I stopped buying beef at Foodland and complete my shopping by walking the 50 meters down the road instead.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Foodland always has a good selection as does Friendship.and Makro.

Try Western Wholesale Meat Co or Acorn Distribution for steaks that the local restauranteurs buy.

If you know what you are buying try getting some tenderloin from the market near the relief road/railway on soi Nern Plab Wan. Tenderise if you really want and that should be as tender as you need.

Western Wholesale for sure, I contacted Acorn and was told they were only wholesalers and no private (small) sales

Is western Wholesale still around? I called there a while ago and learned that Eric has left and that they have *maybe* beef again in a week or two. Never called them again since...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app