Hotel Centara grand central world

3.5k baht a night post-177838-13664822829479_thumb.jpg

Eating out

Italian 4 people wine = 6k

Drinking : water gallery coctauls all night 7k baht

General shopping - bloody cheap at central area

Taxis 86 baht for 30mins driving???

Pictures so you know it is not a bs thread and to cut out snide remarks

Constructive answers on why it is so bloody cheap been up here a week and been all over this time with friends and gobsmacked

When I booked up Centara grand Karon beach over a year and half ago it cost me 4k uk for a month through uk agent so they added their bit but still it's rip of Phuket

Every time I go out (7 times a week )

Davinci 4k for two leo&mas patong 4-5 k for two (includes drinks )

Kang eang4/6k

Gives you an idea

If you get a cab (leave car at home and get taxi to airport Rawai to airport is 700 baht )

How can all this be justified ??? post-177838-13664826850199_thumb.jpg

post-177838-13664827760837_thumb.jpgpost-177838-13664828399638_thumb.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the beach in Bangkok? Yes I will agree that taxis are cheaper. Don't really know or care about a hotel, I have a house, a car and motorbikes, so no problem. I can't stand the food when eating out most of the time. Good thing I am a good cook. Prices for food if you cook your own are less here than BKK. Same if you know where to buy your favorite beverage. But if you are on a holiday and living it up, I'm sure I could take you to many places in BKK that would be more expensive than most places Phuket. You're comparing apples and oranges as the old saying goes... One is a "resort island" the other is a large city...

Yes cars are cheaper , we have a fiesta and a ranger and the fuel costs 1800 baht to fill the fiesta up and can drive to trang and back nearly so I have to walk away when discussions happen over taxi fare to and from the airport because I want to crack their head open!

Motorbikes I am unsure as the wife won't let me have encase I am killed by some piss head having a hairy day.

However I compare on a city. As having spent a lot of times in cities comparing bkk top end to their top end bkk is by far very cheap.

Yes there are some more expensive places I was just giving the highlight but also there are a lot cheaper

For instance the brasserie in Phuket town is 2-300 baht a import where as in beer, brew & ciders thonglor 13 it was around 200

• Like 1

"Bangkok Is So Much Cheaper Than Phuket"

No,it's not!I found Phuket cheaper than Bangkok when I lived there,unless you're doing the full Tommy Tourist job which you obviously are!

"Italian 4 people wine = 6k"

That's USD $200,that's not even cheap by Western standards!

Hi there . Yes this is something we should really rain in however I enjoy going to restraunts like this and would eat at home or anywhere like this so would not want to change. I see people eating 50b dinners and I can see why but personally I would feel empty after prawn and rice .

Good food healthy mind .

Obliviously Modena or romantica are in there however the food is not as nice but the cost is substantially cheaper . So comparing on a quality to quality

Quite simple to explain,when you are on an island they have the monopoly on the prices.

As in beer, taxis this would make sense however I can't understand how the goverment can justify it! It must take 2000b to fuel a taxi up if they are not on gas (not petroleum) already.

And then to charge what they do , their profits must be through the roof - real cash cow!

Where's the beach in Bangkok? Yes I will agree that taxis are cheaper. Don't really know or care about a hotel, I have a house, a car and motorbikes, so no problem. I can't stand the food when eating out most of the time. Good thing I am a good cook. Prices for food if you cook your own are less here than BKK. Same if you know where to buy your favorite beverage. But if you are on a holiday and living it up, I'm sure I could take you to many places in BKK that would be more expensive than most places Phuket. You're comparing apples and oranges as the old saying goes... One is a "resort island" the other is a large city...

But there is a beach in Bangkok. ;)

Yes cars are cheaper , we have a fiesta and a ranger and the fuel costs 1800 baht to fill the fiesta up and can drive to trang and back nearly so I have to walk away when discussions happen over taxi fare to and from the airport because I want to crack their head open!

Motorbikes I am unsure as the wife won't let me have encase I am killed by some piss head having a hairy day.

However I compare on a city. As having spent a lot of times in cities comparing bkk top end to their top end bkk is by far very cheap.

Yes there are some more expensive places I was just giving the highlight but also there are a lot cheaper

For instance the brasserie in Phuket town is 2-300 baht a import where as in beer, brew & ciders thonglor 13 it was around 200

Comparing which cities?

Yes, Phuket province is dearer than Bangkok, no surprise there.

First of all your comparison is flawd from the onset, because you're comparing apples and oranges.

Then your comparison is flawd because a 30 minute taxiride in Bangkok is more expensive than 86 Baht.

Thirdly, you're picking out places to make your point, I could pick out places and make my point the other way.

Fourthly with mentioning Italian for 6K as an example you're not doing yourself any favours.

A usual self serving post.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

cars are cheaper in Bangkok for USED ones as there more as they are cheaper in Hat yai as well.

Gas is same, Villa prices in Bangkok are the same as Phuket ( will love it once they open the new one in Bang Tao)

I live in Phuket ( an have been for most of the past 28 years) an find prices going up alot in the past 2 years and find food is more expensive than Bangkok but not by much

and u MUST stay away for eating anywhere in Phuket on/near a beach as they will double charge what the food should be ( Surin and Layan being especially bad)

• Like 1

Ive never stepped foot in Phuket save for the bus station, Thap Lamu, Similian snd Ko Tachai

The annoying tourists are enough to keep me away but then you have the Thai mafia and the young English aggressive drunks.

But Ive have always seen it as a total ripoff.

Living on Phuket is more like living in Pattaya then living on Tachai.

What about Phuket wouldnt be a rip? Its a province totally fashioned on.tourist dollars.

BKK can be quite reasonable.

Newsflash: Phuket is not the only province with a beach.

Edited by bangkokburning

A breakdown of prices of various items comparing Bangkok to Phuket - Cost of Living Comparison

That was an eye opener.

That site is making (partly) the same mistakes as the op. Comparing McDonalds Bangkok with Patong beachroad gives a different picture to comparing it with McDonalds Phuket Town.

Plus some information I don't trust, cigarettes cheaper on Phuket than in Bangkok? A car of 800.000 Baht in Bangkok less than 700.000 Baht on Phuket? Phuket cheaper mortgages? Phuket rental apartments where?

Wine cheaper on Phuket, beer cheaper on Phuket? Local cheese a lot more expensive?

Sorry, this comparison looks like nothing to me.

• Like 2

Overall I have found my costs in both places to be quite similar (though it depends on which part of Phuket you are comparing to which part of Bangkok).

Of course lower prices can be found in Pattaya, the North or North East if you fancy any of those areas.

I quite like the idea of moving up to the North or North East for a quieter, cheaper life when I'm in my 60s but for now Phuket really is the only place that has everything I need, though Bangkok runs it a close 2nd.

Ive never stepped foot in Phuket save for the bus station, Thap Lamu, Similian snd Ko Tachai

The annoying tourists are enough to keep me away but then you have the Thai mafia and the young English aggressive drunks.

What about Phuket wouldnt be a rip? Its a province totally fashioned on.tourist dollars.

Of course parts of Phuket are more geared towards tourists and are therefore more expensive. However, the part where I live is pretty much without tourists. I know that parts of Bangkok are also more tourist orientated and more expensive, while other areas are considerably cheaper.

Phuket is certainly not the only province with a beach but it is the only province with decent beaches and all the other facilities that I need.

Interesting post. First you say you've never been to Phuket, other than the bus station. Then you say you've always seen it as a total rip off. Very curious as you've never been. I can also can say that Phuket can be quite reasonable, it depends on your life style. I lived in BKK for a while, I couldn't stand it. Once again, apples and oranges... As to your newsflash; no one ever said Phuket was the only province with a beach...

• Like 1

Then your comparison is flawd because a 30 minute taxiride in Bangkok is more expensive than 86 Baht.

Actually that is often true - I live in Bangkok and outside of CBD but unless travel is on expressways or well after hours the normal taxi ride for 30 minutes averages about 80-90 baht for me - because of the heavy traffic you do not travel that far or fast in a normal taxi ride and only because they are all powered with NGV or LPG can they make any profit at all.

Actually that is often true - I live in Bangkok and outside of CBD but unless travel is on expressways or well after hours the normal taxi ride for 30 minutes averages about 80-90 baht for me - because of the heavy traffic you do not travel that far or fast in a normal taxi ride and only because they are all powered with NGV or LPG can they make any profit at all.

Ok, but then it's not a taxi ride but a taxi stand :)

Ok, but then it's not a taxi ride but a taxi stand smile.png

apples and oranges.Seems to be the quote of the day.

Of course parts of Phuket are more geared towards tourists and are therefore more expensive. However, the part where I live is pretty much without tourists. I know that parts of Bangkok are also more tourist orientated and more expensive, while other areas are considerably cheaper.

Phuket is certainly not the only province with a beach but it is the only province with decent beaches and all the other facilities that I need.

There are far better uncrowded unpolluted beaches in many provinces.

Just in the news today about the pollution on Bang tao beach is making people ill and the raw sewage in Phuket town which naturally flows into the sea via a beach somewhere.

It amazes me how people still carry on thinking Phuket is beautiful place.