Events To Mark Bangkok Becoming World Book Capital

webfact

WBC
Events to mark Bangkok becoming World Book Capital

The Nation

30204482-01_big.jpg
Suthichai Yoon, left, chairman of Nation Multimedia Group, moderates a seminar

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has kicked off a year-long series of activities to celebrate the city's status as World Book Capital 2013.

Bangkok will take over from Yerevan in Armenia as the new World Book Capital tomorrow, which is World Book and Copyright Day.

Yesterday saw the curtain rise on a three-day exhibition over 7,000 square metres at Siam Paragon.

Over at the Bangkok Art and Culture Centre, an exhibition on the 35th Anniversary of the SEA Write Award opened yesterday and will run till May 19.

CentralWorld is the venue for fun-filled activities encouraging children to develop a reading habit.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra presided over the World Book Capital international conference and panel discussion at Centara Grand at CentralWorld.

Representatives from the International Publishers Association, International Booksellers Federation and International Federation of Library Associations joined the session along with writers and organisations from several countries.

A seminar on "The Future of Reading, Reading for the Future" was moderated by Suthichai Yoon, chairman of Nation Multimedia Group. Among the speakers were Prof Muhummed Haji Salleh and Vallop Suwandee, chief adviser to Sukhumbhand.

Sukhumbhand said city hall was preparing an ambitious slate of events to seriously promote reading until April 22 of next year.

"We hope Bangkok residents will read about 15 books a year by then," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-22

I remember book fairs in Europe which took up more space than Impact Muang Thong Thani and Bitec together. And we are talking fairs, not bookshops. Latter are disappearing for costs reasons yet Amazon and the like are pushing piles on a daily basis.
Considering the inability of 70% of Thais to write their own language perfectly it is mind-boggling to read about another hub intention.
Way to go, indeed, way to go!

I would suggest to anyone that wants to make a sarcastic point about Thais and book reading that they should at least visit one of the twice-yearly Bangkok book fairs. They may be surprised at the large numbers of young people attending.

Really? Where is this advertised - I would like to attend - seriously. This is the next best thing to a comic book convention in my opinion - and THAT (again my opinion) kinda (comic books) event really gets young kids into reading.

Yeah. I remember many years ago trying to elevate my Thai girlfriend's literary interest. At the time she was a voracious reader of Agatha Christie. We went to the book store (pre Internet days) and I convinced her to buy Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises".

She read it, and upon completion, asked me, "I no understand, why he no f*** her?"

It was cartoons and Agatha from there on in. Translation or otherwise, I gave up.

Book center. Yeah, I guess.

• Like 2

Yeah. I remember many years ago trying to elevate my Thai girlfriend's literary interest. At the time she was a voracious reader of Agatha Christie. We went to the book store (pre Internet days) and I convinced her to buy Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises".

She read it, and upon completion, asked me, "I no understand, why he no f*** her?"

It was cartoons and Agatha from there on in. Translation or otherwise, I gave up.

Book center. Yeah, I guess.

I'm English, and even I wouldn't read Hemingway. Why not suggest some modern books. I read at least 50 books a year, but back in my school days I didn't even finish the books we were supposed to read. That was because the books we were given were old and boring. If you're encouraging someone to start reading, it's probably better to give them something more modern to start with. Hemingway? LOL. That's a way to get people to stop reading. School put me off reading for years. Didn't start until my 30s.

This appreciation for reading has not seemed to have made it's way to Phuket, and doesn't appear to be making that journey any time soon. For Farangs or Thais. Unless you mean balancing the books for small change earned for Thais and profits off investments for Farang.

FWIW, it's been advertised pretty heavily along the BTS, and I've seen the overly long domain name enough times that I *should* be able to remember it... What I still haven't seen in the ads are a couple of basic things:

* The place

* The times

* Whether there's any chance of books being in English

* Admission fee (if any) - if it's free, that's one excellent thing to play up

I do intend to check it out, if only to see how the locals perceive books / authors...

Yes I remember it. Already told one year ago that Bangkok would be next Book Capital.

Paradoxal for a country which count surely the less reading people. Thais are generally too lazy to reading. Hum.. just reading the news and football results on Thai Rath newspaper. But it can't be considered as reading (books) !

Edited by Westaurel

I would suggest to anyone that wants to make a sarcastic point about Thais and book reading that they should at least visit one of the twice-yearly Bangkok book fairs. They may be surprised at the large numbers of young people attending.

Seems to me each time I either pass or enter a book shop here, the youngsters just stand there and read comic books for free.