Basic Schooling - Is There Any?

JaiLai

I asked the wife's niece how many CM's in 1 meter yesterday, she had no idea, she's 17!!!

Funniest part is she's 3rd in her class out of 15 - lol.

Obviously being Thai she does not care that she does not know this....

What do they teach them in school here, anything useful?

It was just your pronunciation. You should have asked.

how many centimit in 1 mit? Then she would have understood. Maybe :D

Oh as for what they teach.. ask her if she can do thai dance. Even the boys learn that :rolleyes:

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Edited by thaicbr

It was just your pronunciation. You should have asked.

how many centimit in 1 mit? Then she would have understood. Maybe :D

Oh as for what they teach.. ask her if she can do thai dance. Even the boys learn that :rolleyes:

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I asked in Thai, which is ok, she understood, she just does not know - crazy.

And of course I know as well as anyone else there's 48 weeks in the year - lol

They teach them the following

how to follow the leader

how to not question anything

how to copy

how to dress properly, appearance is everything

how to take the path of least resistance

+ Never believe anything unless it is told to you by a Thai person

Cannot find Thailand on a map...and a girl was incandescent that I only gave her Baht200 for bus from Pattaya to Ekkamai, while I gave another girl Baht1000 BKK-CM. She seemed to have no concept of distances between cities, only that they were bus journeys.

And of course using a calculator to find the change for Baht100 for 2 x 10 baht purchases.

In 30 years here I have only experienced one instance where a waitress totalled a simple bill at a glance. I gave her a 500Baht tip.

Another I find this difficult to believe but her husband swears to it...If you remember ET, his wife was under the impression that these "beings" were real inhabitatants of this planet, like pygmies, Eskimos etc.

A graduate in English from Chula had no knowledge at all of WWII..I guess we could go on forever.

I used to give lunchtime "classes" to cad/cam and cnc technicians, in "English with an interest". Concepts of the age of the earth. distance to the moon, age of "man", they could not even make wild guesses.

Son "Dad how far is it to the moon." ?

Dad "Don't really know son"

Son "Dad why is the sky blue" /

Son "Dad what is .1 times .1"?

Son "Dad, you don't mind me asking all these questions, do you"?

Dad "If you don't ask you'll never learn"/

Edited by Rimmer
Bold fonts

I asked a Thai bloke roughly how big a Rai was, he looked at me like I was retarded. He probably posted how stupid I was on a Thai forum sad.png .

Thanks Scully, been reading TV posts all morning and this post of yours gave me a laugh that I badly needed. clap2.gif

Ones that astounded me.......

Where is Australia ? In fact almost anywhere outside of Thailand.

Is the Moon the same in the Uk

Calculatort for 980 baht from 1000 in Post Office

Have no understanding or concept of any amount larger than 10,000 baht, 100,000 might just as well be 1 million has no meaning.

Buying two halves to make one, nope, they aint got one then have to wait for one.

Buy one get one free, but I dont want two.

At village petrol station, noticed pump said 6.2 ltres, I asked, how can you put 6.2 in a 5ltr can?.

Didnt understand no matter how i explained, pump say, you pay, pump wromg, impossible!...hahaha

You gotta wonder do they play dumb or are they actually that thick, some might argue neither, they are that clever....hahaha

You gotta wonder do they play dumb or are they actually that thick, some might argue neither, they are that clever....hahaha

Serious face palm moment for you:

the moon appears different depending on where you are viewing it from!

I asked the wife's niece how many CM's in 1 meter yesterday, she had no idea, she's 17!!!

So did you explain it to her or what? Just said 100?

I tried to explain, she had zero interest. As with the rest of them happier to sit and mess about on phone.

Glad I don't have kids here, chances are they would end up as thick as this lot!

I.ll re phrase just for you.......you have same in uk, pointing at the moon

I asked a Thai bloke roughly how big a Rai was, he looked at me like I was retarded. He probably posted how stupid I was on a Thai forum :( .

Funny.

Actually, how many sq ft / sq m is there in 1 rai?

How about that other measurement for houses? I don't even know what that term is in English.

I asked a Thai bloke roughly how big a Rai was, he looked at me like I was retarded. He probably posted how stupid I was on a Thai forum sad.png .

Funny.

Actually, how many sq ft / sq m is there in 1 rai?

How about that other measurement for houses? I don't even know what that term is in English.

I nicked this from a thread some time ago so hope it may be useful.....

The three Thai land measurement units are rai, ngan, and talang (square) wah or TW:

1 TW = 4 m2 = 43 ft2 = 4.8 yd2

1 ngan = 100 TW = 400 m2 = 478 yd2

1 rai = 400 TW = 4 ngan = 1,600 m2 = 0.16 hectares = 1,914 yd2 = 0.40 acres

1 acre = 4,047 m2 = 2.53 rai

1 hectare (ha) = 2. 4711 acres

1 rai = 1,600 m2

A common property designator used in advertising takes this form: [1-0-70]

Thus [1-0-70] means [1 rai, 0 ngan, and 70 TW] = 1-0-70 = 1600 m2 + 0 + (70x4 m2) = 1,880 m2

Edited by topt

I tried to explain, she had zero interest. As with the rest of them happier to sit and mess about on phone.

Glad I don't have kids here, chances are they would end up as thick as this lot!

From what I can make out in the UK nowadays they are not much better!! Also, Americans probably don't match up to the Thai's in some respects!!! Thicko's, all of them.

" From what I can make out in the UK nowadays they are not much better!! Also, Americans probably don't match up to the Thai's in some respects!!! Thicko's, all of them."

Not all of them for sure, count the Nobel Prizes, but Jay Leno had a series that showed the depths of ignorance of many adults.

" From what I can make out in the UK nowadays they are not much better!! Also, Americans probably don't match up to the Thai's in some respects!!! Thicko's, all of them."

Not all of them for sure, count the Nobel Prizes, but Jay Leno had a series that showed the depths of ignorance of many adults.

OK, nearly all of them then!!

• 2 weeks later...

Double facepalm - Moon always keeps same sie facing the earth. It is always the same view no matter where you are in the world.