Chanote Deed Transfer Cost

Quick question, and my apologies if this has been answered before: GF is buying a9 rai chanote near Chiang Mai for 650k baht. Deed transfer should be 2.3% as I understand it. But land office is demanding 99k for the deed transfer. They say the land has been valued by the bank at 1.9 million, there she must pay 99k. Even my maths works out 2.3% of 99k at 43.7k, so the demand for 99k is a mystery! I have told her she must get a detailed invoice from the explaining the charge which I can send to my lawyer, but they can't produce one ( or won't)

Unfortunately my lawyer is in the south so can't really help much in person

Does anyone have any idea(apart from money going in someone's pocket) as to how the charge of 99k has come about, and whether this sounds legit? If not legit, how can we appeal? Seems extraordinarily high to me

Thanks in advance

Land near Cm with chanote is at least 300k per Rai.

I haven't found any land with a chanote within 20Km of CM for less than 500k per rai.

But that is not the OP's question.

He says the landoffice values the land at 1.9 million Baht and charges 99K transfer cost.

Edited by jbrain

I believe that the tax department goes by the value that they think the land is worth to get more revenue. They recently increased their assessment.

By the way is this land on the face of a cliff or is family selling it to her?

• Like 1

I have searched thru other posts on this type of topic and having asked her, she has told me she agreed with the seller to pay all taxes, but my issue still is that 99k is over 15% - so something must be wrong somewhere?

With my calculator 99K on 1.9 million is something like 5.2%.

I hope you understand that if they said the bank valued at 1.9 million, that it mean they will calculate the transfer cost on that value as they consider it to be the value.

Yes, fully understand- the 15% is on the actual cost. Wish it was worth 1.9m as she would sell it today and buy a fortuner with the profit. All I can think is that 5.2 % is the 2% plus 3.2% business tax that is payable if held less than 5 years. That's puts the fees in the right ballpark, although she assures me he has held the land a long time.

Transfer tax, stamp duty and business tax. Witholding tax of 1% not payable as owned longer than 5 years.

Why business tax for a transaction between two private person ?

Just found this

Business Tax 3.3% of the registered (sale) value or appraised value (whichever is higher) but not paid if owned over 5 years

Edited by jbrain

Whilst I cannot see how they arrived at the total amount, I will say that the taxes/costs are based on the selling price or land office appraised price whichever is the greater.

They should still be able to provide a breakdown of costs though.

At transfer of Chanote there must be paid 0,5% stamp, 2 % transfer fee and withholding tax. The withholding tax is not so easy to calculate.

http://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/thailand-property-taxes.php

http://lawonline.weebly.com/property-transfer-tax-and-fee.html

Here are 2 links who explain something about it.

Edited by perconrad