Renewing Thai Driver's License

blossombkk

Hi,

My one year Thai driver's license is dated until April 26th.

My question is: do I have to renew it (for a 5 year license) until that date, or can I do it later on?

Also, do I have to do it in the head office in Chatuchak or at my local district?

I had posted it earlier in the Motor section but got no answers. maybe more access to people in here.

Thank you for any information.

Blossom

When I renewed mine they told me I NEEDED to wait until after it expired. Very different than from where I am from. That was two years ago and things may have changed, but I believe you should wait until after it expires and you have a few months before you would need to retest etc.

Please note, this is the best I can remember and things may have changed and I could be wrong. After all, there is a first for everything giggle.gif

There is masses of information posted in the motoring forum, both official and anecdotal, have a look again. To summarise, you cannot renew a tempory licence before you have one year's experience of driving. You renew it at your local office and provided you do it within a year it is a paperwork exercise.

You have a month's grace after expiry to renew either a one or five year licence. Anecdotally, it is rumoured that if you apply to renew your one year licence before it expires, you will be issued with a further one year licence - not sure if this is correct, whether it is policy, or whether it has happened on some occasions and hence become urban legend material. But as you have the one month's grace period there is no need to renew before expiry.