Convince Me To Upgrade To Windows 7 From Xp!

jaideeguy

One other advantage to having a Live Linux CD/DVD on hand is that if your computer OS goes wacko or for some reason you cannot use the XP OS to access your computer files, very often you can pop in the Live CD and easily see all your files still in place and able to be copied out onto another media. This alone makes having an emergency Live CD/DVD kind of worth having.

You can also create a Live USB stick if you don't have a DVD drive.

Very good for emergencies.

As I say, it is the best thing since, well, Sliced Bread.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot depends how old and trusty your XP is. Vista and Win7 need a better video card and run so much better with at least a dual core. Newer versions of IE require Win7 or Win8. I like the UI of Win7 though it's not hugely different from XP. I did notice a speed improvement in Win7 and a big improvement in the newer versions of IE that won't run on XP. Finally new PCs have USB3, HDMI with sound output, faster wireless, Bluetooth, and other nice features.

So upgrade to Win7 along with a new(er) PC.

I was using CP/.M before DOS and then every version of windows since then.

I started using windows 3.0 as a professional, no problem up to windows 7 BUT!!!

A friend just brought in a brand new HP laptop with windows 8 installed and we powered it up for the first time.

It wanted a microsoft email address and bugger all worked until we got one. Loads of apps were preinstalled but Skype wouldn't work until after we got the correct email address.

NOTHING is intuitive, it is nothing like any previous windows.

It feels as if it should be an OS for a touch screen, I cannot get on with it at all.

It would drive an XP user crazy, my opinion of course.....

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to lose a lot of control of your programs/files/etc change to Win7.

It is like an overprotective neurotic parent.

I have 3 HD and have tried Win7 over a year, believing anything new must be better..All back to XP now.

Google is full of despairing users and I guess they are not all half-wits.

Its very simple to turn this down or even off, its trying to protect the system from idiots, all these features can be turned off or changed.

Open up Control Panel, and type in “UAC” into the search box. You’ll see a link for “Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off”:

How simple is that, I Suggest that you send you computer back and use an abacus.

By "disable" do you mean set to "never notify" - I can't see an option to actually turn it off. If I type UAC into Control panel search bar I get "change user account control settings" on following the link as far as I can see I only get and option to set to "never notify" but in the explanatory notes for this setting it does talk about need to restart to turn UAC off so same thing?

If you want to lose a lot of control of your programs/files/etc change to Win7.

It is like an overprotective neurotic parent.

I have 3 HD and have tried Win7 over a year, believing anything new must be better..All back to XP now.

Google is full of despairing users and I guess they are not all half-wits.

Its very simple to turn this down or even off, its trying to protect the system from idiots, all these features can be turned off or changed.

Open up Control Panel, and type in “UAC” into the search box. You’ll see a link for “Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off”:

How simple is that, I Suggest that you send you computer back and use an abacus.

By "disable" do you mean set to "never notify" - I can't see an option to actually turn it off. If I type UAC into Control panel search bar I get "change user account control settings" on following the link as far as I can see I only get and option to set to "never notify" but in the explanatory notes for this setting it does talk about need to restart to turn UAC off so same thing?

You got it, never notify does it.

However, from your response, I guess you really don't understand what you are doing.

The UAC simply stops programs installing themselves without your permission.

I don't see that as a big deal.

If you want to install something, near the start of the installation UAC will stop all action and advise you that an installation is about to happen and ask if it's OK or not.

You say yes and the installation starts and you're done. What's the problem with that.

If I were you I would let your PC be over protective, it might save you.....

What if you click on something on the web and it would normally install something on your pc?

UAC will advise you and you get the chance to say NO!

Disable UAC and stuff will just get installed and you may be left wondering <deleted> just happened?

I suggest you ask Google about UAC and also about how to create a restore point, and why restore points are good and can get you out of trouble by "turning the clock back" so to speak.

Before installing anything, create a restore point.

Do the installation.

If things don't work as you want them to, you can Un-install what you just did but that can leave all sorts of things in your PC that you may not want, it may have changed your browser home page, changed which search engines you use etc.

Restore back the the moment before the new installation and it will be as if the installation never happened.

Create restore point is kinda like making a photocopy and putting it to one side.

You write stuff on the original (install etc), wish you hadn't changed anything.

Pick up the photocopy and all is OK again.

i.e., run the restore back to the moment before the installation - all is saved.

Just go to Google and learn about it, my description is not good, I'm in a hurry, going out, but can see you need to learn.

Good luck

A lot depends how old and trusty your XP is. Vista and Win7 need a better video card and run so much better with at least a dual core. Newer versions of IE require Win7 or Win8. I like the UI of Win7 though it's not hugely different from XP. I did notice a speed improvement in Win7 and a big improvement in the newer versions of IE that won't run on XP. Finally new PCs have USB3, HDMI with sound output, faster wireless, Bluetooth, and other nice features.

I run Win 7 on an Atom-based Asus eee with 2Gb of RAM and an SSD (and no page file), and apart from taking a bit longer to start than a desktop it's perfectly usable as a browsing/emailing machine.

I run Win 7 on an Atom-based Asus eee with 2Gb of RAM and an SSD (and no page file), and apart from taking a bit longer to start than a desktop it's perfectly usable as a browsing/emailing machine.

Why dont you use (any?!) paging? Do you think it runs faster in RAM entirely? Does it?

I have same basic setup - Asus netbook 2gb 1001p.