Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

On a lighter note, I had to laugh when I just read this on Wikipedia:

poor tactics, ill-judged transfer dealings and poor man management brought one of the bleakest spells in the history of one of Europe's most successful clubs of all time.

About Graham Souness's time at Liverpool!

Now, he WAS rubbish.

That was when the rot started to set in. Like i said in an earlier post....same song, different singer for the past 20 years :)

Penkoprod

Now there's a Post if ever i've seen one where i can kick back, relax, get the Popcorn & wait for the reply.. :)

Actually as much as i agree with the criticism Rafa gets, and as much as i too am guilty of slagging him off on this thread, i do have sympathy for Stevie having to constantly defend the man to supporters of other clubs and wonder whether he might have reached the stage of just thinking "fukc them, i can't be arsed with this, let them believe what they want to believe".

Which we do Rix, & quite loudly too... :D

On a lighter note, I had to laugh when I just read this on Wikipedia:

poor tactics, ill-judged transfer dealings and poor man management brought one of the bleakest spells in the history of one of Europe's most successful clubs of all time.

About Graham Souness's time at Liverpool!

Now, he WAS rubbish.

That was when the rot started to set in. Like i said in an earlier post....same song, different singer for the past 20 years :)

Penkoprod

I can't recommend highly enough reading this Souey Entry on Wikipedia. It's the most entertaining one I have ever read. The guy was a walking disaster area. He's like the Angel of Death for dressing rooms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Souness

Rafa is one of the top managers in Europe - if not why are so many top clubs linked with him? Cant believe some of the comments made and the Media make him out to be a clown.

He progressed LFC over his 5 years and to listen to people say he hasn't is just nonsense... But this season has been a major disappointment compared to the end of last season and are good form in Europe in the past years.

I guarantee most top Managers would of walked by now considering the crap he has had to contend with behind the scenes. The guy lives and breathes LFC and comes across as true gent at all times.

I cant think of any top managers out there that could replace him or want to replace him right now with the ongoings behind the scenes.

For me the writing was on the wall at the start of the season - We needed 2-3 major signings over the summer to add to the squad to then go on to challenge for the league and in Europe. And I think everyone thought we were going to make those signings with names of Villa, Silva, Tevez all being linked to us. Instead we had to sell to buy, we had injuries and a very slow start to the season thats it!

The backing wasn't there in the summer as expected or promised. Sorry but you have to have financial backing each year to compete with the top teams.

I cant think of any managers who havnt made bad signings in the Premier League especially who had to rebuild a hole squad over 5 years. For me Rafa has made some fantastic singings and some bad ones. For me the fantastic signings he has made completely outweigh any bad signings - Torres, Alonso,Masch,Skytel, Reina, Kuyt,Yossi.

Would love Rafa to stay one more season - with some finical backing in the summer so we can sign 2-3 top players and see how we get on. But thats not going to happen because the Yanks will still be here bleeding the club dry.

YNWA

Good post Devil, Yes Rafa has many fans and a great track record....albeit at Valencia. For me for the last 2 seasons his tactics are questionable, last year we did come very close....however it was not because we were exceptional, more towards games going are way.....if you recall a lot of late goals. If we were crowned champions...this season would still have panned out the same. The players look disinterested, you only have to see the clip of Gerrard at Birmingham when Torres was subbed.

I fear that Rafa is losing the respect of the players aswell as a section of fans......what is the outcome....only those at the club would know. What we as fans need is a steady ship and new owners.

If Rafa were to leave then fine......I would be hesitent if new owners were to come and give him a war chest...its not as though he has spent next to nothing since he's been here.

Yeah good post Devil.

Surprised you'd like Rafa, properly funded, to stay for another seaon. Would you not rather get a battling manager in now rather than in a year's time, as funds won't be forthcoming (or not to Benitez) to sign more Galactico players?

And if so, who do you think a likely managerial appointment for a tough couple of seasons - Martin O'Neill?

I think he may be Liverpool's best bet.

Ideally Jose.....funds permitting.

Any takers for Kenny???

Hiddink or Rikjard?.....Its a no no but I would'nt mind seeing what David Moyes could do with the proper backing.

im on the fence regarding O'Neill.

If anyone does come in, then as far as timing goes it all depends on the sorry state the club is in regarding those 2 f#$kwits in charge.

Rafa is one of the top managers in Europe - if not why are so many top clubs linked with him? Cant believe some of the comments made and the Media make him out to be a clown.

He progressed LFC over his 5 years and to listen to people say he hasn't is just nonsense... But this season has been a major disappointment compared to the end of last season and are good form in Europe in the past years.

I guarantee most top Managers would of walked by now considering the crap he has had to contend with behind the scenes. The guy lives and breathes LFC and comes across as true gent at all times.

I cant think of any top managers out there that could replace him or want to replace him right now with the ongoings behind the scenes.

For me the writing was on the wall at the start of the season - We needed 2-3 major signings over the summer to add to the squad to then go on to challenge for the league and in Europe. And I think everyone thought we were going to make those signings with names of Villa, Silva, Tevez all being linked to us. Instead we had to sell to buy, we had injuries and a very slow start to the season thats it!

The backing wasn't there in the summer as expected or promised. Sorry but you have to have financial backing each year to compete with the top teams.

I cant think of any managers who havnt made bad signings in the Premier League especially who had to rebuild a hole squad over 5 years. For me Rafa has made some fantastic singings and some bad ones. For me the fantastic signings he has made completely outweigh any bad signings - Torres, Alonso,Masch,Skytel, Reina, Kuyt,Yossi.

Would love Rafa to stay one more season - with some finical backing in the summer so we can sign 2-3 top players and see how we get on. But thats not going to happen because the Yanks will still be here bleeding the club dry.

YNWA

Nice Post Dev, but very naive i'm afraid Mate..

Since when has " being linked " with anything by a British Tabloid actually meant anything even remotely factual ??

Anyone with half a brain & knew about LFC's situation in the Summer would have known there there wasn't a chance in hel_l that Tevez, Silva etc would go to Anfield & you didn't even have to be a Liverpool Fan to know that.

But for all of the " backing wasn't there in the summer ", Glen Johnson & Aquilani cost virtually 40m between them didn't they ??

Tevez cost City 25m didn't he ??

Every Manager makes good Signings & bad Signings Dev you're right, but my Nan could see that Torres was a decent Player & she'd probably buy him if she had the $$ too, as would EVERY other Premiership Manager..

She wouldn't however sign Aquilani for 20m & neither would EVERY other Prem Manager, if any..

Same goes for a lot of his other Signings & not the big one's, i'm talkign about teh Squad, the Squad Players/Signings ( 27 of which came in the Year 2007 alone ) are not what i perceive to be Liverpool Players & remember my perception of Liverpool, although a little outdated now it seems, is a Club that SHOULD be challenging for every Trophy they enter to it's bitter end, & you don't, because of those Players & the alleged progress ( or lack of ) that you believe you've made under Rafa..

Up until October 2009, Rafa signed 76 Players Dev, 76 Players Mate for over 220m of the finest British Pounds & all you picked out was the usual suspects that cost an awful lot fo that money as his best Signings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...gers-reign.html

I admire your loyalty, especially to Rafa, just think it's misplaced Mate that's all..

Football tomorrow night at 17:30 Mate if you fancy.. :)

Yeah good post Devil.

Surprised you'd like Rafa, properly funded, to stay for another seaon. Would you not rather get a battling manager in now rather than in a year's time, as funds won't be forthcoming (or not to Benitez) to sign more Galactico players?

And if so, who do you think a likely managerial appointment for a tough couple of seasons - Martin O'Neill?

Done deal, o'neil to LP. Rafa to Juventas, don't like the smell of it but Jose to City when they qualify to CL.

Yeah good post Devil.

Done deal, o'neil to LP. Rafa to Juventas, don't like the smell of it but Jose to City when they qualify to CL.

No Benitez is going to Madrid.

Yeah good post Devil.

Yes very high chance I would guess.

Yeah good post Devil.

Yes very high chance I would guess.

While on the surface that may seem like the likely scenario however does Benitez coaching style suit the los blanks go for it at all costs mentality? If he goes, maybe he can drag Torres and Gerrard with him.

While on the surface that may seem like the likely scenario however does Benitez coaching style suit the los blanks go for it at all costs mentality? If he goes, maybe he can drag Torres and Gerrard with him.

cant see torres going anyway, or rafa for that matter. i would welcome gerrards departure however, time to part ways imho.

I concur. And Mancini to Juventus, with the smell that James doesn't like, Jose to City :D

No problem there Mr. BJ. You may have to offload one of the 20 strikers you have on your books though and buy a defense. :)

Yeah good post Devil.

I think you mean IF they qualify for CL don't you James

I concur. And Mancini to Juventus, with the smell that James doesn't like, Jose to City :D

No problem there Mr. BJ. You may have to offload one of the 20 strikers you have on your books though and buy a defense. :)

Bet you wished you'd kept hold of one of them :D

YNWA

Nice Post Dev, but very naive i'm afraid Mate..

Since when has " being linked " with anything by a British Tabloid actually meant anything even remotely factual ??

Anyone with half a brain & knew about LFC's situation in the Summer would have known there there wasn't a chance in hel_l that Tevez, Silva etc would go to Anfield & you didn't even have to be a Liverpool Fan to know that.

But for all of the " backing wasn't there in the summer ", Glen Johnson & Aquilani cost virtually 40m between them didn't they ??

Tevez cost City 25m didn't he ??

Every Manager makes good Signings & bad Signings Dev you're right, but my Nan could see that Torres was a decent Player & she'd probably buy him if she had the $$ too, as would EVERY other Premiership Manager..

She wouldn't however sign Aquilani for 20m & neither would EVERY other Prem Manager, if any..

Same goes for a lot of his other Signings & not the big one's, i'm talkign about teh Squad, the Squad Players/Signings ( 27 of which came in the Year 2007 alone ) are not what i perceive to be Liverpool Players & remember my perception of Liverpool, although a little outdated now it seems, is a Club that SHOULD be challenging for every Trophy they enter to it's bitter end, & you don't, because of those Players & the alleged progress ( or lack of ) that you believe you've made under Rafa..

Up until October 2009, Rafa signed 76 Players Dev, 76 Players Mate for over 220m of the finest British Pounds & all you picked out was the usual suspects that cost an awful lot fo that money as his best Signings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...gers-reign.html

I admire your loyalty, especially to Rafa, just think it's misplaced Mate that's all..

Football tomorrow night at 17:30 Mate if you fancy.. :)

I remember listening to same dribble last year ... I came accross a more balanced and factual article in March 2009 :D on Rafa's transfers (Link Below)

LINK

So your saying that Geln Johson was a bad signing? and that as you well know the deal was not structured that way we had money owed from Portsmouth! We sold Arbeloa and needed width via full backs to break down teams at home. It was working very well until injuires - who else was on the market? Alves we couldnt buy him at the time due to funds.

Torres- Well Fergie certianly didnt know that as they didnt want him???

Aqualani - was and is a big gamble! agreed - but considering he was the starlet of Roma the 'New Totti' to come throught the ranks it is strange to say nobody would buy him? If he wasnt injured he would of cost more than 20 M for sure. We will get more than back if sold in the future back to a Italian club if he doesnt work out in the Premier league. I belive or hope he will be a star at Liverpool and I never expected much until he played a season injury free. Yes the jury is still out but 20M is ok considering we got 30+ M for Alonso and considering his potential.

You completly miss the fact that the only players reamining since Houliers period is Gerrard and Carra- I think this is a much better squad than then. So you make a point of the number of buys - do they inc first and second team? and did you consider the actual profit loss or just the spend value? LFC didnt come up with 220M Pounds that for sure!

Well Devil, you're clearly happy with everything up at Anfield, so fair play to you :)

No not happy! thought we would be challenging after last seasons efforts. To go out of Europe CL so early was disappointing also. And the performances of a few key players early on and even now has been the most disappointing for me! not the manager.

I am just not one of those that after one bad season are calling for Rafas head. And I dont accept he has been a bad manager for us!

I totally respect the views of those fans who don't like him and want maybe a Evans style of Liverpool again? just saying I am one of those who think he's done a great job making us difficult to break down in the league and Europe and a team that can beat anyone on our day. He had a bad season as well as Gerrard and Carra thats it.

Well Devil, you're clearly happy with everything up at Anfield, so fair play to you :)

No not happy! thought we would be challenging after last seasons efforts. To go out of Europe CL so early was disappointing also. And the performances of a few key players early on and even now has been the most disappointing for me! not the manager.

I am just not one of those that after one bad season are calling for Rafas head. And I dont accept he has been a bad manager for us!

I totally respect the views of those fans who don't like him and want maybe a Evans style of Liverpool again? just saying I am one of those who think he's done a great job making us difficult to break down in the league and Europe and a team that can beat anyone on our day. He had a bad season as well as Gerrard and Carra thats it.

Thats why he (previously) has success in the CL. Beat anyone on any given day. Unfortunately, the prem league is 38 given days.

Thats why he (previously) has success in the CL. Beat anyone on any given day. Unfortunately, the prem league is 38 given days.

True James - It wasnt unitl last season we looked capable of competing for both. Thats why a few more top players would make us more able to challenge for the whole season.

Utd might be in the same sitaution this season as were last season, out of the CL and a close second in the League.

Actually as much as i agree with the criticism Rafa gets, and as much as i too am guilty of slagging him off on this thread, i do have sympathy for Stevie having to constantly defend the man to supporters of other clubs and wonder whether he might have reached the stage of just thinking "fukc them, i can't be arsed with this, let them believe what they want to believe".

kind of rix, but then there are plenty of liverpool fans who share the same view as fans of rival clubs too. my thoughts on rafa and the facts about the club at present are well-documented in this thread plus i'm just better informed about the situation and know more about football than most. :)

also there's no point in me bothering with friend sharecropper's posts. he's a bitter blue and has spent his entire adult life disappointed. arguing with him is like kicking a puppy. :D

Edited by StevieH

I remember listening to same dribble last year ... I came accross a more balanced and factual article in March 2009 :D on Rafa's transfers (Link Below) - It's only dribble cos you don't agree with it Dev but in reality, it isn't a million miles away from the truth..

LINK

So your saying that Geln Johson was a bad signing? and that as you well know the deal was not structured that way we had money owed from Portsmouth! We sold Arbeloa and needed width via full backs to break down teams at home. It was working very well until injuires - who else was on the market? Alves we couldnt buy him at the time due to funds. - Great Player Glen Johnson, i've loved him for Years but was he a necessity given the fact that you obviously needed to strengthen other areas as a more urgent priority ?? & however you want to shape it up, Pompey owing or not owing, he cost 18m.

Torres- Well Fergie certianly didnt know that as they didnt want him??? - How does anyone & no disresepct, you, know that for sure ??

Aqualani - was and is a big gamble! agreed - but considering he was the starlet of Roma the 'New Totti' to come throught the ranks it is strange to say nobody would buy him? If he wasnt injured he would of cost more than 20 M for sure. We will get more than back if sold in the future back to a Italian club if he doesnt work out in the Premier league. I belive or hope he will be a star at Liverpool and I never expected much until he played a season injury free. Yes the jury is still out but 20M is ok considering we got 30+ M for Alonso and considering his potential. - Where doe sthe " new Totti " tag come from.. I think i posted when you bought him that the Boy averaged soemthing like 15 or 16 Games per Season for Roma, that's it so forget about injury free Seson's as he's looking more & more like the " new Keiron Dyer " with every day that passes..20m on an unproven, injury plagued Midfielder & you say 20m is ok ??? WOW !!

You completly miss the fact that the only players reamining since Houliers period is Gerrard and Carra- I think this is a much better squad than then. So you make a point of the number of buys - do they inc first and second team? and did you consider the actual profit loss or just the spend value? LFC didnt come up with 220M Pounds that for sure! - You really think it's a better squad now compared to a Season where you won 5 Trophies was it ?? Are you on Drugs Mr Devil ?? :D How can that possibly be ?? You have gone from last Year being a genuine Title contender to this Year, losing 10 Games so far in teh League, getting knocked out against a Championship Side in teh FA Cup after 210 mins of Football, i dread to think what happened in teh League Cup & you didn't even get through the Group stages of the CL & you think you have a better Squad than a Season when you won 5 Trophies ?? :)