Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

dalglish didn't take any compensation. declined it.

I think that is actually an urban myth - the sort of thing that Kenny might do I will admit.

I read the same somewhere but I think the Liverpool Echo said otherwise.

My feeling on Kenny is that FSG were quick to sack Kenny because he really wasnt their type of appointment in the first place (and of course the results were terrible.) I think they felt largely compelled to appoint him as permanent manager because Kenny's results as interim manager were so good. FSG have really said all along that they wanted a young, ambitious, up and coming manager for Liverpool. I think Brendan Rodgers very much fits the sort of profile they were looking to make in the beginning.

As you say, I think the more you read up about Rodgers, the more impressive he seems. I suspect that some of the supporters who are acting like bellends on the news sites - hasnt won anything, not good enough etc - havent bothered to learn anything about him.

I think that is actually an urban myth - the sort of thing that Kenny might do I will admit.

I read the same somewhere but I think the Liverpool Echo said otherwise.

My feeling on Kenny is that FSG were quick to sack Kenny because he really wasnt their type of appointment in the first place (and of course the results were terrible.) I think they felt largely compelled to appoint him as permanent manager because Kenny's results as interim manager were so good. FSG have really said all along that they wanted a young, ambitious, up and coming manager for Liverpool. I think Brendan Rodgers very much fits the sort of profile they were looking to make in the beginning.

As you say, I think the more you read up about Rodgers, the more impressive he seems. I suspect that some of the supporters who are acting like bellends on the news sites - hasnt won anything, not good enough etc - havent bothered to learn anything about him.

I said before that I would be happy with Rogers and I still am. To be honest though I would have preferred him to have come in after Kenny had said " OK time for me to move on" and Rogers moved into position after another year improving Swansea and showing it was no flash in the pan. I hope that Downing can be utilized in the new team as he played well for Villa in a team that liked to attack quickly. I really do hope so because I was disappointed with him up until the last few games. I also see that Brendan (you see I know him already) has been told no taking Swansea's players. Who do you think he would have asked to go with him, and who would you have wanted?

Thought Rodgers did well in the press conference and also his first LFCTV interview, handled the media spot on and came across as a genuine, likeable, intelligent guy but has a bit if presence about himself and seems to be his own man. I liked how he spoke over Ian Ayre a bit, when a Journo asked about a DOF role and he made certain we all knew he was having non of that.

It's all about transfer targets and who we sign now...it must be a dead cert he's going to bring in Joe Allen with him? And that might be the pinnacle to which we shape the type of play around, Allen would work well with Lucas in the middle - just a thought anyway.

Will we see relentless attacking football next season? I hope so but wonder how he will set up for the away Europa league games, that will be a early test for him and new experience.

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

And I cant but help feel a little smirk as they've in my opinion picked the wrong man, Martinez is the man, he made Swansea into what they are now, rodgers just fine tuned it and kept the boat going IE u could say he he got lucky. whilst Failing at reading and watford, Martinez has Battled against the odds and kept Wigan for ? seasons in the prem and bought plenty cheapish players improved them and sold them V V well. I know it's a little disloyal , but i'de almost happily suffer a poor early season to get rid of Ari and bring in Martinez.

I did the Martinez vs Rodgers comparison when we seemed to be looking at both.

3 things struck me (at least) in favor of Rodgers.

1. The Martinez made Swansea what it is argument doesnt stack up. When Rodgers took over from Sousa in July 2010 the club wage bill was 8.3m quid. Rodgers has subsequently built up the team into one that could qualify from the Championship and compete in the PL. I dont know what their wage bill is now but I imagine it is at least 35m (Wigan's say is 39m). So it is Rodgers team, built I might add for less than the cost of Jordan Henderson and a team that had 63% possession against Liverpool in the last match of the season.

2. Really Martinez's results at Wigan are just a bit better than ok. He gets credit for keeping the smallest club in the PL up 3 years in a row - but they are small in terms of revenue not wage bill. Their wage bill of 39m is about 15th and is subsidized by about 7m a year by Whelan. Perhaps a more telling stat is that Martinez's win % is 26.8% while the previous Wigan manager, Steve Bruce, achieved a win % of 33%.

3. Some people like Martinez's longer track record in management. What I like about Rodgers is, that I unlike most managers, he didnt have a playing career. So that he has a background with over 15 years in coaching with stints in Spain and Holland as well as under Mourinho at Chelsea.

Seems to me people are going round and round in circles about this DOF stuff. Ayre announced two weeks ago that there was to be no DOF. Whelan brought the whole issue up but he is not a spokesman for Liverpool.

From today's press release.

At Liverpool, Rodgers' primary focus will be the first team but he'll also work extensively in collaboration with the new football operations structure as the team adheres to the continental football Sporting Director model. Further details on this structure will be provided in due course.

Seems to me people are going round and round in circles about this DOF stuff. Ayre announced two weeks ago that there was to be no DOF. Whelan brought the whole issue up but he is not a spokesman for Liverpool.

From today's press release.

At Liverpool, Rodgers' primary focus will be the first team but he'll also work extensively in collaboration with the new football operations structure as the team adheres to the continental football Sporting Director model. Further details on this structure will be provided in due course.

There will be no DOF at Liverpool because no manager would work under one - neither Martinez nor Rodgers. Not because the Yankie owners decided it would be a bad idea. So their cod-management philosophy is already in tatters.

At some point the new crop of managers had to be given a chance. You should be proud that your club has jumped in first and taken a bit of a leap of faith.

Get behind the manager and give him time....he plays good attractive football from what I have seen. The days when SAF was appointed have long gone....you won't find a young UK manager with that pedigree again. There is simply too much money involved nowadays.

• Like 1

Remember the old debate about how much effect does Europa League have on your league form. Well someone has bothered to do the work a new study by Raymond Verheijen finds the effect is quite dramatic.

His research covers 27,000 matches, 7 countries over the last 9 years.

Some of the key findings.

Playing in the Europa League on a Thursday and then in the League on Sunday reduces the average win % of a club from 46.1% to 32.6%. Conversely the loss percentage increase from 23.9% to 37.7%. The average cost per Europa game on a league game is 0.41 points per game.

For clubs playing CL on a Wednesday and then again in the league on the Saturday, their win percentage falls from 62.2% to 43.8% and conversely their loss percentage rises from 8.7% to 26.9% (by a factor of over 200%!). The average cost of playing a CL game on a league game is 0.55 points per game.

A summary of the report can be found at http://worldfootballacademy.com/

Remember the old debate about how much effect does Europa League have on your league form. Well someone has bothered to do the work a new study by Raymond Verheijen finds the effect is quite dramatic.

Playing in the Europa League on a Thursday and then in the League on Sunday reduces the average win % of a club from 46.1% to 32.6%. Conversely the loss percentage increase from 23.9% to 37.7%. The average cost per Europa game on a league game is 0.41 points per game.

For clubs playing CL on a Wednesday and then again in the league on the Saturday, their win percentage falls from 62.2% to 43.8% and conversely their loss percentage rises from 8.7% to 26.9% (by a factor of over 200%!). The average cost of playing a CL game on a league game is 0.55 points per game.

I'm not sure about this. We fielded our youngsters and subsequently it had little or no effect on our league form. If anything the europa was very helpful to Spurs but not for the reasons UEFA intended.

I'm not sure about this. We fielded our youngsters and subsequently it had little or no effect on our league form. If anything the europa was very helpful to Spurs but not for the reasons UEFA intended.

Actually Spurs gets a special mention in the report basically saying that as you treated the competition as a joke and failed to get past the Group stages you gave yourself a good chance of qualifying for CL (words to that effect anyways.)

It reckons that Atheltico Madrid, who won the competition, might have finished 4th (instead of 6th) without it and therefore have qualified for the qualifying round of CL.

Actually Spurs gets a special mention in the report basically saying that as you treated the competition as a joke and failed to get past the Group stages you gave yourself a good chance of qualifying for CL (words to that effect anyways.)

It reckons that Atheltico Madrid, who won the competition, might have finished 4th (instead of 6th) without it and therefore have qualified for the qualifying round of CL.

The prize money alone compaired to the champions league makes it a joke.

We used it in its true capacity, which is to give game time and experience to our youngsters and squad players. i was delighted with our stance on europa and happy to see us take a greater interest in a committed FA cup run.

UEFA is responsible for devaluing this competition and its up to that pikey Platini to restore its value.

it's not mate.

Anything solid on this in print? Or just rumours?

it's not mate.

I doubt that theres anything in print. People the world over, not just Liverpool fans, tend to believe what they want to believe.

Rafa and Roy took the cash thats for sure. And if our boss gets rid of <deleted> features he'll have to pay him every last dime.

I doubt that theres anything in print. People the world over, not just Liverpool fans, tend to believe what they want to believe.

Rafa and Roy took the cash thats for sure. And if our boss gets rid of <deleted> features he'll have to pay him every last dime.

So perhaps your manager's face only resembles a pair of gonads cos that's what you want to believe. biggrin.png

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18296948

What is the BBC on about Liverpool fans are unique... carmine ??

At the height of their powers, the great Anfield managers of the past have had the influence of a spiritual leader and for those seeking those qualities in Rodgers, his message must have been a seductive one.

Few Anfield debuts have displayed as much conviction, charisma and confidence. At times he was firm, at others eloquent - it was clear he was alive to the feelings and sensitivities of this unique fan base.

The prize money alone compaired to the champions league makes it a joke.

We used it in its true capacity, which is to give game time and experience to our youngsters and squad players. i was delighted with our stance on europa and happy to see us take a greater interest in a committed FA cup run.

UEFA is responsible for devaluing this competition and its up to that pikey Platini to restore its value.

I don't agree with this, I think all cup competitions are there to be won,and also every game. I think a club should play their best team week in week out. We have a squad that is there as backup to the main team. I like a consistent squad playing together all the time. Apart from Bellamy who we bought knowing he would need time off.

it's not mate.

Ex-Liverpool FC boss Kenny Dalglish didn’t give up his pay-off

IT SPREAD around social networking sites to the point that it was regarded as fact.

“Kenny Dalglish has asked that the £8million compensation owed to him after his sacking be put towards new Liverpool signings. Amazing gesture,” was tweeted and retweeted.

Angry phone calls were fielded at the Echo yesterday demanding to know why the story hadn’t made it into print.

The simple reason is it’s not true. The exact terms of Dalglish’s severance package remain confidential but he rightly walked away with a generous pay-off and the figure was agreed by all parties involved.

Something along the above lines appeared in Liverpool's local paper after they were asked to run the story confirming Kenny's alleged gesture.

Edited by wilai

At some point the new crop of managers had to be given a chance. You should be proud that your club has jumped in first and taken a bit of a leap of faith.

Get behind the manager and give him time....he plays good attractive football from what I have seen. The days when SAF was appointed have long gone....you won't find a young UK manager with that pedigree again. There is simply too much money involved nowadays.

I agree with this. Give Rodgers time. I feel horrible for Kenny but we can't do anything about it now. I also don't want us to become a club with a new manager every year or two years which has happened in the last two years. Has there ever been a time when we've had so many managers in such a short amount of time? I think not but correct me if I'm wrong.

As for managers, what's the obsession with having to hire a 60-something manager who's won 10 league titles in other countries and a bajillion other trophies? Every manager always has a first, and if it's a young manager, it's unlikely he's even had the chance to win major honors. Look at Pep Guardiola. Ok he won major honors as a player but what had he done as a manager before Barca? Well, he had managed Barca B and that was it. And look how that turned out! He massively over-achieved in my opinion, even though he had a great squad. He probably did far better than anyone could have imagined in just four years at Barca.

Of course it's not going to be the same with Liverpool and Rodgers as it's different circumstances. But I want to see Rodgers given time and he has already shown amazing acumen while over-achieving with Swansea. If he can get our superior squad playing the same way we should start seeing a turn in our league form very soon. He may have to bring in a few players who he feels are perfect for his system. I love his brand of football, he's actually had a lot of experience learning under managers like Mourinho and he's tasted both success and failure, which is actually good as it appears he's learned from both. Liverpool is a big step up in terms of pressure and scrutinity but at least he's had a taste of what it's like behind the scenes at a big club while working for Chelsea.

I'm fully behind him and optimistic for the future. But then again, I am a Liverpool fan!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18296948

At the height of their powers, the great Anfield managers of the past have had the influence of a spiritual leader and for those seeking those qualities in Rodgers, his message must have been a seductive one.

Few Anfield debuts have displayed as much conviction, charisma and confidence. At times he was firm, at others eloquent - it was clear he was alive to the feelings and sensitivities of this unique fan base.

AN executive summary of all the glowing press he received might be "Expectations are high".......

I am also enjoying the temerity of Swansea players telling Liverpool players how much they will enjoy playing under Rodgers!

Edited by sharecropper

Oh for Gods sake!!! were so f_cking special, rafa loves us and we have a huge persecution complex and you don't understand us..............take a day off. Yes that right, you're soooo special. Now, can i have my hub caps back please.

Oh for Gods sake!!! were so f_cking special, rafa loves us and we have a huge persecution complex and you don't understand us..............take a day off. Yes that right, you're soooo special. Now, can i have my hub caps back please.

Got to laugh ain't ya

Tom Werner added: "The style of football Brendan is associated with is exactly what we want see at Anfield."

What the fuc_k would a yank know about "style of football" I wonder how long he has actually been interested in football and i use the word "interested" loosely 34.gif

• Like 1

Got to laugh ain't ya

Tom Werner added: "The style of football Brendan is associated with is exactly what we want see at Anfield."

What the fuc_k would a yank know about "style of football" I wonder how long he has actually been interested in football and i use the word "interested" loosely 34.gif

Werner probably thinks the ball is shaped like an egg.

the gospel according to Kenny Rogers

Carms, do you think Werner knows about the "Liverpool Way" ? i'm guessing it is a yes and thats why he wanted to take over 4.gif

''Liverpool way'' is that what they call the east lancs road these days!

Edited by highchol