Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Agreed, a totally over used often inappropriate term, And very difficult/ impossible to define but could a bench mark be leading average teams to world cup final triumphs?, not sure. But defo should be reserved for real elite, in my time only Pele and maradona meet that criterion, with the uk offering only Best for sheer well documented ability and the effervescent Gazza only those 2, imo, have had the required skill set to get anywhere near that level.

it's a really difficult one to categorise and pigeonhole. are you talking about 'world class' meaning the best 5 players ever? best 10? would the player get in a best of all time XI?

steven gerrard has definitely been world class you see, for a few years of his career at least. maybe longer even. as in was he in the top handful of players in the world at that time, which between about 2005 and 2009 he certainly was. not sure paul gascoigne ever was. talented as anything yeah but didn't particularly achieve much in his career really.

Yes, I think world class should be reserved for truly the greats and for sure gazza was the nearest weve have had to that, U think there's doubt? google sir alex's comments on him, Pre injury Gazza could do things on football pitch that still to this day, probably with the exception of maradona, i've yet to other footballers do. His injury on civy street was severe enuf for him to be classified as disabled and yet he still performed at the top level. Over the years We can reel of the players that at some point, for a short time, in their career at there position they have been have been amongst the worlds best , gerrard, owen, beckham, cole, Moore, Greaves, dalgliesh, keegan, the list can go on and on we've had more than enuf, but they fall well short of the true elite, perhaps to call them international quality footballers would be more appropriate.

. ,

What is Owen doing on this list?

Agreed, a totally over used often inappropriate term, And very difficult/ impossible to define but could a bench mark be leading average teams to world cup final triumphs?, not sure. But defo should be reserved for real elite, in my time only Pele and maradona meet that criterion, with the uk offering only Best for sheer well documented ability and the effervescent Gazza only those 2, imo, have had the required skill set to get anywhere near that level.

steven gerrard has definitely been world class you see, for a few years of his career at least. maybe longer even. as in was he in the top handful of players in the world at that time, which between about 2005 and 2009 he certainly was. not sure paul gascoigne ever was. talented as anything yeah but didn't particularly achieve much in his career really.

Whats achieving anything got to do with being a world class player ? Gascoigne was in shit teams for most of his career so difficult to win things if thats what you mean by achieve.

In my book, to be classed as a world class player you have to do it consistantly on the international stage, something Gerrard has never done and thats why he has sometimes struggled to play in his favourite position, Gascoigne on the other hand was consistantly Englands best player and Englands shining light something Gerrard has never been.

We all know how much you love Gerrard Stevie but don't let that cloud your judgement when comparing him with someone like Gascoigne because in my book there is no comparison.

• Like 1

Whats achieving anything got to do with being a world class player ? Gascoigne was in shit teams for most of his career so difficult to win things if thats what you mean by achieve.

In my book, to be classed as a world class player you have to do it consistantly on the international stage, something Gerrard has never done and thats why he has sometimes struggled to play in his favourite position, Gascoigne on the other hand was consistantly Englands best player and Englands shining light something Gerrard has never been.

We all know how much you love Gerrard Stevie but don't let that cloud your judgement when comparing him with someone like Gascoigne because in my book there is no comparison.

Spot on

don't know where to begin with this alfie. how can you be a world class player when you never won anything nor played consistently at the highest level (which is the champions league by the way, not international)? gascoigne was talented, gifted even, but never a world class performer because he simply never did it other than a few seasons for rangers in scotland. see also the genius matt le tissier - great player too, but world class? never in a million years, 'cos he won and did nothing. gascoigne had about half a dozen good games for england - that's not doing it consistently at the highest level alfie. come on.

gerrard captained his much unfancied club team to the european cup. he's scored in every major cup final you can score in. short of winning the league title he's done just about everything. world class player? perhaps not, but then very few fall into that category. but certainly top, top class and one of england's best ever quite comfortably. but then if you judge only on how they've performed in an england shirt you might as well end the list of great english players at moore, charlton and banks.

played consistently at the highest level (which is the champions league by the way, not international)?

I always thought the highest level was playing International Football but obviously to suit your argument it isn't !

Just a quick question Stevie, who's been the best player for England, Gazza or Gerrard, just one name will suffice !

Edited by alfieconn

don't know where to begin with this alfie. how can you be a world class player when you never won anything nor played consistently at the highest level (which is the champions league by the way, not international)? gascoigne was talented, gifted even, but never a world class performer because he simply never did it other than a few seasons for rangers in scotland. see also the genius matt le tissier - great player too, but world class? never in a million years, 'cos he won and did nothing. gascoigne had about half a dozen good games for england - that's not doing it consistently at the highest level alfie. come on.

gerrard captained his much unfancied club team to the european cup. he's scored in every major cup final you can score in. short of winning the league title he's done just about everything. world class player? perhaps not, but then very few fall into that category. but certainly top, top class and one of england's best ever quite comfortably. but then if you judge only on how they've performed in an england shirt you might as well end the list of great english players at moore, charlton and banks.

Stevie sori mate but gazza v gerrard, gazza'a on a diferent planet

In terms of skill sets Gerrard is just a typical english footballer, he all about e being competitive energy, power and pace, aka robson

Gazza had the skill set to be up there with pele, marradona ect ect

I agree with Ferguson, post 66 world cup he's been Englands GREATEST player

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/20/2918493/paul-gascoigne-is-the-only-world-star-england-have-produced

Gaston Ramirez, reports are we have got him ?? That's a good start to the signings if it's true!

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

I think he's decided to go to Spurs aswell Dev mate! biggrin.png

I'm loving these comparisons between Gerrard and Gazzaermm.gifrolleyes.gif what do you think?

Personally speaking, when its comes down to natural talent, Gerrard isn't fit to clean his boots

Just a quick question Stevie, who's been the best player for England, Gazza or Gerrard, just one name will suffice !

well, neither of them really. they've both underachieved with england while one of them has had a good club career. gascoigne was (probably) england's most gifted footballer of the last 50 years, yes. that doesn't make him a 'great' though. because he achieved little to nothing in his career.

In terms of skill sets Gerrard is just a typical english footballer, he all about e being competitive energy, power and pace, aka robson

look, what did gascoigne actually do though? he lobbed a ball over colin hendry's head and scored a great volley. he cried at a world cup. he did a dentist's chair goal celebration. he won a few titles in scotland.

bracketing gazza with maradona and pele is just daft i'm afraid. genius he might have been but we never really saw it did we?

well, neither of them really. they've both underachieved with england while one of them has had a good club career. gascoigne was (probably) england's most gifted footballer of the last 50 years, yes. that doesn't make him a 'great' though. because he achieved little to nothing in his career.

look, what did gascoigne actually do though? he lobbed a ball over colin hendry's head and scored a great volley. he cried at a world cup. he did a dentist's chair goal celebration. he won a few titles in scotland.

bracketing gazza with maradona and pele is just daft i'm afraid. genius he might have been but we never really saw it did we?

I agree, not to be compaired with those two but with regards english comparisons he was peerless. Then, although they were different types of players you have Scholes and ofcourse Beardsly, who was an incredibly talented creature

Yes we did see it , he was THE best player at that 1990 tourne,out shone all, even Maradona. and pre injury he was undoubtly the best in the prem/1st? and arguably Europe for sure in terms of medals he lack's. but does that put Neville up there with the greats? stevie g, robson all the likely candidates never got anywhere near the level that gazza reached.

Gaston Ramirez, reports are we have got him ?? That's a good start to the signings if it's true!

I think he's decided to go to Spurs aswell Dev mate! biggrin.png

I'm loving these comparisons between Gerrard and Gazzaermm.gifrolleyes.gif what do you think?

Personally speaking, when its comes down to natural talent, Gerrard isn't fit to clean his boots

Has he? Thought the Uruguay connection might of been a good reason to go to LFC.

Gerrard v Gazza - two totally different style of players to be fair.

Although I loved watching Gazza and thought John Barnes was up there too... went to a few Spurs games and thought him and Nayim were great to watch for their technical abilities.

But there is a point about the level you played at...

As a example, I remember watching Morecambe reserves and Everton B and Tony Cottie was coming back from a long injury layoff... That night he scored 7-8 goals and won 8-1 I think...and every goal was bang in the top corner or he did something amazing so they couldn't touch him - he looked ' world class' on the night :)

Yes we did see it , he was THE best player at that 1990 tourne,out shone all, even Maradona. and pre injury he was undoubtly the best in the prem/1st? and arguably Europe for sure in terms of medals he lack's. but does that put Neville up there with the greats? stevie g, robson all the likely candidates never got anywhere near the level that gazza reached.

no, now you're going off on one. the best player at world cup 1990 without question was lothar matthaus of west germany. other stars of that tournament were toto schillaci, roger milla, jurgen klinsmann. . . .gazza made it into the team of the tournament and had a good world cup, but he was no way the best player there.

you can have gifted players, geniuses and then players who have made the most of what they've got and had great careers. i'd put gazza in the first one, gifted player. genius? nah. and great career? never in a million.

Is this anything more than speculation? http://www.dailymail...uis-Suarez.html

personally it wouldn't surprise me if he left and juve, to me, look as good a destination, barring barca and real, as any..

He's certainly been "dead man walking" since FSG hung him out to dry over the Evra affair They should have either backed him, or sacked him right there and then

I can also see the likes of Škrtel and Reina moving soon, too. Maybe not this window but next, if a club comes in with a decent enough contract.

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

personally it wouldn't surprise me if he left and juve, to me, look as good a destination, barring barca and real, as any..

Well there were bound to be rumours about Suarez this transfer window whether anything comes of them or not.

Not convinced that he is likely to go to Juventus - I dont think they have got the money (they already have 63m euro outstanding to other clubs.) They seem keen on RVP and supposedly put in a bid of 8m quid over the weekend. Rodgers is keen for him to stay and is hoping he will sign a new contract.

I am surprised we havent lost anyone after the season we had but I guess there is plenty of the transfer window still to go.

He's certainly been "dead man walking" since FSG hung him out to dry over the Evra affair They should have either backed him, or sacked him right there and then

I can also see the likes of Škrtel and Reina moving soon, too. Maybe not this window but next, if a club comes in with a decent enough contract.

Penkoprod

Yeah , wouldn't surprise me if he moved, think the heirachy haven't exactly helped the cause, they seemed to take every opportunity to handle the situ badly. from there onto the way they handled Whelens barbed comments around martinez, forget martinez but whelens comments about the lack of representation from the heirachy at the away match, just rang a bell and made me think that 'the hands on' management from america overall isn't helping liverpool.

Rumour going round that AC MIlan are intersted in...........Andy Carrollrolleyes.gif

Penkoprod

Not a chance.

I heard the Sunday League side "Cunning Stunts" wanted him on account of his amateur dramatics which the big lad displays whenever someone messes up his hair in a challenge..

There's a report in the Belfast media that ex-Rangers captain Steve Davis will be a free transfer capture. I've seen plenty of the guy, he will be good at shoring up the midfield, we're needing a guy that can put his foot on the ball and take some of the stress off Gerrard.

Edited by theblether

There's a report in the Belfast media that ex-Rangers captain Steve Davis will be a free transfer capture. I've seen plenty of the guy, he will be good at shoring up the midfield, we're needing a guy that can put his foot on the ball and take some of the stress off Gerrard.

Apart from Gerrard, there's Henderson, Downing, Spearing, Leiva, Rodriguez, Adam, Shelvey, and Sterling. plus the likes of Joe Cole and Aquilani on their way back, so i think we got the midfield area of the team fairly well covered.And, while we all have our opinions of those on the list, eleven midfielders in a squad is enough, dont you think?

We DO miss Alonso, though, thats for sure

I'm a little weary of getting people "with potential" in all the time.

Some of the above were bought because they had this "potential"

We now have a manager "with potential" Its all a bit "vague" at Anfield at the moment.

Penkoprod

Apart from Gerrard, there's Henderson, Downing, Spearing, Leiva, Rodriguez, Adam, Shelvey, and Sterling. plus the likes of Joe Cole and Aquilani on their way back, so i think we got the midfield area of the team fairly well covered.And, while we all have our opinions of those on the list, eleven midfielders in a squad is enough, dont you think?

We now have a manager "with potential" Its all a bit "vague" at Anfield at the moment.

Penkoprod

Problem is though that beit that they are on their way back only two or three of them are any good

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-on-luis-signings-season

Rodgers on Luis, signings & season

Brendan Rodgers gave an in-depth interview to radio station TalkSport on Tuesday morning, in which the new Liverpool manager spoke about a variety of topics including working with Luis Suarez and potential new signings.

The boss explained how he is hoping to bolster the Reds' squad over the coming weeks, whilst also revealing that he's enjoyed a 'brilliant chat' with Suarez ahead of the new campaign.

Here's what Rodgers had to say...

Brendan, congratulations - you're at a fantastic football club...

It's incredible. Since the appointment I've spent quite a bit of time in Liverpool and it's a real privilege to be the manager of a great club steeped in history. It has been fantastic and I have been afforded a great welcome in Liverpool. I'm really looking forward to getting the ball out tomorrow and starting work.

The start of the Europa League is not far away, is it?

The first game is August 2 so we have brought the players back in a bit earlier - the players who have been off since the end of the season. Most players are ready to come back now; it has been quite a bit of time off. All the boys have been brilliant. I have spoken to most of them on the phone and met up with one or two. I am really looking forward to working with them.

Spain have proved once again they are streets ahead...

They are absolutely magnificent. I found it a bit disrespectful listening to people talking about them being boring. I thought that deflected away from a lot of the work, the teaching and the courage that the players have to play that way. Also, the hard work that goes in to getting a group of players to play that way. Obviously a lot came from Barcelona and Real Madrid, but they have produced a model of work in the last four or five years which has changed the history of their country as well as their club football. They have been held out for everyone to look at and rightly so, because they have been absolutely magnificent.

Are they the best national side you have seen?

Certainly in my time. An incredible team. The courage and the work that goes into asking players to play that way, and these guys just churn it out week in and week out. And when it arrives at big competitions, they produce as well. We [swansea City] used to defend with the ball and people in this country don't quite understand that - they think that you defend without the ball. They had times when they rested with the football, and that was their way of defending because you can't press and can't always score every minute of the game. How they do it and how it is all co-ordinated is absolutely fantastic. But the most important thing is that it is effective, and it is brilliant to watch.

They played without a striker. Can you see Premier League sides doing that?

Yes, I did that last year. I think it is all about penetration. We talked a lot and it is something I will look to bring [to Liverpool]: possession is no good on its own, it has to be with penetration. If you look at the goals Spain scored in the final, they had penetration as well as possession. Fabregas was playing a striker but he wasn't really, he was free and loose. The pass that he received off his run in behind set up the first goal for Silva, the second goal came from the penetration from the left-back, Alba, who made a great run. The third goal came from them winning it back early in the transition and Torres made the penetrating run in behind. I think sometimes it is very easy to pinpoint a striker will always play as a striker. You see with Spain, and Barcelona with Messi, it is something that works. What is important is what the players do in those positions and that allows you to win games.

Last year Liverpool struggled defensively, is that something you will work on?

I think any football team, especially when you play possession football, is going to try to limit the opponent to few chances and that will be the idea. If you look at Liverpool's record last year, I think Kenny was very unlucky. They had so many games that they dominated but just failed to hit the back of the net, and defensively they were reasonably strong. It is just a case of trying to improve on what has been happening in the last couple of years and giving the players confidence to go and win games.

The Anfield crowd are patient, so you're at the right club...

Absolutely and that was key for me if I was going to leave Swansea, which I was in no rush to because the club, the city and the supporters were absolutely incredible. They understood that way and I always felt that Swansea supporters were very much like Liverpool supporters - very much educated in football. When you watched Liverpool through the 1980s, whenever they passed back to keep the ball, the crowd applauded because they were educated, they understood the game. It was always going to be very important for me if I left Swansea to go to another club that it was the right type of club. Liverpool is the perfect club for me.

Is the size and tradition of Liverpool not intimidating to you?

No, it is very much inspiring. I have been so inspired by everything I have seen. This is a real football institution. I walk into the training ground every day and you have the European Cup, a bust of Bill Shankly, and in my office I am surrounded by a photo of great players and managers of the past. I embrace that because it is very inspirational. I am in no way intimidated, I am just looking forward to playing a part in hopefully changing the history of the club.

Liverpool fans will be desperate to hear about transfers and the headlines about Suarez...

I very much keep my own counsel and it is certainly the Liverpool way to do that. I am looking to potentially bring in some players that can really affect the group. I have got a wonderful group of players here at the moment. I read every day players that are linked with Liverpool. Unfortunately, especially for the supporters, it is a difficult time because you have agents linking players with Liverpool just purely because it is great for them to be linked with such an institution of a club. But the reality is that there are very few players who could actually come and make a difference at Liverpool. That is something we will always keep close to our chest. I have had a brilliant chat with Luis, he is really looking forward to being here and we are obviously hoping to get him on another contract. He is really looking forward to the new season.

You had a lot of love for Swansea but was it a case of not being able to turn Liverpool down?

I couldn't. It was such an emotional, difficult decision in terms of leaving Swansea. I was in no rush to leave, I had a brilliant relationship with the chairman - Huw Jenkins - who is a wonderful man and strategically he has positioned the club brilliantly. He and I had a good relationship. As a city, they were magnificent for me; they looked after me and my family. So I was in absolutely no rush to leave there. But a club like Liverpool, with the history and a real institution which I have felt in the first two or three weeks of how big a club it is, they don't come calling very often. When you get that opportunity to go to a club like Liverpool and hopefully help it improve, it is very difficult to turn down. In my professional career and challenge, it was a great step for me.

A very interesting article a,d i like what BR has to say. But where on earth did he get the impression that the Anfield crowd is patient? More likely to be undermined and verbally abused.

Fortunately for him i reckon he start off well otherwise the vile abuse and chanting will start up again very quickly.

A very interesting article a,d i like what BR has to say. But where on earth did he get the impression that the Anfield crowd is patient? More likely to be undermined and verbally abused.

Fortunately for him i reckon he start off well otherwise the vile abuse and chanting will start up again very quickly.

I disagree with any ideas that he won't be give reasonable time. He likes to play attractive football...we saw that with his Swansea side...that alone will buy him time. The Scousers might get carried away at timestongue.png But they appreciate attacking football as much as we do mate.

give over you big drama queen. what 'vile abuse'? the worst hodgson got was 'hodgson for england' and he was very lucky to get away with that.

liverpool fans historically have been notoriously patient and supportive of all managers who don't come in and slag off the fans and club legends the second they've got their foot through the door (yes, hodgson again).

• Like 1

give over you big drama queen. what 'vile abuse'? the worst hodgson got was 'hodgson for england' and he was very lucky to get away with that.

liverpool fans historically have been notoriously patient and supportive of all managers who don't come in and slag off the fans and club legends the second they've got their foot through the door (yes, hodgson again).

biggrin.png Do you know how long i've been trying to get a rise out of you on this one!!

Seriously though, that midfield needs a bit of bolstering because i really don't see Downing and Henderson stepping up to the plate and Spearing not a starting player. If Gerrard and/or Lucas gets badly crocked there not a lot of back up. Adam should/will be off soon too i'd have thought

Penkoprod

Problem is though that beit that they are on their way back only two or three of them are any good

Like i say, its OK saying "they are no good" or that they got potential, or whatever. We all have our opinions, afterall .

But theres 11 of them and thats not counting the players in defence that like to get up in attack, too. Enrique, Johnson and Kelly spring to mind.

Perhaps the problem is TOO MANY providing to those that didnt do the job in the final third of the pitch, neglecting their defensive duties along the way. And it doesnt matter how rosy the glasses are, we didnt do the business in those respects last season. Lowest goals tally that i can remember, and games lost where we dominated.

The fact that Davis is on a free might have some bearing as to why he is being linked to the club, perhaps?

The signs are we wont be getting THAT big a budget to deal with all the deficiencies at the club, but i dont think midfield is where any of an inadequate amount is a priority.

Its going to be a case of build on what we have already, and try and get the best out of them, because these owners have deep pockets, but only short arms

Penkoprod