Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Isn't it one of life's little ironies that Brendan and Joe left for a 'bigger club' and a 'higher level', but are having to breathe the Swans' exhaust fumes? Obviously they hadn't come across the Thai nickname for 'Liverpuun', loosely translated I believe as a team that piles defeat on defeat.

Isn't there a girl in a bar somewhere you should be paying to listen to your dribble?

I was merely trying to educate you about the Thai nickname for your team. I'll leave the bar girls to you, but if you find an intelligent one ask her what 'Liverpuun' means. And it is drivel not dribble, though I think some of your lot will certainly be dribbling into your lager if you don't get a result at the Liberty.

Never heard this one, ever. Hey, maybe it's right but I've never heard it.

Do you speak Thai? In Thai, if an "l" is at the end of a word it's pronounced as an "n," which any ESL teacher finds out pretty quick as it's hard to get Thai students just learning English to pronounce "l's" at the end of words as "l's" rather than the "n" sound.

So, "Liverpoon," (or "Liverpuun") is just the normal way a Thai person would pronounce the word "Liverpool." Talked with plenty of taxi drivers who had the LFC badge all over their taxi pronounce it "Liverpoon" and not after losses or in frustration. So, I'm not really sure where you got this one. Doesn't make any sense at all to me.

It's an uphill struggle to educate you scousers! As you say, Thai words ending in 'l' are pronounced as though they end in 'n' (as in Mahidol). The joke in the derogatory nickname for your team is to change the end slightly so that 'Liver-poon' becomes 'Liver-pr-un (I put 'puun before because I'm used to the sloppy NE pronunciation but there is an 'r' there). Pr-un (or "พรุน") means porous, perforated,or having lots of holes (especially bullet holes), and came into currency during Roy's time in charge when your defence was indeed sometimes less than watertight.. I have a smattering of Thai, but perhaps more importantly have worked in the past in a professional setting away from the Western enclaves, where workmates would pass on this kind of information.

Interestingly the more complimentary nickname for your team - hong daeng or the red swans - also has a contemporary resonance. This name was supposedly adopted because the Thais couldn't see that the Liverpool mascot wasn't a swan. Today many of us think the real and better Swans are white. What was it that the Jack Army chanted last week? It sounded like 'You're just a s*** Swansea City'. That is probably the only part of this post that won't go over your heads.

Edited by citizen33

It's an uphill struggle to educate you scousers! As you say, Thai words ending in 'l' are pronounced as though they end in 'n' (as in Mahidol). The joke in the derogatory nickname for your team is to change the end slightly so that 'Liver-poon' becomes 'Liver-pr-un (I put 'puun before because I'm used to the sloppy NE pronunciation but there is an 'r' there). Pr-un (or "พรุน") means porous, perforated,or having lots of holes (especially bullet holes), and came into currency during Roy's time in charge when your defence was indeed sometimes less than watertight.. I have a smattering of Thai, but perhaps more importantly have worked in the past in a professional setting away from the Western enclaves, where workmates would pass on this kind of information.

Interestingly the more complimentary nickname for your team - hong daeng or the red swans - also has a contemporary resonance. This name was supposedly adopted because the Thais couldn't see that the Liverpool mascot wasn't a swan. Today many of us think the real and better Swans are white. What was it that the Jack Army chanted last week? It sounded like 'You're just a s*** Swansea City'. That is probably the only part of this post that won't go over your heads.

i prefer scouse <deleted> myself tongue.png

Your apparent assumption of superior intelligence and education has given you a false sense of interesting and funny hasn't it. Do you find people often just drift off, or walk away while you resonate copious amounts boring?

Edited by BangrakBob

i didn't understand a word of that. could you explain it in words of one syllable please?

Which part of 'Just a s**** Swansea City' don't you get? Your friend filled in the blanks in post 10892. Have to toddle along now!

no, i meant that you used entirely too many sesquipedalian words for my tiny mind and miniscule vocabulary to handle. hence the only part of your post not going over my head being the part about 'a shit swansea city'. perhaps i need to go and eat a dictionary.

ok, this place is an oasis of sanity now having been active in the US election thread today. obama kicked the GOP's asses, now back to the football. . .

Been trying to avoid anything to do with the US election, glad it is over Welcome back to sanity!!!

ok, this place is an oasis of sanity now having been active in the US election thread today. obama kicked the GOP's asses, now back to the football. . .

Been trying to avoid anything to do with the US election, glad it is over Welcome back to sanity!!!

it's so worth it nev. winding republicans up after this is like liverpool just won 10-0 at old trafford. it's loooooovely.

Sanity! The choice between a warmongering asset stripping bible basher and a nice enough bloke, closet marxist that has clearly no idea whatsoever how to deal with the economy which is already in meltdown

What amused me was seeing Piers Morgan, the jumped up toffee nosed knob that he is, seemingly more switched on to do the job than the candidate and the encumbant. Sanity indeed cheesy.gif

there's nothing positive about piers morgan carmine. the man's a virus.

piers morgan is an arsenal fan incidentally - football relevance.

It wasn't meant to be positive btw. More like insanity. Yes, the little sh1t never fails to throw in the Arsenal swear word. As as for his petulant tweeting rants, he's an imbecile.

Doesn't say a lot for Obama and Romney

It wasn't meant to be positive btw. More like insanity. Yes, the little sh1t never fails to throw in the Arsenal swear word. As as for his petulant tweeting rants, he's an imbecile.

there's that whole alan sugar/piers moron thing on twitter isn't there? sugar really, REALLY seems to hate him.

there's that whole alan sugar/piers moron thing on twitter isn't there? sugar really, REALLY seems to hate him.

Yes, for sure but Sugars a nasty piece of work aswell.

There isn't a Gooner I know who doesn't think Piers Morgan is a complete c**t. I had the opportunity to chin him back in '93, I really wish I'd done it now.

There isn't a Gooner I know who doesn't think Piers Morgan is a complete c**t. I had the opportunity to chin him back in '93, I really wish I'd done it now.

I wish you did too, back then he worked for that newspaper we do not speak of on here. Shame, love to know the circumstance Chicog?

Edit note: my 666 post was about Piers Morgan - that says it all, evil xxxx

Edited by BangrakBob

What did you guys do to Joe Cole?

Made an agreement that he would come and play football for us. It hasn't happened, unfortunately you cannot sack a player with 2 weeks pay.

He knows he isn't worth 50 quid a week these days so he'll just be hanging around Liverpool for another couple of years, and enjoying being paid for doing nothing and that's how he'll be remembered. Not his fault mind, but he could do the right thing and do one for regular football, he's not short of money.

Made an agreement that he would come and play football for us. It hasn't happened, unfortunately you cannot sack a player with 2 weeks pay.

He knows he isn't worth 50 quid a week these days so he'll just be hanging around Liverpool for another couple of years, and enjoying being paid for doing nothing and that's how he'll be remembered. Not his fault mind, but he could do the right thing and do one for regular football, he's not short of money.

Who signed him?

Who signed him?

West Ham originally, then Chelsea, then Liverpool I think (with a loan spell at Lille)

Edited by BangrakBob