Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

"i just don't understand City and Chelsea fans. Its not enough for you to have won the lottery, bought half a billion quids worth of players and coincidentally won the league. the rest of us would have been chuffed to bits. Oh no! Now its not about the money, its not about the history of the game. Suddenly you've all become ever so delicate and sensitive about your position amongst the elite. You are not just going to be accepted into the elite because you spend more and out bid everyone and win the odd bit of silverware. "

yes, there's a lot of that going on here. it's pretty pathetic.

You trying to make excuses as to why someone chose another club over yours is just as bad stevie. Why didn't Barry go to Liverpool the year before when Villa turned down 5 bids from you? You need to get down off your perch.

sorry you perceive it that way boj, but it isn't me that's being defensive here. i know for a fact from a lad who knows gerrard that barry told gerrard that. there are a number of reasons that barry didn't join liverpool the previous summer, none of which i can be bothered going into because they're irrelevant to this discussion. by the by one of them was that alonso, benitez's biggest mistake at liverpool, was still there and not going to real madrid.

incidentally liverpool finished 2nd in the league in 2009, just four points behind an unfathomably high-achieving man united and with a record points total for a 2nd place finish. a small matter of 36 points ahead of man city in 10th. liverpool had recently spanked united 4-1 at old trafford, walloped real madrid 5-0 on aggregate in europe and were unbelievably unlucky not to win the title. barry joined city that summer - and it was to join a team with a chance of winning trophies and not for the 3x money?

Stevie, I dont get you, I really dont.!!

Why did Barry join City?

It wasnt money alone, even you yourself admit that, according to your mates mate mate.

After Liverpool finished 2nd in 2009, your club was in turmoil. Gillett and Hicks at the helm, your lot were up in arms about it. It didnt take a rocket scientist to work out that our 2 clubs were moving in opposite diections.

Barry said he felt he had a better chance of winning trophies at City. Was he right? Liverpool have had a nightmare 3 seasons. Barry saw it coming and didnt want part of it!!

I believe he also felt he had a better chance of being a regular first teamer at City, therefore helping his England chances.

And whats with the X3 salary??? He was on less than 100k at City, so Liverpool offered him 30k? Dont think so.

Whatever the reasonS, it was the right one for him. He would have turned into a winnerless, miserable, pauper had he turned up at your placelaugh.png

But then again, you have the history, rightrolleyes.gif

My tuppence.

Footballers are paid to do a job. That right, a job. Sure it's a fantastic job, but it is still a job.

They will support a team no doubt, but its a job like any other where you want accolades and money. History is the icing on the cake or the cherry on the top, nothing more in my opinion.

Why did Rooney go to Man United? He was at his beloved Everton but jumped ship to win things and get paid handsomely.

I would make an educated guess that while footballers were growing up they dreamed of winning trophies, preferably with the team they support.

Regarding being accepted into an 'elite', I couldn't give two hoots if Chelsea are in this elite or not. I chose to support them many years ago and will never change. Jeez, for years we didn't win hardly anything and I was the only kid at school that supported Chelsea, but i never wavered. The elite tag is an image to be accepted, me, I couldn't care if I'm accepted of not, I am who I am.

For those that think history is important, how much do you put it's value at? 10k a week, 20?

Hypothetical Conversation between 2 footballers;

Player 1. I've won the cl, 3 FA cups, 1 League cup and 2 pl titles.

Player 2. I haven't won anything, but I've played with the most historic club in the world.

What would you rather tell your grand kids??

My tuppence.

Footballers are paid to do a job. That right, a job. Sure it's a fantastic job, but it is still a job.

They will support a team no doubt, but its a job like any other where you want accolades and money. History is the icing on the cake or the cherry on the top, nothing more in my opinion.

Why did Rooney go to Man United? He was at his beloved Everton but jumped ship to win things and get paid handsomely.

I would make an educated guess that while footballers were growing up they dreamed of winning trophies, preferably with the team they support.

Regarding being accepted into an 'elite', I couldn't give two hoots if Chelsea are in this elite or not. I chose to support them many years ago and will never change. Jeez, for years we didn't win hardly anything and I was the only kid at school that supported Chelsea, but i never wavered. The elite tag is an image to be accepted, me, I couldn't care if I'm accepted of not, I am who I am.

For those that think history is important, how much do you put it's value at? 10k a week, 20?

Hypothetical Conversation between 2 footballers;

Player 1. I've won the cl, 3 FA cups, 1 League cup and 2 pl titles.

Player 2. I haven't won anything, but I've played with the most historic club in the world.

What would you rather tell your grand kids??

You've missed player 3. " i don't give a monkeys what you two have done, iv'e got 10m pound in the bank"

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

"i just don't understand City and Chelsea fans. Its not enough for you to have won the lottery, bought half a billion quids worth of players and coincidentally won the league. the rest of us would have been chuffed to bits. Oh no! Now its not about the money, its not about the history of the game. Suddenly you've all become ever so delicate and sensitive about your position amongst the elite. You are not just going to be accepted into the elite because you spend more and out bid everyone and win the odd bit of silverware. "

yes, there's a lot of that going on here. it's pretty pathetic.

You trying to make excuses as to why someone chose another club over yours is just as bad stevie. Why didn't Barry go to Liverpool the year before when Villa turned down 5 bids from you? You need to get down off your perch.

sorry you perceive it that way boj, but it isn't me that's being defensive here. i know for a fact from a lad who knows gerrard that barry told gerrard that. there are a number of reasons that barry didn't join liverpool the previous summer, none of which i can be bothered going into because they're irrelevant to this discussion. by the by one of them was that alonso, benitez's biggest mistake at liverpool, was still there and not going to real madrid.

incidentally liverpool finished 2nd in the league in 2009, just four points behind an unfathomably high-achieving man united and with a record points total for a 2nd place finish. a small matter of 36 points ahead of man city in 10th. liverpool had recently spanked united 4-1 at old trafford, walloped real madrid 5-0 on aggregate in europe and were unbelievably unlucky not to win the title. barry joined city that summer - and it was to join a team with a chance of winning trophies and not for the 3x money?

Stevie, I dont get you, I really dont.!!

Why did Barry join City?

It wasnt money alone, even you yourself admit that, according to your mates mate mate.

After Liverpool finished 2nd in 2009, your club was in turmoil. Gillett and Hicks at the helm, your lot were up in arms about it. It didnt take a rocket scientist to work out that our 2 clubs were moving in opposite diections.

Barry said he felt he had a better chance of winning trophies at City. Was he right? Liverpool have had a nightmare 3 seasons. Barry saw it coming and didnt want part of it!!

I believe he also felt he had a better chance of being a regular first teamer at City, therefore helping his England chances.

And whats with the X3 salary??? He was on less than 100k at City, so Liverpool offered him 30k? Dont think so.

Whatever the reasonS, it was the right one for him. He would have turned into a winnerless, miserable, pauper had he turned up at your placelaugh.png

But then again, you have the history, rightrolleyes.gif

ok jack, disregard most of what i posted. but you sound like a chelsea fan rather than a city one.

'barry saw it coming' vs 3x the amount of money over the duration of the contract (as i pointed out previously, nothing to do with trophies) which included image rights and merchandise and the like. footballers being great analysts of the impact of club owners on clubs' futures when they sign contracts yeah?

barry chose the money and financial security for him and his family. it's not a dig at city it's a sad fact of football life. we'd not long battered real madrid 5-0 over two legs in europe and the fans at anfield were singing about paris in '81 during the match. shortly after the city fans adopted 'the poznan'. you're at least right about one club having the history. that one you can have as a dig at city.

you're at least right about one club having the history. that one you can have as a dig at city.

Man City founded 1880

Liverpool founded 1892

I'd say we have more history than you. You jumped on the football bandwagon 12 years later and probably bought the league and trophy's ever since biggrin.png

Seriously though, you talk about your history but if you take away the Shankley and Bob Paisley era of the 70's and 80's, your cupboard is probably as bare as ours (well, not quite).biggrin.png But really stevie, you must be getting tired of not winning the league for about 20 years when you had a period of winning it on a regular basis. And I don't see Henry being any better than the two previous muppets.

I hate this cos I actually have a soft spot for Liverpool after living there and going watching them many years ago. But I will defend my club.

you're at least right about one club having the history. that one you can have as a dig at city.

Man City founded 1880

Liverpool founded 1892

I'd say we have more history than you. You jumped on the football bandwagon 12 years later and probably bought the league and trophy's ever since biggrin.png

Seriously though, you talk about your history but if you take away the Shankley and Bob Paisley era of the 70's and 80's, your cupboard is probably as bare as ours (well, not quite).biggrin.png But really stevie, you must be getting tired of not winning the league for about 20 years when you had a period of winning it on a regular basis. And I don't see Henry being any better than the two previous muppets.

I hate this cos I actually have a soft spot for Liverpool after living there and going watching them many years ago. But I will defend my club.

history is more than just trophies boj, not that i really want to go down this road. it's memories based on great days and nights. unmanufactured if you will. when it was a more level playing field and the manager's skill was more important than the size of the chequebook.

yeah of course i'm tired of not winning the league, i was 17 last time we won it. but it's completely conceivable that we might never do it again. so whattayagonnado?

history is more than just trophies boj, not that i really want to go down this road. it's memories based on great days and nights. unmanufactured if you will. when it was a more level playing field and the manager's skill was more important than the size of the chequebook.

Agreed, it is about memories but not only great days and nights. As you know, we have had next to nought of those since I started supporting them but I've still had brilliant memories on our roller coaster. That's why I am bemused when some people talk about history only being about winning trophies. We have been around since 1880 and I think that is history enough.

yeah of course i'm tired of not winning the league, i was 17 last time we won it. but it's completely conceivable that we might never do it again. so whattayagonnado?

Don't get down stevie. A "sugar daddy" will be along soon. tongue.png

Christ sake, I'd rather read about Suarez than this nonsense. I don't care why he didn't come, it was up to him.

By the way I would like to tell my grandkids that I always followed my heart and never sold out anybody I ever loved

• Like 1

Man City founded 1880

Liverpool founded 1892

O's founded 1881.....sorry.gif

You all have no history! (Everton 1878)

I see Rafa ('Nothing's ever my fault, even being called "interim"') Benitez might be back on the scrap heap in the summer. I pray he'll somehow re-land the Liverpool job, if 'Kenny' Rodgers falls on his sword.

Man City founded 1880

Liverpool founded 1892

O's founded 1881.....sorry.gif

You all have no history! (Everton 1878)

I see Rafa ('Nothing's ever my fault, even being called "interim"') Benitez might be back on the scrap heap in the summer. I pray he'll somehow re-land the Liverpool job, if 'Kenny' Rodgers falls on his sword.

and if, you know, your history,

it's enough to make your heart go wonder where all the trophies are davey and where'd all the money go bill?

• Like 1

Or where your One Man team will go.....

This from Metro, about your only world class player, who may be off to Bayern this summer. And good luck to him. He actually does deserve better.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/27/luis-suarez-id-like-to-talk-to-bayern-munich-over-summer-transfer-3518489/

Edited by sharecropper

This from Metro, about your only world class player, who may be off to Bayern this summer. And good luck to him. He actually does deserve better.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/27/luis-suarez-id-like-to-talk-to-bayern-munich-over-summer-transfer-3518489/

Doomed if this happens.

:(

Edited by jambco984

old quotes rehashed, scraping a story out of who his agent happens to be. not to mention that metro doesn't even qualify as a newspaper. do try harder mate.

Their only world class player is one more than Everton have.

Yet Everton sit 3 points clear and look good to finish above Liverpool by season endwhistling.gif

baines is getting there. might need to move to a big club to fulfill his undoubted potential though.

Yet Everton sit 3 points clear and look good to finish above Liverpool by season endwhistling.gif

City - Tottenham - Arsenal - Liverpool - Chelsea in their run in, won 2 in their last 8 league matches....yer arse JD

• Like 2

City - Tottenham - Arsenal - Liverpool - Chelsea in their run in, won 2 in their last 8 league matches....yer arse JD

I agree they only "look good" to finish above Liverpool because they're 3 points ahead.

But only time will tell. I couldn't say either way.