Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Guti's been injured. Not sure if he'll be fit. Babel does seem the only option without Riera and Yossi, right? Just our luck this season that just when one player is playing his best, he gets injured. Happened to Gerrard, as well.

think we've no choice but to play babel, though i'd rather not. the only realistic alternative is to start dossena at left-back and play aurelio higher up on the left. and given how well aurelio policed robben in the first leg i'd rather he didn't move.

I can think of Michael Owen and Steve McMananam.

Also, Fernando Morientes?

yep, that's 3. there are 4 more though.

I can think of Michael Owen and Steve McMananam.

Also, Fernando Morientes and Anelka, although I cheated halfway on both of them. Happened to see by chance that they played for Madrid, and of course knew they played for Liverpool.

Just thought of Alvaro Arbeloa, and didn't cheat on that one. He only had a couple of appearances for them, I believe.

yep, arbeloa began his career there. two to go, one a big liverpool hero, the other pretty easy to forget.

Jerzy Dudek. He a hero or forgettable to you? He seems forgettable in some ways, but nobody can forget his saves that helped win the Champions League final. He was a huge hero that night.

I think the forgettable one he is refering to is Antonio Nunez, who went from Liverpool to Celtic. Am I right Stevie?

Edited by mrtoad

yep, dudek. and will always be a hero for istanbul if nothing else. that night he made the greatest save i've ever seen in football.

the other one had something to do with the owen transfer if you need a hint.

Jerzy Dudek. He a hero or forgettable to you? He seems forgettable in some ways, but nobody can forget his saves that helped win the Champions League final. He was a huge hero that night.

I think the forgettable one he is refering to is Antonio Nunez, who went from Liverpool to Celtic. Am I right Stevie?

ker-ching. not nearly as bad a player as many people made him out to be as it goes. and was that rare thing, a footballer with a law degree.

ker-ching. not nearly as bad a player as many people made him out to be as it goes. and was that rare thing, a footballer with a law degree.

I did mean to say Celta, but ended up putting Celtic . Oh well, yeah he didn't look too bad a player, although he was a little unlucky with injuries if I remember correctly.

Looking forward to tonight's game and Saturday of course.

Wondering what do the other LFC fans think... Make or break season time for us?

Gerrard may be closer to his match fitness,which is crucial for our next two games...

Fingers crossed :o

yeah it's shit or bust now really dev. european cup is now our best chance of a trophy this season and if we can get and keep everyone fit then we've a real chance of it.

i'm concerned about tonight though. i don't like us being favourites against anyone, we're far better, particularly in europe, when our backs are against the wall and the expectation level is down. torres isn't starting tonight.

yeah it's shit or bust now really dev. european cup is now our best chance of a trophy this season and if we can get and keep everyone fit then we've a real chance of it.

i'm concerned about tonight though. i don't like us being favourites against anyone, we're far better, particularly in europe, when our backs are against the wall and the expectation level is down. torres isn't starting tonight.

Suffice to say you will be aiming for a 0-0 draw tonight, 4-5-1?

Exactly mate... anyway I have enjoyed this season so far and lets see what happens.

That would be great...

i'll take that right now thanks. and we always play 4-5-1.

we don't need to score as much as madrid do by default, so we'll sit back first hald and invite them onto us and look to hit them on the counter attack. they aren't the quickest so babel and ngog might get a bit of joy. if it's 0-0 at half-time then they'll have to come out even more second half leaving more gaps for us.

Exactly mate... anyway I have enjoyed this season so far and lets see what happens.

i have and haven't enjoyed it. torres' injury and the off the pitch nonsense have both pissed me off, and i can't help thinking of it as a slight might-have-been season.

too bad I don't stay up to watch LP games (or at anytime unless they play us), but should Real score first, will make for an interesting if nervy end to the game :o , same could be said if Inter happen to score against us tomorrow.

yeah, i can't see inter scoring against your defence though. if they do i think it'll have to come from a set-piece.

you should try and stay up to watch a liverpool european match sometime james, there's no crowd noise like it anywhere.

I think Liverpool will be going for a 1-0. Yes, it's better to be underestimated than overestimated in these matches. We'll see...

I'll be interested to see the lineup we have. I really think Aurelio could come in to the midfield now.

Edited by Jimjim

yeah, i can't see inter scoring against your defence though. if they do i think it'll have to come from a set-piece.

you should try and stay up to watch a liverpool european match sometime james, there's no crowd noise like it anywhere.

On an earlier game this year, I did happen to catch the boo-ing as the team came off the field at half time 0-0 with somebody :o

On an earlier game this year, I did happen to catch the boo-ing as the team came off the field at half time 0-0 with somebody :o

nah you didn't. unless you meant fulltime against fulham at home.

too bad I don't stay up to watch LP games (or at anytime unless they play us), but should Real score first, will make for an interesting if nervy end to the game :D , same could be said if Inter happen to score against us tomorrow.

Now your comments make sense... As a football fan I watch as many matches as possible and obviously would only comment on teams if I have seen them play :o

too bad I don't stay up to watch LP games (or at anytime unless they play us), but should Real score first, will make for an interesting if nervy end to the game :D , same could be said if Inter happen to score against us tomorrow.

Now your comments make sense... As a football fan I watch as many matches as possible and obviously would only comment on teams if I have seen them play :o

:D rumbled.

with all the 0-0 and 1-1 draws you have had this year, can you really blame me? :D

david pleat calls it right.

Benítez lays trap for Real by treating Anfield as home away from home

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/...hampions-league

Liverpool will let Real come at them and pounce on any loss of possession by the Spaniards

Rafael Benítez has a clear picture when approaching Premier League games, using his rotational policy, and another when it comes to dealing with major Champions League matches. Clearly, although Liverpool fans crave a period of domestic domination by wresting control from Manchester United, their Spanish leader sees European success as the key to major accolades.

Away from home, whether it be in Istanbul or Barcelona, Benítez sets out his stall precisely and is unfazed, whomever the opposition. He knows that in an away game, no matter how much opponents might dominate the ball and attack, chances will fall to his team over the 90 minutes. He preaches patience and conveys clear instructions, almost to the extent of pleading with his side not to become restless if the opposition are monopolising the ball. An opportunity will eventually come.

Given the balance of this tie, Real Madrid can expect Benítez to adopt those European away tactics at Anfield this evening. Benítez, like Gérard Houllier before him on Merseyside, is a naturally cautious manager who rarely plays expansive football with wide players dashing down the flanks. His is a solid block, relying upon discipline and his players demonstrating a real understanding of the system he wants to adopt. It is a tactic that has worked wonders in the Champions League.

It is a simple system. He wants his team to defend and implement a solid, organised shape quickly, almost inviting the opposition to attack. It demands an unambitious, rugged back four; two deep-lying midfielders charged largely with destructive, defensive duties; and speed and precision on the counter-attack. Simplistic that may be, but it needs huge discipline to succeed. The slightest lapse by any unit and opponents can swarm through, yet this group has bought into the gameplan.

His is a back four that doesn't lose its shape or position, one which includes full-backs programmed to sit at home and not go careering forward in support. If you cut out the space either side of your centre-backs, there is no freedom down the sides – no channels – for opposition attackers to run into and create opportunities. Furthermore, when the full-backs stay in position, the centre-backs are always more comfortable about receiving reliable cover if they do make a mistake. It is a matter of making sure the distance between any two defenders at any time is only a few yards at most.

Just as vital in what is effectively a 4-2-3-1 are the solid midfield sitters, Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano. Neither will ever develop a nosebleed playing higher in the opposition half. Rarely prepared to roam into forward areas, they work in front of the centre-backs, tackling, anticipating and giving the ball quickly to the team's more dangerous, creative part. They are the foundations upon which attacks are built.

Players from Spain, Brazil and Argentina understand the more patient game Benítez likes to play. They have been brought up in the less frenetic atmosphere as junior players and at early professional level back home, where the accent is on technique rather than blood and thunder. Aurelio, Arbeloa, Alonso, Mascherano, Riera and even the goalkeeper, Reina, are therefore effective in European games as they have the mentality to accept sitting patiently and waiting to pounce.

Above all, they know that, in Torres, Benayoun and Gerrard, particularly, a goal can be conjured in a trice. There was a time when possession was nine-tenths of the law, particularly in midfield. These days, however, counter-attacking is recognised as a team's major weapon. It is the speed that you transfer a ball – when possession switches between the sides – that is key. Fast players have flourished in the modern game, seizing every opportunity to spring forward when the opposition concedes possession, hoping their opponents have over-committed and you can quickly get a man over.

Liverpool have become experts at this tactic. Gerrard, with his wonderful range of long and short but always accurate passes, can liberate Torres and the Spanish striker takes a high percentage of his chances. Kuyt, Riera and Benayoun, likewise, all know when and where to break. It is quite probable that if one studies the statistics, Arsenal and Manchester United, and also maybe Chelsea, dominate possession in European games far more than Liverpool, but this has not always translated into goals scored. Liverpool, with less possession, rely on the counter and it suits their plan, their players and their wily European fox, Benítez.

I work in PR and couldn't have written a better press release myself. I wonder how much advertorial space costs these days in a major UK paper? :o

you work in PR james? that's funny, so do i. how come you don't know anything about the media then? what are you, an intern? :D

I work in PR and couldn't have written a better press release myself. I wonder how much advertorial space costs these days in a major UK paper? :o

you work in PR james? that's funny, so do i. how come you don't know anything about the media then? what are you, an intern? :D

funny man, must admit know jack about UK media, but ask me about the Thai media - guru I am :D

:D rumbled.

Correct me if i'm wrong but haven't you stated on this forum Stevie that you don't watch England games any more? Doesn't seem to have stopped you commenting on the team though. :D

Correct me if i'm wrong but haven't you stated on this forum Stevie that you don't watch England games any more? Doesn't seem to have stopped you commenting on the team though. :o

you're correct, but i think there's a world of difference between a man utd fan passing comment on deadly rivals liverpool and reds fans taking him to task on it and me making talk about the ridiculous pretentious circus and PR exercise that is the england national team.