Bangkok Administration Defends Purchase Of Trash Bins

webfact

BANGKOK METROPOLITAN ADMINISTRATION
BMA defends purchase of trash bins
Tanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Thursday insisted the 35,000 rubbish bins it has purchased for Bt70 million were "good value for money" because each Bangkok resident disposed of approximately 1.2 kilograms of refuse per day.

Each day as much as 9,700 tonnes of household rubbish, 1.4 tonnes of hazardous waste and 24 tonnes of medical waste from hospitals accumulated in Bangkok, said BMA Environment Office chief Banjong Sukdee.

He said the public needed to be made aware that only small items of garbage were to be disposed in the new 85-litre, white plastic bins, which have been placed along footpaths on primary and secondary roads.

These receptacles are different from the 240-litre rubbish bins in three colours (green for household garbage, yellow for recyclable garbage and orange for hazardous waste), which are too big to be placed on footpaths, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-25

Around 4 weeks ago about 60 (I didn't count) of these bins were placed out along the road that runs parrallel with the Thomburi railway line from Charen Santiwong Rd to Tailing chang Station. The next day there was most probaly 50...now there is maybe 10 that are serviceable. There are a lot of brown frames...but no bins!

green for household garbage, yellow for recyclable garbage and orange for hazardous waste

Bombs in the transparent bins only.

Everything else in the general area around the bins.

Edited by Payboy
  • Like 2

2,000 baht for a 85l bin?

You can buy a 100l bin from BigC for 360 Baht. Buy in bulk, at a rate of 35,000 and I bet you could get them for 300 Baht or less.

That would be a grand total of 10.5 M Baht and not 70M

Nice graft! Incredible graft!!

Well done to the BMA, for giving such a great example of democracy. You let the side down - BADLY!!

-mel.

• Like 2

You can buy a 100l bin from BigC for 360 Baht. Buy in bulk, at a rate of 35,000 and I bet you could get them for 300 Baht or less.

Well done to the BMA, for giving such a great example of democracy. You let the side down - BADLY!!

-mel.

And that price would include the frame etc.

I'm pretty sure they are NOT just kitchen bins. Any one have pictures??

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

-mel.

And that price would include the frame etc.

I'm pretty sure they are NOT just kitchen bins. Any one have pictures??

A 55 gallon drum second hand is 480 baht.

They forgot to put the BMA logo and some encouraging instructions on it. So they are easily up for grab.

I saw a lot of them on the Barommaratchachonnanee Rd between Putthamonton Sai 3 and 4 but their number also seems to have diminished in the last few days. I will have another look to confirm that.

• Like 1

There are quite a few of these bins on my soi. They are pretty well made, so I think 2000 baht per piece isn't so bad. Especially considering the government was involved. This is one of the few things I have seen the government do to make every day life here better in Bangkok.

-mel.

Did you think it would be any other way? Yellow, Red, Green, Blue... they're all the same.

They employed the same pricing model that was used for the tablet purchases.

By the way.. how are those working out? Are the students any smarter?

There are quite a few of these bins on my soi. They are pretty well made, so I think 2000 baht per piece isn't so bad. Especially considering the government was involved. This is one of the few things I have seen the government do to make every day life here better in Bangkok.

I hope this is in jest. 2000 baht for a plastic container?

I don't know if they have them, but I distincly remember yellow bins being hung onto light poles and electricity poles as a kid back home. That may be 30 years ago, but basically, they could hang a reasonable sized bin on every light pole in Bangkok, and the price shouldn't be more than 500 baht installed.

Another odd article from The Nation...

BMA defends..... against whom or what?

There's nothing in their article that mention any critcism of the bins or any facts suggesting a reason for criticism.

FWIW, I've seen a lot of the bins the past couple weeks along Sukhumvit, and they appear to be mostly staying in place.

As for costs, I have no idea what they ought to go for. But they're not quite the same as the basic Tesco or Big C bin. These ones have almost clear plastic panels all around, presumably to aid in spotting things like explosives.

The odd thing is, they have some small wording in Thai in black characters. But no logo or other clear sign of who they belong to or where they come from.

One thing I'd agree about, though: Whatever the price, these bins are definitely a needed addition for the city. Just hope they're maintained in place and services as time passes. And not just bought and forgot.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I sense a profound dislike of garbage bins in a few posters here. Personally I like the idea, ochre colour for the outside bin with cute 'windows' to see the transparent inner bin and a transparent lid. I've got one outside along the road. Mostly full with lots of garbage bags around it :-)

To be sure my apartment block has one of those large bins and (most) glass/plastic bottles are separated. I'm afraid I might have started that three years ago when I moved to this place.

agree. There are plenty in pinklao also, they are well used and the top/lid is hinged which enables the recyclers to collect the plastic botles and cans vey easily

Considering all the totally useless and worthless things the government spends its money on, including projects that never actually get completed, buying and deploying these bins certainly ranks somewhere up on the list of the at least halfway decent things they rarely do.

• Like 1

agree. There are plenty in pinklao also, they are well used and the top/lid is hinged which enables the recyclers to collect the plastic botles and cans vey easily

Well, I would hope so for that price, because, it's amazing, how hard it can be to empty a bin. At 0.90 GBP per hour every little helps.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Considering all the totally useless and worthless things the government spends its money on, including projects that never actually get completed, buying and deploying these bins certainly ranks somewhere up on the list of the at least halfway decent things they rarely do.

Don't forget it is NOT the government doing this it is the BMA.. so as others have said expect a press release from the DSI shortly.

• Like 1

It's about time & I now see them along Sukhumvit. Less revenue for the fag butt police. smile.png

IMO B2,000 per bin is not that much overpriced if at all.

Credit where credit is due.

Kind of agree IF they do in fact stay where they are put which is unlikely ... Opps ther's one... I can take it and sell it for 1,000 Baht .. Home free for today .. No need to cook and sell those rubbish pork or fish balls today .. wai.gif

In Thonburi we have new clear plastic bins with a lid and flap on top. Not suitable for putting bags of rubbish ,only small hand held items.

They wont last. Within a month they'll be gone.

A newly concreted road in Bangkae has dozens of impressive looking iron grates or 'man covers over' the storm drains that sit flush with the road surface.

A Thai friend smiled and said...."they wont last, they will be pulled up and sold for scrap."

This is Bangkok. If its not riveted or welded down ... it goes.

• Like 1