Thailand Well Suited For Operating Headquarters

webfact

How satisfied are you with performance of your secretary?

I know my answer would be " she comes to work sometimes and if i am lucky, i might even get a message of a call but no details of who called, why and when" I can delegate some work to her, as long as it does not interfere with Facebook activities on that day.

I've no problems with mine, comes every day and doesn't miss a single massage. :rolleyes:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know my answer would be " she comes to work sometimes and if i am lucky, i might even get a message of a call but no details of who called, why and when" I can delegate some work to her, as long as it does not interfere with Facebook activities on that day.

I think you need a new secretary.

you think it gets better? i use to think same way, hence now i do my work, her work and then another, checking and fixing what she has done.biggrin.png

You fix what she has done? so you spell check her facebook updates?

whistling.gif Why doesn't someone do a survey of the foriegn employees of those so called International companies operating in

the folllowing cities:

1. Singapore

2. Kuala Lumpur

3. Hong Kong

4. Jakarta

5. Bangkok

and then publish the results of employee satisfaction with living in those cities.

And while they are at it, also add those employees actual opinion of the effeciency, productivity, and general work ethic of the local employees they work with or supervise in those same cities.

I suspect that Thailand will be low on or at the bottom of the preference list of both those surveys.

Especially on the efficency, productibity, and general work ethic listing.

Oh i think foreign employee would be very satisfied with their life, their work life would be more interesting to learn.

For example, things like

Totally agree. I think that many foreigners (particularly men) working in places like Thailand may find the work ethic and productivity here to be rather low, and many may complain of all manner of issues, but the fact remains that a guy can literally spin around with his finger pointed in any direction and simply go 10 - 30 minutes in the same direction and find the type of intimacy and companionship that he wouldn't be able to easily find (or certainly not for so little money) back home.

I think sometimes people underestimate the power of easy Thai companionship on a man's happiness.

For less than a nice steak dinner in our old countries we can have a night which will force us to forget all the ills of the country, even if temporarily.

And, to be fair, it's not the same in Malaysia, or even Indo where the scene is much more tense and underground (given Islam) and in SG the price goes back up to Western levels (aside from the PRC ladies and small group of imports in Geylang) and the local SG lasses are indeed not very available.

So, Thailand has a huge advantage in this regard -- for the happiness maintenance of western expats.

So 4 paragraphs of bullxxxx condensed into 1 sentence......................You came here to get laid!!

Edited by metisdead

Hey Thai at heart - Tesco operates a complicated nominee system. Foreigners cannot own retainers.

Do you really think that the rules quoted to prospective gogo bar owners really apply to Multi Nationals who (with BOI approval) will employ thousands of Thai staff? At one time "Big C" was owned by a French company - Tops is part owned by a Dutch Company, Makro is part owned by a Dutch company, Tesco Lotus is owned by ....... you really believe that all these companies are owned by unlawful nominee systems, right under the nose of the Government, its labour department, its immigration department?

Oh and buy the way they need to raise money on the stock exchange

"do you have a work permit?"

"No"

"Why not?"

"I don't need one"

"Why?"

"My Thai granny, the girl friends dad, and a Thai gogo bar owner are the real owners - well they're nominee share holders"

"That's fine, you can now be admitted to the SET"

Edited by BrianCR

Hey Thai at heart - Tesco operates a complicated nominee system. Foreigners cannot own retainers.

Do you really think that the rules quoted to prospective gogo bar owners really apply to Multi Nationals who (with BOI approval) will employ thousands of Thai staff? At one time "Big C" was owned by a French company - Tops is part owned by a Dutch Company, Makro is part owned by a Dutch company, Tesco Lotus is owned by ....... you really believe that all these companies are owned by unlawful nominee systems, right under the nose of the Government, its labour department, its immigration department?

Oh and buy the way they need to raise money on the stock exchange

"do you have a work permit?"

"No"

"Why not?"

"I don't need one"

"Why?"

"My Thai granny, the girl friends dad, and a Thai gogo bar owner are the real owners - well they're nominee share holders"

"That's fine, you can now be admitted to the SET"

Tesco Thailand isn't boi, it is a Thai subsidiary with 51% Thai shareholders and 49% Tesco. The share structure is such that the vast majority of dividends are paid to Tesco who also have majority voting rights due to this structure.

Retailing is a protected industry here and retailers cannot be 100% foreign owned. I don't know why you are having a go at new about it, just look up the FBA.

The ones i am talking about are not travel agents and do not even register as a company in Thailand. As i said, the set up is some what complicated but no registration, no Vat, nothing.

I had to sue Booking.com and lawyers were digging for weeks, but found company was not registered in Thai and operated as an administrative office/agent

Does booking.com has offices in Thailand? If so where ?

Agoda has physical offices in Thailand

Bangkok for both. But only office, not registered Thai company

So which entity pays the bills?

You can't just have "an office". There has to be a company doing something? Or do the salaries of these employees just arrive from thin air?

What you describe would be completely illegal. in fact a book company would be prevented from doing business IN Thailand.

The hotel bookings are paid from Singapore, in regards to internal bills i do not know how it is set up.

Having an administrative office/agent is not illegal and i do not know how it is set up, but it is set up some how, only going by what lawyers have told me.

Try to find registered Thai company's for asiarooms, booking.com, expedia, orbitz all other international firms

As i mentioned when i had to sue booking.com lawyers started to dig and found there is no one to sue in Thailand, that it was only an admin agent or something like that.

They suppose to provide admin support only and not generate any money( think thats the loophole) and no money ever changes hands in Thailand, all payments are received in Singapore and paid out from Singapore.

I also believed it was illegal, but lawyers said it is not, and if something is, it's hard to prove or something like that

The company's 2012 survey showed that office space in Bangkok remained much cheaper than that in regional contenders such as China, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, or Vietnam.

That should be a hint...

that should attract more scam boiler room phone centers

I'm not having a go at anything I'm just saying that your first posting was wrong - "Tesco operates a complicated nominee system. Foreigners cannot own retainers.(retailers)" Then in your second posting you stated - "Actually the Tesco annual report states they have 86% of profit and managerial rights, but 39% of the paper shares." The 86% of profit and managerial rights can be negotiated with any groups of shareholders in any company you don't use or need nominees

And secondly if 39% of the paper shares belong to Tesco UK then they OWN 39% of a retail Company here in Thailand something that you said in your first post foreigners cannot do. Just to clarify that - if I get a Thai partner to open a shop with me owning 39% and he owning 61% they will not register the company/business because of what you said in your first posting - that is correct BUT, if you invest a substantial amount equal to the 39% and the deal is approved by the BOI it is possible to own a retail Company here in Thailand - have a good night

Thailand's apparent strengths in its position as a strategically located business hub

Hubbaguitar.gif Hubbaguitar.gif

Good one Payboy. Been waiting long to use it or was it spur of the moment?

Very witty.

I'm not having a go at anything I'm just saying that your first posting was wrong - "Tesco operates a complicated nominee system. Foreigners cannot own retainers.(retailers)" Then in your second posting you stated - "Actually the Tesco annual report states they have 86% of profit and managerial rights, but 39% of the paper shares." The 86% of profit and managerial rights can be negotiated with any groups of shareholders in any company you don't use or need nominees

And secondly if 39% of the paper shares belong to Tesco UK then they OWN 39% of a retail Company here in Thailand something that you said in your first post foreigners cannot do. Just to clarify that - if I get a Thai partner to open a shop with me owning 39% and he owning 61% they will not register the company/business because of what you said in your first posting - that is correct BUT, if you invest a substantial amount equal to the 39% and the deal is approved by the BOI it is possible to own a retail Company here in Thailand - have a good night

Boi doesn't grant licences for retailers, it would be a Thai company, and unless you had a preference share structure, you wouldn't control it. Simple.

Tesco has been accused many times that by having such a structure they are effectively operating under a nominee structure. It is just that they are so big, no one dares to take it further.

Tesco Thailand is 39% foreign owned. Foreigners cannot own 100% of retailers in Thailand. Simple.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I think you need a new secretary.

Ya' think?

The ones i am talking about are not travel agents and do not even register as a company in Thailand. As i said, the set up is some what complicated but no registration, no Vat, nothing.

I had to sue Booking.com and lawyers were digging for weeks, but found company was not registered in Thai and operated as an administrative office/agent

Does booking.com has offices in Thailand? If so where ?

Agoda has physical offices in Thailand

Bangkok for both. But only office, not registered Thai company

So which entity pays the bills?

You can't just have "an office". There has to be a company doing something? Or do the salaries of these employees just arrive from thin air?

What you describe would be completely illegal. in fact a book company would be prevented from doing business IN Thailand.

The hotel bookings are paid from Singapore, in regards to internal bills i do not know how it is set up.

Having an administrative office/agent is not illegal and i do not know how it is set up, but it is set up some how, only going by what lawyers have told me.

Try to find registered Thai company's for asiarooms, booking.com, expedia, orbitz all other international firms

As i mentioned when i had to sue booking.com lawyers started to dig and found there is no one to sue in Thailand, that it was only an admin agent or something like that.

They suppose to provide admin support only and not generate any money( think thats the loophole) and no money ever changes hands in Thailand, all payments are received in Singapore and paid out from Singapore.

I also believed it was illegal, but lawyers said it is not, and if something is, it's hard to prove or something like that

That is precisely what a regional boi representative company is. Admin. Who owns it? Probably agoda.

Agoda has been owned by Priceline for 5 or more years

Booking.com is owned by Priceline

Asia room is not

Expedia is different company

So is Orbitz

How do you own any company with only 39% of the shares ?

Thailand's apparent strengths in its position as a strategically located business hub

Hubba Hubba

Very witty.

Membership to the fan club is closed. Try again next year. ;)

Hubba Hubba

Very witty.

Membership to the fan club is closed. Try again next year. wink.png

Dam*!

• Like 1

Thailand's biggest advantage is that foreign companies are not required to have Thai shareholders and that they can transfer existing non-Thai employees to Thailand without going through the hassle applying for work permits, no 90 days reporting to immigration, exit/reentry visas, et al.

Also import/export without paying customs duty is easy for small companies. That you can easily hire staff that can communicate with customer in English makes it just perfect.

• Like 1