The Chinese A̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ Are Here!

WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see what all the negativity directed at the Chinese visitors is about. I rent small motorbikes to them pretty much daily and to a man/woman, they are courteous and smiling and are the kind of trade that helps a small business through the low season. OK, they ride/drive like crap but at least they are happy doing it! wink.png

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey
  • Like 2

I love this OP, Winnie; it's exactly right.

The October "Golden Week" is coming up. In the entire year, this is *the* time for Chinese to travel abroad. Chinese New Year is a long holiday, but most of it is spent in country, with family.

I think CM is in for a big onslaught of Chinese visitors this October. If businesses want to cash in, do some research and be prepared.

Hire someone who writes Chinese, get a Weibo account and get some followers. Join Chinese online forums, get Facebook friends, introduce yourselves on Chinese travel sites.

For the rest, drive carefully 'cause it's gonna be a real bitch on the roads.

Good luck one and all.

T

• Like 1

Young Chinese toursits are here because they watch the movie 'Lost in Thailand' or something like that. Otherwise they would've headed to Japan

Yep. Talked to a Thai ajarn friend at the university and that is his take on it also. He also said that they steal everything as souvenirs even toothpicks and some places are charging for 'missing' items. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Just curious why my post was deleted?

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy. Members should not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension

tongue.png

Too bad they aborted millions of female fetuses, now the dudes outnumber the babes by millions. Expect them to tap some of the abundance here soon. And what is with the glasses? Seems like 80% wear glasses.

Most of the Thai females I have heard comment on the subject, don't find the men attractive. They prefer Thai men.

Just curious why my post was deleted?

>21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy. Members should not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension

tongue.png

Some people feel they are special.

Too bad they aborted millions of female fetuses, now the dudes outnumber the babes by millions. Expect them to tap some of the abundance here soon. And what is with the glasses? Seems like 80% wear glasses.

Opticians on every corner in most places in China. Genetic problem,very few of our many Chinese friends do not have some sort of eye problem. Those that don't wear glasses very likely are wearing contacts.

It says somewhere!

Reporting in the journal Lancet, the authors note that up to 90% of young adults in major East Asian countries, including China, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore and South Korea, are nearsighted.!

best thing you can ever do for yourself for those too lazy to learn thai after all these years is to pick up Mandarin.

If they have not bothered to learn Thai the same people are highly unlikely to even consider learning any other language at all as they will have felt there was no need.

• Like 1

Young Chinese toursits are here because they watch the movie 'Lost in Thailand' or something like that. Otherwise they would've headed to Japan

Yep. Talked to a Thai ajarn friend at the university and that is his take on it also. He also said that they steal everything as souvenirs even toothpicks and some places are charging for 'missing' items. biggrin.png

Stealing toothpicks? OMG, what next?

In Hong Kong the Japanese package tourists used to steal the pictures off the hotel room walls, the TV sets, and anything smaller.

I welcome the Chinese, always well-behaved( apart from this unfortunate yen for toothpicks), and a reminder of my 19 happy years with a Chinese partner.

The latest influx of Chinese make westerners like me look great by comparison

Let's see

Don't cut in lines or crowd people

Don't see how many people can be jammed in the elevator

Tipping and overall generosity

Drive in a straight line

Don't spit on the sidewalk.... I have noticed a lot more street and sidewalk loogies but maybe just my imagination

I even score points by translating Chinglish to Thai for street vendors.

• Like 1

They start taking the moment they board the plane. Blankets, fork, spoon and even life jacket !!

Yep. Talked to a Thai ajarn friend at the university and that is his take on it also. He also said that they steal everything as souvenirs even toothpicks and some places are charging for 'missing' items.

They start taking the moment they board the plane. Blankets, fork, spoon and even life jacket !!

...and yet most countries and businesses are wanting to attract more of these thieves. Is it because the percentage of pilferage is really exaggerated or is it because there is really money to be made from Chinese tourists?

actually don't bother to answer. I suspect those intent on focusing purely on anecdotal negatives of a few Chinese and extrapolating to apply to all 1 billion Chinese, are not very analytical anyway.

The bit about Lost in Thailand increasing tourist from China has been reported since the success the movie was noted. Not rocket science.

Edited by doggie888888
  • Like 1

Stealing toothpicks? OMG, what next?

In Hong Kong the Japanese package tourists used to steal the pictures off the hotel room walls, the TV sets, and anything smaller.

I welcome the Chinese, always well-behaved( apart from this unfortunate yen for toothpicks), and a reminder of my 19 happy years with a Chinese partner.

I don't mind the Chinese tourists so much (when I have had interactions with them), but one of my Thai friends who owns/operates a guesthouse (at the very low end of the price scale) has nothing nice to say at all about the Chinese tourists she encounters on a daily basis... invariably if I ask how her day has been I will get a tale of a rude/ignorant/troublesome Chinese tourist. And its not just a case of them now making up more of her business, as when her place is full of westerners she definitely has far fewer problems.

My goal isnt to agitate by going against the general positive tone of the thread, but the influx of Chinese tourists/travelers is definitely not all roses like some seem to think.

has nothing nice to say at all about the Chinese tourists she encounters on a daily basis

Most local Chiang Mai folks complain about Chinese tourists just because farangs and the Japaneses tip more that's all.

Edited by ARISTIDE

has nothing nice to say at all about the Chinese tourists she encounters on a daily basis

Most local Chiang Mai folks complain about Chinese tourists just because farangs and the Japaneses tip more that's all.

Well it was always rare to tips at 100baht a night guesthouse so that's not the source of it I don't think :)

From what she says they are just being plain rude to her and her staff.... skipping out on bills, trying to sneak back in to keep sleeping after checking out, checking out late, doing filthy things in rooms and bathrooms, getting angry with her that they don't have breakfast included (even when their advertisements are very clear in mandarin that you are just paying for a bed)... and the list goes on.

She would definitely have much less trouble with the kind of Chinese tourist that would be staying at a 4-5 star hotel and shopping for brand names at airport plaza... but that is only one portion of this emerging market. Many on here and around town have a very 'nose up' opinion of western backpackers (not me personally though).... the low end of the Chinese market is just as bad and in some respects worse.

In that case, I feel sorry for her. Sounded like some Indian tourists! Hope her business is doing well.

Well it was always rare to tips at 100baht a night guesthouse so that's not the source of it I don't think smile.png

From what she says they are just being plain rude to her and her staff.... skipping out on bills, trying to sneak back in to keep sleeping after checking out, checking out late, doing filthy things in rooms and bathrooms, getting angry with her that they don't have breakfast included (even when their advertisements are very clear in mandarin that you are just paying for a bed)... and the list goes on.

She would definitely have much less trouble with the kind of Chinese tourist that would be staying at a 4-5 star hotel and shopping for brand names at airport plaza... but that is only one portion of this emerging market. Many on here and around town have a very 'nose up' opinion of western backpackers (not me personally though).... the low end of the Chinese market is just as bad and in some respects worse.

A couple of people I know who do business with Chinese tourists divide the budget Chinese into two classes:

The young Chinese, who are generally polite, pleasant and frugal.

The older Chinese, who are impolite, unpleasant, and go way beyond frugal. The older Chinese haggle over every price, ask for or assume as many free services as possible (asking to borrow the guesthouse office computer to do some internet surfing and arguing when told no), wash clothes in the room and hang them out all over the garden to dry, commandeer garden chairs to use in their rooms, and, and I'm puzzled by this, dismantle the assembly in the toilet tanks. On this last point, only a few do this, and they don't steal toilet parts, they just partially disassmble the toilet. They also cause more than average breakage in the rooms, which they never report.

It's safe to assume that while all local businesses wish the Chinese, and everyone else, would spend more, it's those who conform to the old Chinese description that cause the most heartburn.

• Like 1