Poll: Are You Considering Learning The Some Of The Russian Language?

Jingthing

Opportunity Knocks: Pattaya Russian Speaking Hub  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't see any reason why I should learn the language of other foreigners in Thailand... they will not learn Swiss German either... so for me, the only language to learn is Thai, as that is the language of the country of my choice.

You speak English. So is Pattaya in England?

Again, I am not suggesting people SHOULD learn Russian or that there is very strong reason for most of us to learn Russian. But Russian is a major language here and that is a fact.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any reason why I should learn the language of other foreigners in Thailand... they will not learn Swiss German either... so for me, the only language to learn is Thai, as that is the language of the country of my choice.

You speak English. So is Pattaya in England?

Again, I am not suggesting people SHOULD learn Russian or that there is very strong reason for most of us to learn Russian. But Russian is a major language here and that is a fact.

I disagree. Russian is not a major language in Thailand, not even in Pattaya. Yes, there are loads of Russians now coming to Thailand, but for me, this is irrelevant, as I will neither have business dealings with them nor am I thinking about learning a foreign language to interact with foreigners in a foreign country.

That is why I say: Thai is the major language, second is English where my Thai is not enough, but Russian is irrelevant for me.

• Like 2

Fair enough. Living in Jomtien, Russian isn't completely irrelevant to me. If I could snap my fingers and know Russian, I would snap my fingers. I would find it useful or at least amusing to communicate with many of the RUSSIAN speaking people around me, most of whom do not seem to speak much English at all. But is it worth a lot of effort for that? For me, no. But for those that it is, again, this is a place where there is a chance to practice it everyday.

I consider Pattaya an INTERNATIONAL city now. The Thais are certainly not the ONLY people of interest here, or the ONLY people that might be worth talking to. Sorry if that offends some.

People moving to Pattaya moved to a special and different kind of place. Many would say especially BAD. It is not the everyday Thai Thai Thailand. It is what it is. If I hated it, I'd leave. But part of what it is more than what it what was is: RUSSIAN.

Edited by Jingthing

My language learning priorities in order:-

1. English - After 63 years still have not mastered it (I'm 4th Generation Australian)

2. Thai to conversation level - been at it for 12 years: Sai - Toong - Qar at the taxi drivers is about it!

3. Isaan/Lao - So I know when the missus is talking about me.

-

-

347- French

348 - Russian

I find it amusing and quite a bit insulting to the Thais that many foreigner who live here do not make an effort to communicate in Thai, or fair enough, English.

I see many Germans and Scandinavians who make by by speaking their language and gesture, the Thais replying in Thais, some of the older guys even reduce their communication to their wives/girlfriends to a series of grunts. Many scene in Pattaya is like Star Wars where each characters speak their own language and seemingly able to understand each other.

• Like 1

I find it amusing and quite a bit insulting to the Thais that many foreigner who live here do not make an effort to communicate in Thai, or fair enough, English.

Right, and your comment relates to the topic of learning Russian how exactly?

I've nothing against Russians, I speak Thai and have learnt Russian, cause I need it for my Business. I reckon my level of Russian is about the same as average Pattaya Thai's grasp of English.

There's no expectation that short-term tourists should learn the local language,

If you want to communicate or do business with them, then of course, learn the language, Russian or whatever

But if any foreigner are staying long-term they should be able to survive on their own, that is able to communicate with shop assistance, taxis, so the burden should be on them to learn the local language.

So for most people who already speak English should need to learn Russian to enjoy Pattaya, is it unfair that in many of our home countries the language is English?

I think the Russians need to learn some english. You would think they would pick up a bit.

They don't have to. That's one reason so many come here and I expect their tourism domination to increase more in the future.

I have come across young Russians who know English but refuse to speak it. They seem to be offended that Thais have taken the trouble to learn some English, but will not bother to learn some Russian as well. (Of course this is political - they feel their country is as important as the USA or whatever, and that Thais should notice that!) I was in a 7-Eleven once and there was a young Russian woman who insisted on speaking in Russian to the staff (who were laughing at her). When I asked her if she hadn't learned any English in school, she answered me in fluent English - but she said she thought the Thais should learn Russian, just the way they learned English!

Russian is not easy to learn - the grammar is extremely difficult (among major Indo-European languages, only Sanskrit is more difficult!). I tried to learn it some 12 years ago, because I wanted to understand the final duet in Tchaikovsky's "Evgheni Onegin"... However, if you only want to get by in Russian restaurants, I think it would be enough to learn the alphabet, and that's not very complicated... Russian is easy to read, unlike English or French.

However, I'm not sure the food will be worth the trouble... It could be more rewarding to read Pushkin!!!

I think the Russians need to learn some english. You would think they would pick up a bit.

They don't have to. That's one reason so many come here and I expect their tourism domination to increase more in the future.

I have come across young Russians who know English but refuse to speak it. They seem to be offended that Thais have taken the trouble to learn some English, but will not bother to learn some Russian as well. (Of course this is political - they feel their country is as important as the USA or whatever, and that Thais should notice that!) I was in a 7-Eleven once and there was a young Russian woman who insisted on speaking in Russian to the staff (who were laughing at her). When I asked her if she hadn't learned any English in school, she answered me in fluent English - but she said she thought the Thais should learn Russian, just the way they learned English!

Russian is not easy to learn - the grammar is extremely difficult (among major Indo-European languages, only Sanskrit is more difficult!). I tried to learn it some 12 years ago, because I wanted to understand the final duet in Tchaikovsky's "Evgheni Onegin"... However, if you only want to get by in Russian restaurants, I think it would be enough to learn the alphabet, and that's not very complicated... Russian is easy to read, unlike English or French.

However, I'm not sure the food will be worth the trouble... It could be more rewarding to read Pushkin!!!

As a Russian speaker, i do not think you have a clue of what you just posted-really

You want to read Pushkin, without understanding what you read? Do you really believe Onegin was written in simple Russian? They spend terms on learning the literature and have a subject just for that, just to understand what is written

You find Russian easy to read? How about understanding what you read?

Why should Thai's learn Russian? Are Russians the majority of tourists? majority of customers? What use other then selling them crap Thai's have with knowing Russian?

Whats next, The whole world should learn Russian just in case Russians decide to visit?

As i said, i speak Russian fluently, and its a useless language. The only time i have used it is to service Russians and in return received nothing but rudeness and headaches.

Now i do not tell them or show them i can speak Russian, so they need to figure out how to express themselves.

Young Russians who speak English but choose not to, are simply idiots and the one who told you Thai's should learn some Russian is even bigger idiot, because those who speak good English have well paid jobs and good life in Russia, but majority come from small villages in Russia, and are no different to Thai's from remote Isaan villages.

The ones who come from Moscow or large city are pleasant, educated people who speak good English and certainly not shy to speak it.

• Like 2

During high season in Pattaya, YES, the Russian speakers ARE the majority of tourists in town. I agree Russian is a hard language to learn with very limited benefit internationally, compared to languages like English, French, Spanish, and yes Mandarin.

My comment was addressed to Jingthing, who mentioned something about a restaurant where everything was in Russian: if you are only interested in the food, learning the alphabet and a very limited vocabulary will probably be enough.

Perhaps I should mention that I have learned enough Russian to understand "Evgheny Onegin"... but then, I'm a linguist. I do agree though that knowing Russian will not get you into very interesting conversations with Russian speakers... I live in an area with lots of Russian speakers and most of them will not talk to me (even in Russian), simply because they are not exactly friendly... The problem with Russians is not the language, it's the mentality. So sadly enough, this topic/poll is really uselesssad.png .

• Like 1

All you people that have learnt or can learn another language is fantastic.

I have tried to learn other languages but for the life of me I just cannot get my head around it. I guess I'm just useless at it and resigned to just stick with English.

Though after a few ales my English is more jibberish.

If I had the ability to learn languages I would do so, it would be great to sit and listen to what people are saying about you without them knowing you can understand.

Hmm perhaps more effort on my part is needed. smile.png

Why learn Russian in Thailand?? Learn Thai thats what the Russians should be doing too, Learn thai.. Unless some of the local thai people want to learn some Russian but its better for them to learn english!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For me, it would be relearning. I took Russian in high school back during the late '60s.

David

Maybe if your an American you might want to put that Russian to good use, I have some wigs and understand there is a vacancy at the American Embassy in Moscow smile.png

Lomoncake wrote

" But why should this poll be about Russkie? In case you didn't know, this forum is about Pattaya, Thailand. There shouldn't be a poll about Russkie and the Russian tourists should learn Thai.

A few months ago I had a great chat with a Russian in Thai, while waiting at Chonburi Immigration. Under no reason it should it have been in Russian! We're not in Russia. It would be a different story of course, if I we were in Russia. Then and only then, should I learn Russian! "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you a moderator able to dictate Thaivisa policy on what is posted on the forum ? No, then what right have you to say what should or shouldn't be posted here ?

Yes the Forum is about Pattaya (my your astute) and there are a lot of Russians here (in case you had not noticed) so perhaps that's why the OP uploaded a poll.

Why should 2 week tourists learn Thai ? if the Thais want to benefit from Russian money then they should learn Russian. Thai is useless language outside of Thailand so not a lot of incentive for people to learn unless living here. Do you forget that the customer is always king in a business that wishes to succeed ?

For me, it would be relearning. I took Russian in high school back during the late '60s.

David

Maybe if your an American you might want to put that Russian to good use, I have some wigs and understand there is a vacancy at the American Embassy in Moscow smile.png

I have a nice mustache. Maybe they would just mistake me for an old Russian babushka (grandmother). biggrin.png

David

• Like 1

I have read a whole shitload of racist rants over russians, that i dont agree with,

i like seeing younger people and the occasional woman,

but on one thing i think i will agree on the rants,

the illiterate russians at tonys gym cant read numbers even,

they invariably displace the dumbbells, and should be banned from the gym on 2nd offense

• Like 1

Can somebody please explain to me, why the Russians who speak the best English, seem to invariably come from Siberia. It's quite a mystery ---- roughly 8 in 10 English speakers from Russia seem to be from Siberia --- very very strange ?????

Oh and breviet to our Russian friends

Can somebody please explain to me, why the Russians who speak the best English, seem to invariably come from Siberia. It's quite a mystery ---- roughly 8 in 10 English speakers from Russia seem to be from Siberia --- very very strange ?????

Oh and breviet to our Russian friends

breviet? What is it?

I'm just looking at this poll and see that almost half of the respondents "strongly don't want to learn any Russian, ever". Says a lot about the TV crowd.

I already imagine the responses to this question: If you were fluent in Thai and at least five other languages AND had infinite resources and time, would you learn Russian? ... Never? crying.gif

I'm just looking at this poll and see that almost half of the respondents "strongly don't want to learn any Russian, ever". Says a lot about the TV crowd.

I already imagine the responses to this question: If you were fluent in Thai and at least five other languages AND had infinite resources and time, would you learn Russian? ... Never? crying.gif

Well, you've got to make choices in life but I agree the STRONGLY descriptor is a little over the top.