gennisis

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes

No, it wasnt a chain, it was Bob's in pattaya, it is perhaps 7 years since he closed,

i cant even remember where it was located but i think it was on soi buakaow where champagne a gogo now is

Oh that place. Yuck.

Yes, ketchup drenched ribs,

i think the ribs at the thai resturant on 3rd rd opposite where tony had his gym near kangaroo bar is nice tho

Yes

No, it wasnt a chain, it was Bob's in pattaya, it is perhaps 7 years since he closed,

i cant even remember where it was located but i think it was on soi buakaow where champagne a gogo now is

Oh that place. Yuck.

Yes, ketchup drenched ribs,

i think the ribs at the thai resturant on 3rd rd opposite where tony had his gym near kangaroo bar is nice tho

Sounds like they were using ketchup as a poor mans BBQ sauce.

People put ketchup on pizza here. That would gag most Americans.

• Like 1

The Bob's Big Boy chain was in Pattaya and Bangkok for a while, but it quickly failed in Thailand.

Edited by Ulysses G.

After watching the steak show I hope you watched the Dental show from England. It was so sad watching people with no teeth and mouths that look like Gangrene set in. I was waiting for the maggots to crawl out. I cannot understand how grown adults cant brush their teeth and visit a dentist. Maybe it is a biblical thing " An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" rant overwai2.gifbiggrin.png .

Ah but at least as Brits we can have dentures fitted, you'll wake up tomorrow still an American................

Well, my american friends took me to Bobs to impress me on american food,

everything was drenched in ketchup, nuff said

I'm assuming you mean Bob's Big Boy? It's a low end chain of restaurants. Hardly a place to take somebody to impress them.

Bob's Big Boy (we called it Shoney's) impressed me when I was about 10 years old. They were the first ones to do the double layer cheesebugers and they always gave you a free comic book starring the Big Boy.

m.jpg

That was quite a successful early restaurant franchise. I knew their Bob's, Azar's and JB's Big Boy franchises. Similar to Denny's, a typical coffee shop fast/casual restaurant. I would never think of them for steaks, but you're right the double layer burgers were good, and that mascot, everybody loved - really a piece of Americana.

After watching the steak show I hope you watched the Dental show from England. It was so sad watching people with no teeth and mouths that look like Gangrene set in. I was waiting for the maggots to crawl out. I cannot understand how grown adults cant brush their teeth and visit a dentist. Maybe it is a biblical thing " An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" rant overwai2.gifbiggrin.png .

Ah but at least as Brits we can have dentures fitted, you'll wake up tomorrow still an American................

If you guys are done pounding your chests and waving your flags, can we return to talking about food now?

I'm assuming you mean Bob's Big Boy? It's a low end chain of restaurants. Hardly a place to take somebody to impress them.

Bob's Big Boy (we called it Shoney's) impressed me when I was about 10 years old. They were the first ones to do the double layer cheesebugers and they always gave you a free comic book starring the Big Boy.

m.jpg

How big is Bob's Big Boy? Eye-wateringly big? Or just a minor shuffle?

Best value steak in Thailand is The Shack in Koh Samui.

Top quality...same as you will find in the best places of Bangkok, but for around 1000 Baht.

Sorry to go OT, but had a really nice steak at Cafe des Amis last week. One of the best I've had in Thailand. I'd almost given up trying to find one!!

• Like 1

Ketchup is always served on the side (in a bowl or the whole bottle).

A server putting ketchup on your food, without asking, is worse than putting ice in your beer without permission!

Not an issue. That isn't done.

As a kid was in a high end restaurant with family and friends. One family friend, a lady from Louisiana had this really nice filet mignon cut, and asked the waiter for some ketchup. The chef actually came out of the kitchen and disallowed her from pouring ketchup on her filet. Pretty good dustup ensued, quite remarkable from a 7 year old's view.

• Like 1

As a kid was in a high end restaurant with family and friends. One family friend, a lady from Louisiana had this really nice filet mignon cut, and asked the waiter for some ketchup. The chef actually came out of the kitchen and disallowed her from pouring ketchup on her filet. Pretty good dustup ensued, quite remarkable from a 7 year old's view.

• Like 1

Best value steak in Thailand is The Shack in Koh Samui.

Top quality...same as you will find in the best places of Bangkok, but for around 1000 Baht.

Sorry to go OT, but had a really nice steak at Cafe des Amis last week. One of the best I've had in Thailand. I'd almost given up trying to find one!!

Will give it a go next time I'm in Patters. Thanks for the tip!

Check-In Garden, Suk, near Nana BTS station, around B500...... Ssssshhhhh.

I'm never hungry when I visit....must plan my evening better next time! smile.png

Thereisnoif, on 04 May 2013 - 21:35, said:

Just had Kobe Beef tenderloin at the JW Marriott's Teppanyaki restaurant and it was just superb .

I am sorry Yanks, but Japanese beef ( Kobe,Matsuzaka,Hitachi) is the best in the world .

They are good, but I don't have to mortgage my house to buy an American steak. And I have never had a Kobe steak that filled me up, just too small.

Just out of curiosity, what did that cost?

Edited by impulse

Just had Kobe Beef tenderloin at the JW Marriott's Teppanyaki restaurant and it was just superb .

I am sorry Yanks, but Japanese beef ( Kobe,Matsuzaka,Hitachi) is the best in the world .

Perhaps, but it is also the most expensive in the world and IMO, not worth the price. The cheaper ones are not the real thing. They are imitation Kobe beef from Australia and the U.S.

A good steak in USA probably costs less than 20 dollars.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Perhaps, but it is also the most expensive in the world and IMO, not worth the price. The cheaper ones are not the real thing. They are imitation Kobe beef from Australia and the U.S.

A good steak in USA probably costs less than 20 dollars.

Wow, in that case, change ,my comment above from "I have never had a Kobe steak that filled me up" to "I have apparently never had a real Kobe steak". Because I can promise I have never eaten such an expensive steak, even when it was on a vendor's dime.

They are good, but I don't have to mortgage my house to buy an American steak. And I have never had a Kobe steak that filled me up, just too small.

6000 THB for 200 grams .

Kobe steak is not really steak.

It is like eating fairy floss, it melts in your mouth.

Steak is meat, not jello and you should have to chew it to release its flavour and texture.

There is a fine line between to tough and just perfect, but Jello steak is just not for real men.

A cowboy would spit Jello steak out and then go rip the rear end off of a bullock out the back.

6000 THB for 200 grams .

So about $1 per gram, or $454 per pound.

Yikes. Too rich for my cheapass blood.

Edited by impulse

Be what you say about the steaks in America, I like to get my teeth on a sirloin for $1.99 to $2.49 when we shopped at Dominick, Jewel, or elsewhere then. That's when we lived there. Now? I trade to live elsewhere to forfeit what I liked then! I'm getting used to it and don't pay 49 cents on the dollar like before!

Edited by muchogra