Thai Logic Has Got Me Again.........sigh!

Rsquared

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and the mrs bought a bed in SB furniture and when asked to draw a map, she drew what could be considered the most primitive map ever with very little details on.

I told her they would never understand and just put down her number to call as it would be easier. Be fair, the boys who delivered the bed found the house and didn't need to call once.

Maybe it's easier to not over complicate things and you will be surprised.

• Like 1

I find it amusing that they even asked you to draw a map...very, very few Thais could complete that task. Thais are for the most part useless with maps...it's just not a concept they can get their heads around. A friend of mine wrote a whole PhD dissertation (which he later published as a book) on how the very concept of maps had to be introduced to Thais by foreigners (and it still hasn't caught on/sunk in)...and he's Thai, haha! Though he was educated overseas (which is ALWAYS the key to Thais thinking critically/seeing the big picture!).

I find it amusing that they even asked you to draw a map...very, very few Thais could complete that task. Thais are for the most part useless with maps...it's just not a concept they can get their heads around. A friend of mine wrote a whole PhD dissertation (which he later published as a book) on how the very concept of maps had to be introduced to Thais by foreigners (and it still hasn't caught on/sunk in)...and he's Thai, haha! Though he was educated overseas (which is ALWAYS the key to Thais thinking critically/seeing the big picture!).

Its an Immigration requirement for a visa extension based on being married to a Thai national

• Like 2

You are all probably correct and with their uncanny way of finding things out, they will find us without the map, even though it is still required.

To my simple mind, I thought I made it as simple as it could get......obviously not.

Ah well.....

You are all probably correct and with their uncanny way of finding things out, they will find us without the map, even though it is still required.

To my simple mind, I thought I made it as simple as it could get......obviously not.

Ah well.....

I have to agree with your wife RXsq.. It's indeed to confusing, this gate.. It's logical.

I didnt realise this but SBK has got a good point indeed!

Chees

sbk, on 30 Apr 2013 - 23:09, said:

They aren't looking for landmarks to your place, they are looking to see if you know the way. Don't bother with those kinds of landmarks and just draw the streets.

Makes sense, immigration weren't interested in finding our place (nice Google map printout with GPS location etc.) they wanted me to hand draw a map, so I did a very simple outline with just road numbers (which I got from my printed map) and they seemed happy.

Never got a visit, they either couldn't find us from my poor map or spoke to neighbours or something else unfathomable.

Buy a Map, draw in the minor roads, X marks the house, photocopy said page give out at will. Yes I have had this problem before.

Edit sorry just read post above wouldn't of helped anyway.

Edited by Scully
  • Like 1

@ David48.....if I went that fast on our road, the truck/car would end up in a hundred pieces.

Your GF's road is a freeway compared to ours. Once overheard the wife describe to someone where we lived, she said on the soi of a thousand pot-holes.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Ah well.....

Another alternative would be to put up a discreet sign - a yellow ribbon, or a small neon arrow, a distinctive bush, a marble arch, a sleeping brown dog...

SC

Its an Immigration requirement for a visa extension based on being married to a Thai national

Draw a map to immigration, see if they can read/recognize it cheesy.gif

I did my map myself the first time i needed one and wife looked at it and said ....no. let me do it, they won't understand yours. She then proceeded to draw her version and then took about 20 photocopies. We have been using them ever since for directions, visa etc and nobody gets lost so i bow to her obvious talents as a map drawer of some eminence ! Don't you understand yet that Thai people are so much cleverer than us? They don't need us because we are smart, just to finance every operation.

Being one who like to cover every detail.. For my visa app a few years ago on Phuket I took a nice clear screen grab of google maps.. Added a nice bright red arrow.. Made a high quality JPEG map and printed it for the file.. Presented it and 'no.. must be hand drawn'...

The year after doing the same in Chiang Mai.. I had a hand made one and a printed detailed google maps one.. Picked up the printed one.. "ohh very good"..

Lets see what this year brings.

i must have same logic as your wife as its confused the hell of me as well. Just tell them as your post states "lots of bush", they will find it if they have to.biggrin.png

You could just write 'Here be dragons". Or better still, 'ghosts'!

Edited by bigbamboo