If You Were Michel Platini How Would You Change European Football

sumrit

If you really want start to change 'football' a good way would be finding a fairer way of redistributing footballs wealth, the big clubs and its fans wont like it, but ALL away teams to get somewhere near half the gate money. And seedings defo suck, get rid.

That's just a fraction of the money involved, and UEFA take something like 5,000 seats per game for various sponsors and officials.

Here's where the real money is:

>>The UEFA Champions League is the bank. Last year, TV networks and sponsors deposited $1.4 billion into the Union of European Football Association's checking account for a piece of the action. The lucky teams in the competition were cut in for 80 percent. Clubs from Europe's most popular leagues earned the largest slices, in the tens of millions.

yeah and i'm not saying that a better divi up wouldn't go amiss, but a week in week out divi up of gate money would really really help ALL smaller clubs immediately, And the other thing non financial could be the scraping of the away goal rule. thewy did it for the league play off's and seemed to add something to the games, could be me imagining that tho, bearing in mind they are pretty tense anyway.

Edited by rijit

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it amazing how we have been decrying the value of the Europa Cup, but look at it now. For Rafa Benitez it's an enormous prize. He's conducted himself with dignity in the face of the taunts of Chelsea "fans" and done the job that he was paid to do and I really want him to win that trophy tonight, not for Chelsea, but for him! Fairytale stuff! Come on Rafa!

Bit off topic (I think) but I'll stick it here so it can be knocked down.

I'm not sure who is responsible, but I'd like to see the 10 yards away from a free kick rule changed. The powers to be reckon a player should be 10 yards away when the kick is taken. We all know that decreases to 9 or less. Therefore, make the ruling 12 yards and then it's almost guarantees that players will be at least 10 yards away when the kick is taken. unsure.png

Is this UEFA or FA

Edited by uptheos

Isn't it amazing how we have been decrying the value of the Europa Cup, but look at it now. For Rafa Benitez it's an enormous prize. He's conducted himself with dignity in the face of the taunts of Chelsea "fans" and done the job that he was paid to do and I really want him to win that trophy tonight, not for Chelsea, but for him! Fairytale stuff! Come on Rafa!

Yes I must admit, Rafa comes across as a thoroughly decent guy, which is why I was surprised he took the Chelsea job.

But I think the way he has conducted himself has been exemplary. He would deserve it

Yes I must admit, Rafa comes across as a thoroughly decent guy, which is why I was surprised he took the Chelsea job.

But I think the way he has conducted himself has been exemplary. He would deserve it

No comment cheesy.gif

I was thinking of the wall. If the size was reduced to say a maximum of 3 players and the attacking team was not allowed to interfere with the wall, the striker would have a better chance of being on target. A foul on the edge of the box may only be a foot or 2 away from being a penalty but the chances of scoring are not comparable.

I was thinking of the wall. If the size was reduced to say a maximum of 3 players and the attacking team was not allowed to interfere with the wall, the striker would have a better chance of being on target. A foul on the edge of the box may only be a foot or 2 away from being a penalty but the chances of scoring are not comparable.

Interesting point. How often has a player looked like he might score only to be chopped a foot outside the box, right in the centre of goal? With defenders often only 8-9 yards away it's more often than not they don't score, it's difficult to get the ball over and dip from so close and if they do a little one touch some big sod is sliding in before the shot is taken.. There should be a fairer way in these cases......not sure what it is? Three man wall sounds a possibility. Referees being instructed to be harsh on defenders that don't comply? I dunno.

Septic Bladder has declared that a Cold War has broken out between the FA and FIFA (over the Moscow and Qatar games).

Must be the first sensible thing that the FA has done in years!

If i were Michel Platini i would make a life changing decision to sort out my barnet, stop dressing like a tramp, resign and give the job to someone who knows what they are doing

As a player, I think he was one of the best, certainly top 5-10 of all time...... now he's just a pillock,

• Like 1

Interesting point. How often has a player looked like he might score only to be chopped a foot outside the box, right in the centre of goal? With defenders often only 8-9 yards away it's more often than not they don't score, it's difficult to get the ball over and dip from so close and if they do a little one touch some big sod is sliding in before the shot is taken.. There should be a fairer way in these cases......not sure what it is? Three man wall sounds a possibility. Referees being instructed to be harsh on defenders that don't comply? I dunno.

Refs should police the 10 yards more diligently ordering retakes if players move and the free kick has not resulted in a goal (that has stopped defenders racing too soon into the box on penalties).

Allowing the placement of the ball further back in a straight line from the point of infringement, like rugby (defence can still be up to 10 yards away). If the game went metric and moved to 10 metres instead of 9.15 that might be a good thing too.

It's impossible to police the 10 yard rule, to try and do so would almost certainly result in multiple yellow cards and sending offs which nobody wants. There's always a lot going on in the box during set pieces and the ref has to let most of it go or spoil the match. Penalties are cut and dried, an uninterrupted shot at goal and I reckon that professional fouls outside the box should be punished in similar fashion. Maybe the answer is to award a penalty free kick with everybody behind the ball.

Probably one of the greatest midfield's of all time but how i would love to have a Jean Tigana or Fernandez at United now they where the foundations that let Platini show his skills.add Giresse

As others say Platini is now Blatter in the making.

Edited by MrRed

Looks like Platini reads TV.

Europa League winners could earn Champions League place

Uefa will announce on Friday whether the Europa League winners will be rewarded with a Champions League qualifying spot from 2016.

The move would be designed to boost interest in Europe's secondary club tournament.

The decision followed months of discussions between the European Club Association (ECA) and Uefa officials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22640095

He makes some fair points though about the relative balance of money at UEFA's disposal to influence things. I also have some sympathy of the difficulty of getting agreement when there are so many vested interests around.<br /><br />If everyone really wants European Leagues where the balance of power shifts within a matter of a year or two rather than a decade or two then there is already a model around in the form of the American National Football League (gridiron). Anyone think all the powerful clubs are going to accept restrictions on transfer fees and wages?

He makes some fair points though about the relative balance of money at UEFA's disposal to influence things. I also have some sympathy of the difficulty of getting agreement when there are so many vested interests around.<br /><br />If everyone really wants European Leagues where the balance of power shifts within a matter of a year or two rather than a decade or two then there is already a model around in the form of the American National Football League (gridiron). Anyone think all the powerful clubs are going to accept restrictions on transfer fees and wages?

Fair point about the NFL Santi, but to have a more clear picture, the regs in the NFL are designed to keep player salaries down. As a byproduct the league is more competitive. The NFL runs the most cost effective operation of all the major professional sports in the states. Also the most brutal. Average length of a players career in the NFL is 3.3 years if you go by the player's union stats. Six years by the NFL's reckoning. Either way, not lengthy, and the long term health effects well documented.

Fair point about the NFL Santi, but to have a more clear picture, the regs in the NFL are designed to keep player salaries down. As a byproduct the league is more competitive. The NFL runs the most cost effective operation of all the major professional sports in the states. Also the most brutal. Average length of a players career in the NFL is 3.3 years if you go by the player's union stats. Six years by the NFL's reckoning. Either way, not lengthy, and the long term health effects well documented.

Its just British Bulldog with shoulder pads!

Its just British Bulldog with shoulder pads!

With speakers in some of the helmets ! blink.png