Former B B C Broadcaster Stuart Hall Admits 14 Counts Of Indecent Assault Against Children

webfact

BREAKING NEWS: Former BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall admits 14 counts of indecent assault against children as young as 9

By ROB COOPER

Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall has admitted indecently assaulting 13 girls, the youngest aged nine.

Hall, 83, entered the guilty pleas last month at Preston Crown Court but they can only be revealed today after reporting restrictions were lifted.

The sex offences took place between 1967 and 1986.

Despite previous vociferous public denials of any wrongdoing, Hall calmly and repeatedly answered 'guilty' when the charges were put to him at the hearing on April 16.

Sat in front of the dock with his legal representatives, he confirmed his full name of James Stuart Hall to the clerk in the plea hearing.

He then stood up as he uttered the single damning word which has now ruined his reputation.

The Recorder of Preston, Judge Anthony Russell QC, told him he would be required to sign the Sex Offenders Register. He was told a notice which he needed to fill in would be sent to his home in Cheshire within days.

A brief outline of the abuse suffered by three of his victims, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was outlined at an earlier hearing at Preston Magistrates' Court.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2318172/BREAKING-NEWS-Former-BBC-broadcaster-Stuart-Hall-admits-14-counts-indecent-assault-children-young-9.html

-- Daily Mail 2013-05-02

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how an employer can police their employees. It is simply not the position of the employer to judge people, that is the responsibility of the courts. If I was suspected of an offence then I would expect my employer to judge me as innocent until proven guilty. The only time it should affect employment is once the crime has been confirmed and sentencing has been past. Then it is up to the employer to act.

Having read the list of assaults I think that the court would have a hard time giving jail time for most of them. Sexual offenders list, community service, tagging, but not a jail sentence. Then I noticed the rape. This one could tip the balance. Question is what kind of evidence is there now to go on and how sure can the jury be in this situation.

However, the damage is done and everything he has worked for in his life is now shattered. His legacy no longer exists and his country no longer loves him. Whatever the sentencing he is destroyed.

• Like 2

Just noticed this on the BBC website.

A further three charges of indecent assault and one of rape have been left to lie on the court file.

Looks like the deal might have already been done.

again the BBC ???????????????? maybe they should change the name to Vatican 2 .

Not just the BBC. Ken Roche is charged with rape.

Lets not forget, Kevin Webster from the same show, also under invetsigation.

Another from the same show, good old Len Fairclough.

Who is next?

• Like 1

Top BBC presenter Hall pleads guilty to indecently assaulting 13 girls

LONDON: -- Veteran BBC television presenter Stuart Hall on Thursday pleaded guilty to indecently assaulting 13 girls aged between 9 and 17.

The 83-year-old admitted in April to the 14 charges, which relate to events between 1967 and 1985. However, that admission could only be reported Thursday, after restrictions were lifted.

Hall has been a well-known face on British television for the past 50 years, presenting shows such as It’s a Knockout and becoming an established sports reporter.

He was arrested in December and initially denied the historic allegations, calling them "pernicious," "callous" and "spurious." The presenter denied three further charges of indecent assault and one of rape. These charges will not be pursued for the time being.

The rape victim, who would have to give evidence at trial if she pursued the charge, had agreed with the decision, prosecution spokesman Nasir Afzal. Prosecutors had decided it was not in the public interest to proceed with the charge and force her to give evidence, he said.

Hall’s prosecution showed, however, that "victims of abuse will not be denied justice by the passage of time," Afzal said.

The broadcaster is to be sentenced in June.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-02

again the BBC ???????????????? maybe they should change the name to Vatican 2 .

Not just the BBC. Ken Roche is charged with rape.

Lets not forget, Kevin Webster from the same show, also under invetsigation.

Another from the same show, good old Len Fairclough.

Who is next?

Rolf Harris

I don't see how an employer can police their employees. It is simply not the position of the employer to judge people, that is the responsibility of the courts. If I was suspected of an offence then I would expect my employer to judge me as innocent until proven guilty. The only time it should affect employment is once the crime has been confirmed and sentencing has been past. Then it is up to the employer to act.

Having read the list of assaults I think that the court would have a hard time giving jail time for most of them. Sexual offenders list, community service, tagging, but not a jail sentence. Then I noticed the rape. This one could tip the balance. Question is what kind of evidence is there now to go on and how sure can the jury be in this situation.

However, the damage is done and everything he has worked for in his life is now shattered. His legacy no longer exists and his country no longer loves him. Whatever the sentencing he is destroyed.

the green room!!!!!!!!

If your company allows you as much alcohol as you like in a private room before the show!

The employer has no responsibility for his Guests behaviour?

Just recall the state they allowed Oliver Reed to get into before a show.

The BBC are pimps to say the least!!!

BTW Oliver died this day in 1999 - how time flies - RIP great man.

That was the Michael Aspel Show; on ITV, not the BBC. Though it was not the only occasion Reed appeared drunk on a chat show, the others were all on TV in the US or on Channel 4 in the UK.

Indeed, the producers of The Word put bottles of booze in his dressing room so they could secretly film him getting drunk!

Reeds biographer also suggests that in many cases Reed was not drunk, but pretending to be so at the behest of the show's producers in order to liven up the proceedings!

See your point, though; but any presenter or reporter, which is what Hall was, who got drunk before the show would not last long.

The police comments quoted in the BBC report also show that Hall did not necessarily meet his victims via his BBC work.

"Whether in public or private, Hall would first approach under friendly pretences and then bide his time until the victim was isolated.

Although, obviously, his fame gave him opportunities for his predation not open to others.

Never really cared for It's a Knockout (Juex Sans Frontiers), but loved his gloriously surreal football reports on the radio.

But that he entertained millions is no excuse for his crimes; indeed, that he used his fame to further his sordid activities only makes it worse.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

That was the Michael Aspel Show; on ITV, not the BBC. Though it was not the only occasion Reed appeared drunk on a chat show, the others were all on TV in the US or on Channel 4 in the UK.

Indeed, the producers of The Word put bottles of booze in his dressing room so they could secretly film him getting drunk!

Reeds biographer also suggests that in many cases Reed was not drunk, but pretending to be so at the behest of the show's producers in order to liven up the proceedings!

See your point, though; but any presenter or reporter, which is what Hall was, who got drunk before the show would not last long.

The police comments quoted in the BBC report also show that Hall did not necessarily meet his victims via his BBC work.

>"Whether in public or private, Hall would first approach under friendly pretences and then bide his time until the victim was isolated.

Although, obviously, his fame gave him opportunities for his predation not open to others.

Never really cared for It's a Knockout (Juex Sans Frontiers), but loved his gloriously surreal football reports on the radio.

But that he entertained millions is no excuse for his crimes; indeed, that he used his fame to further his sordid activities only makes it worse.

Thank you for the correction, my point is still that if an employer puts too much temptation in your way, they have some responsibility.

And, yes, they are all at it all the media do it. Anything for sensation.

In the mid 60's I had a finance who worked for the Beeb, we were regulars in TVC, in the bar chattin to stars - Z-Cars stars was current in those days.

I learned a little something about Green Rooms.....

I still cannot accept the statement that the employer has no responsibility.

I worked in Fleet Street for about 16 years, I know what goes on and it is shameful.

Damn a girl I used to work with met SH at a charity cricket match. She put a pic on FB. She also appeared on one of Bob Monkhouse's shows. Bob's Full House.

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1

Damn a girl I used to work with met SH at a charity cricket match. She put a pic on FB. She also appeared on one of Bob Monkhouse's shows.

Well, didja?

There will be a zillion guys from the sixties who will be sweating now if they have money. The sixties was a great time for boys and girls. I was there. smile.png

From other posts, maybe you were the 60's LOL

There will be a zillion guys from the sixties who will be sweating now if they have money. The sixties was a great time for boys and girls. I was there. smile.png

Perhaps whistling.gif , but l was a teen with two things on my mind, one was fooling with stuff with wheels, the other you can guess. smile.png

• Like 1

Perhaps whistling.gif , but l was a teen with two things on my mind, one was fooling with stuff with wheels, the other you can guess. smile.png

Me too, messing with the Chemistry set!!

My wheels, the old 32cc Cyclemaster!! Now that was a real mean machine!!! See me hurtling along the road at a frightening 15 miles per hour. Good for like hundreds of miles to the gallon. I used to fill it once a month whether it needed it or not.

I'm afraid I was past my teens by the 60's, more or less.

Edited by laislica

It's already been established in the Jimmy Savile enquiry that BBC management deliberately turned a blind eye to his activities, even though they knew perfectly well what he was up to, in order to protect the valuable asset that he was to the corporation.

Without condoning in any way what the other BBC stars have admitted to doing, the BBC created, supported and maintained the culture which enabled these kinds of revolting activities to flourish, and the people in management at the time should be required to acknowledge their mistakes as well.

• Like 2

Read this article published in 2009. Make sure you read the comments section. This is what NOBODY will remember him for. Imagine living your life thinking people will remember you for something great only to find out, at 83, that all people are going to remember you for being an nasty person.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2009/dec/11/stuart-hall-finest-moments

Don't really agree with your comments:

" don't see how an employer can police their employees. It is simply not the position of the employer to judge people, that is the responsibility of the courts. If I was suspected of an offence then I would expect my employer to judge me as innocent until proven guilty. The only time it should affect employment is once the crime has been confirmed and sentencing has been past. Then it is up to the employer to act."

IMHO it's not that simple. If there are claims / there is suspicion that children are being 'touched' / 'violated' in some way then surely the employer has a responsibility to act in some way. What action the employer takes must surely be case by case and of course also very difficult to determine what action to take. And to make it all more complex the accused is of course entitled to proper justice.

There's also the opposite side of situations like this. If there is a situation where the accused has regular contact with children then as a parent I would expect that the employer take some action to protect children (just in case the claims are true), also to protect the person accused and also to protect the good name of the organization concerned. To get all of this balanced of course not easy.

Helping the vicar when he visited the elderly down at the senior's home?

• Like 1