Window Tinting Film On New Cars

I would appreciate some comments please re tinting film.

Just about to buy new Toyota Avanza, comes with standard tinting film but getting details of what type / quality of film used is proving allusive.

I know nothing about tinting filme, but:

- I think I should aim for good UV block - is that possible?

- I don't want dark coloured film because I like the idea that drivers should be able to see each other / communicate with each other.

Would appreciate if tinting film buffs would please share some knowledge / advice. Thanks.

(p.s. Not looking for comments about Avanza).

I would appreciate some comments please re tinting film.

Just about to buy new Toyota Avanza, comes with standard tinting film but getting details of what type / quality of film used is proving allusive.

I know nothing about tinting filme, but:

- I think I should aim for good UV block - is that possible?

- I don't want dark coloured film because I like the idea that drivers should be able to see each other / communicate with each other.

Would appreciate if tinting film buffs would please share some knowledge / advice. Thanks.

(p.s. Not looking for comments about Avanza).

Ask the garage what make of film they use. Most of the time you choose from a book which shows the tint. If not then get a film tint reference number. Personally I would go with s reflective tint. Stops the police seeing the ATM machine driving :D

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Having had several cars tinted over the years I am pretty impressed with the 3m range. That is what I have on my PJS here and the only problem is glare at night as they tinted the windscreen.

Google "Window tint & window tinting for your car or auto - 3M US" and you want the solution.3m.com etc link.

Just some advice, if the Avanza has the radio aerial printed on the glass then you need to go with a non metalized type of tint or you will have problems with radio reception.

Cheers

Edited by Litlos

40% tint for the front windscreen, 60% tint for the back and sides, is what i went with. Went on the cautious side because i was worried about visibility, especially at night, but actually i feel 60% all round would be fine having now experienced it. Just make sure it is a good brand, like Lamina or 3M, and you'll be fine. The dealer will be able to advise you.

Sorry to hijack a bit.....

I am getting my new CRV on tuesday, and have to decide what kind of film i want.

We plan to drive out of the country, and i think there are rules once you cross the border....

So i need advice, on what film to get if we decide to drive across to Malaysia, or Laos or Cambodia.

I am thinking 40% on front window and 60% on the rest, but that might not be up to specs abroad.

Any advice are very welcome.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack a bit.....

I am getting my new CRV on tuesday, and have to decide what kind of film i want.

We plan to drive out of the country, and i think there are rules once you cross the border....

So i need advice, on what film to get if we decide to drive across to Malaysia, or Laos or Cambodia.

I am thinking 40% on front window and 60% on the rest, but that might not be up to specs abroad.

Any advice are very welcome.

Thanks

I been told the Malaysia only allows 40% and if they find it too dark they will measure the darkness% on the windows, if too dark no entry.

I got 40 front and 60 on the rest, on my Ranger, seems okay but actually never tried it after dark despite over 2 month ownership.

I went with 60 all around and no vision problems , but if planning on driving cross border would recent 40 all around to avoid any problems

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by CWMcMurray

Not sure if Laos or Cambodia have any enforced law on window films, but Malaysia does and they have been strongly enforced for the last few years.

They rate on visible light coming in, so the opposite to Thailand.

Front windscreen can have tint applied only on the top 20%, and that must pass 70% of visible light (so max 30% by Thai standards).

Front side windows must pass 70% (30% Thai)

Rear + rear side windows must pass 50% (50% Thai)

Note that some OEM glass can have 5% or more tint already, so take that into account too.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Later this year we will be in the market for a truck.

My wife's son has a Vios which is tinted all round and I find vision through the windscreen difficult at night. The tint is not particularly heavy, however, I think the problem is exacerbated because I am a spectacle wearer. The tint film does introduce a degree of flair in to light sources, as do my specs. There is also a degree of distortion from the film. Just try closing one eye and moving your head sideways, there is a definite distortion from the film.

So...I have decided that when we buy our truck, I will not have any tint on the windscreen, but would like to have a graduated, sometimes called fade, tint applied to the top portion of the windscreen. I would prefer a graduated fade out strip than a sudden dark cut off.

I have looked at the manufacturers web sites, 3M, V-Cool, and Lamina, but cannot find any reference to windscreen top tints.

Does anyone have any experience or advice, please?

Normally the garage fits a relatively cheap film.

We had fitted Lamina Special Series L75 L75 040 on the front and L75051 on the sides. This film is quite light and it's easy to see into the car and see out at night! It's a classy looking film but can be quite expensive. We found the price at the local Lamina shop and then got the dealer to sort ... he saved us a fair amount of money.

Here are the details of Lamina film laminafilms.com/main.php?hm=product&op=car&type=film

This film is one that you don't have to hang your Easy Pass out of the window to make it work ... like some!

To a large extent you get what you pay for ... because the film is dark it doesn't always mean that it lets less heat into the car than a lighter film. Some really dark films let a lot of heat into the car.,

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/Automotive_Simulator/

If the dealer you go to has cars with newly installed film then see if you can sit inside some to get a better idea of what you will be buying. Always consider what it's going to be like driving in the rain at night, turning where motorcycles without lights on are approaching or when inside dimly lit parking garages. If you are over forty years of age with declining night vision then dark tint is more likely to impact your ability when driving at night.

• Like 1

Adding to others, it may sound strange but take into account your driving habits. If you drive very little after dark, then a stronger tint can be the way to go (and vice versa). I have 3M 80% side and rear, and 50% front on my PJS. No problem with the windscreen day or night - actually reduces glare in night driving - but I find that during night driving, particularly when raining, at congestive intersections (like many of the ones in Patong - does not apply so much with large intersections) I have to lower the passenger front window slightly to have safe vision. Not a problem with electric windows, of course, but just a nuisance factor. However, the added shade of 80% around is terrific for daytime driving. All things considered, for my next car, I will keep the same formula, however you may prefer 50% all around. Avoid cheap film - make sure you specify your brand. Genuine 3M film has small embossing stamps. These are non intrusive, but can be easily removed with rubbing alcohol if you should so desire.