Gadgets You May Never Use Again.

Crossy

Most people are surprised to learn that things they thought had died are actually still in production or use. Journalists love the Minidisc, for example, Sony only recently stopped making the players, the discs will still be produced for several years yet. Things get niche followings. Typewriters were still being manufactured up to last November (2012). Fax machines are still huge business in Japan. The Playstation 2 was only discontinued earlier this January.

The oldest gadget or Computer in history is the Antikythera Computer

Invented 1st Century B.C. Discovered in 1900, amongst relics of an ancient shipwreck, the mechanism contained in the device was uncovered in 2006. Though it is unclear how it worked exactly, the navigational tool was thought to be used onboard ships as an early pre-compass type tool. it is priceless but replicas also may have been made.

• Like 1

Add the original i-Phone to this list. Apple just announced last week that all support for it will soon be discontinued, including repair.

I have been unable to add any new apps to mine for the last 2 years and the existing apps have been mostly disabled by automatic updates that rendered them unusable.

I'm caving in this week and buying a new smartphone and no way will it be an Apple...screw them and their customer abandonment policies. I have Android on my tablets so no reason to not use it on my phone so Android it will be.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

Ditto. Abandoned Apple iPhone for Andriod and VERY happy.

Whenever some scumbag overcharges me and then asks for a tip, I tell 'm, "don't buy and Apple."

Add the original i-Phone to this list. Apple just announced last week that all support for it will soon be discontinued, including repair.
I have been unable to add any new apps to mine for the last 2 years and the existing apps have been mostly disabled by automatic updates that rendered them unusable.
I'm caving in this week and buying a new smartphone and no way will it be an Apple...screw them and their customer abandonment policies. I have Android on my tablets so no reason to not use it on my phone so Android it will be.

I still have 3GS....it's ancient, scratchy, the main button is dang near shot and I haven't updated it past 4.2.1 (cuz it's all about the jailbreaking, and I get hives every time I have to do it.)

I still have Words with Friends and Solitaire. I'm old school. I'm fine with it. :)

I think I score better than most...

I still have a zip drive in one of my PCs - Admittedly it's because it came built-in on the PC above the floppy drive. (and the PC is an ancient 2GHz Pentium 4 - although it does still work - last used it a couple of weeks ago, but I'd have replaced it a LONG time ago if I had to use it regularly.).

I have a minidisc player (somewhere - not used in YEARS).

Everyone old enough, not just me, used to have a mobile phone like that (with the little aerial sticking out)

I still have CRT TVs - admittedly they're generally restricted to the spare room (which has a couple of fairly large old CRTs - they still work - why throw them out - especially in Thailand where the broadcasts are still analogue).

USB sticks - still occasionally useful. The kids actually need them to hand in homework on (although that's only when it's not places like mymaths which are done online).

Standalone GPS - Have a Garmin Nuvi in the car. Admittedly, it's usually in the centre console storage area and only comes out when I'm going someplace where I expect to get lost if I don't use it. - i.e. Driving to the mother-in-law's house upcountry...

6 out of 11. (Could have been 7 - almost had a Blackberry - the company I worked for offered me one for free, but I preferred to use my own phone)

Edited by bkk_mike

I still use my ancient Nokia 5110

Why?

- it is rugged and one of the few phones with a plug for an external antenna.

- Has excellent electronics (sensitive receiver), unlike the plastic rubbish today.

- Because I have 4 matching car kits (mounted in car and truck, house and workshop)

- I can buy a box of old 5110s for $20.

Bought a "smart phone". Hated it.

Edited by jackflash

Whenever some scumbag overcharges me and then asks for a tip, I tell 'm, "don't buy and Apple."

The support from the manufacturers on the Android side of things is worse than Apple's.

i.e. My Galaxy S is only running Jelly Bean because of Cyanogen, not because of Samsung - and the Galaxy S came out just before the iPhone 4. You need to buy an Android phone with enough of a following to get 3rd parties, like Cyanogen, porting the latest versions of Android to it for the long term. (It's why I won't buy another Chinese-brand android tablet without checking if it's in Cyanogen's supported list - as the last one I bought - an Aigopad M80 - the manufacturer hasn't released ANY updates at all...)

post-42643-0-91984700-1367837891_thumb.j

not so long ago, Something good about the old phones, you would not find people talking all day on them

Myself still have a Ericsson T28 and with all the extra's you can think of, years old but still works,,

I am probably a younger generation than most although know and grew up with everything mentioned. Some I feel have run their course and have no further use, some I would love to still have as novelties.

But one I just cant cant understand being on this list... It is a regular necessity!

USB drives.

If I have to fix a computer I use usb drives for the things formally reserved for floppy disks (one to add to this list).

If I need to get large (GB) files across town I will use USB drive and jump on the motorbike...much quicker.

Phones have storage but never carry the cable and lack the support for the first point. Portable hard drives have higher capacity but not portable.

If there is another technology out there that can run dos, 20 strains of linux, carry multiple videos and big photoshop files and still fit on your keyring...please tell me and I will start calling usb drives outdated gadgets I will never use again. Until then they are still modern and evolving, especially with a self sufficient 32GB drive smaller than a thumbnail.

I'm still using my Dell Streak 5, am I hip or just an oldie?

Never heard of that! biggrin.png

I only qualified for 3 items, but really don't think they are a big deal:

1. My phone:

attachicon.gifnokia_3120.jpg

What's wrong with that? It works... dry.png

2. My TVs:

attachicon.gifsharp25wf50.jpg

What's wrong with them? They still work...

3. USB Sticks - loads of 'em. 2x4 GB, 1x8 GB & 1x16 GB and a really old 256 MB. They all work, so what's wrong with that?

biggrin.png

Sure beats the crap out of my Dell 48 MB USB, which I still use! (Don't tell anybody though).

Oh Lord, I just had a poke around my junk cupboard.

I wonder if floppies will ever make a comeback?

post-35489-0-41479900-1367857104.jpg

There's even two unopened boxes! w00t.gif

Maybe sell the un-opened boxes to a collector giggle.gif ?

I had lots, binned them a few months ago... even CD's and DVD use rarely now a day.............. USB hard drives, 1 , 2 or 3 TB so much easier.

The support from the manufacturers on the Android side of things is worse than Apple's.

i.e. My Galaxy S is only running Jelly Bean because of Cyanogen, not because of Samsung - and the Galaxy S came out just before the iPhone 4. You need to buy an Android phone with enough of a following to get 3rd parties, like Cyanogen, porting the latest versions of Android to it for the long term. (It's why I won't buy another Chinese-brand android tablet without checking if it's in Cyanogen's supported list - as the last one I bought - an Aigopad M80 - the manufacturer hasn't released ANY updates at all...)

Re: your AIGOPAD...I purchased an AIGO M802 (precursor to M80) last year for my GF. Recently it had some problems so I emailed: [email protected] and got a prompt, informative response. They have a service office in Bangkok off Phatanakhan Rd not too far from the Rhamkhamheng Airport Rail Link station. Hope this helps. Her Aigo has received regular updates.

Updated my ASUS/Google Nexus 7 on the Play Store. Don't remember exactly how but it's there. On my advice my friend did the same for her Samsung Y.

Whenever some scumbag overcharges me and then asks for a tip, I tell 'm, "don't buy and Apple."v

Maybe sell the un-opened boxes to a collector giggle.gif ?

I had lots, binned them a few months ago... even CD's and DVD use rarely now a day.............. USB hard drives, 1 , 2 or 3 TB so much easier.

Oh Lord, part 2.

CDs and DVDs? Why do I keep 'em?

I think I'll have a clean out soon and free up some storage space!:

post-35489-0-75856600-1367905198_thumb.j