Good Tortillas

I just found Danitas corn tortillas at Villa in Pattaya. I took them home and put four between moist cloth and nuked them for about 60 seconds in a microwave. They came out hard! How do you do this in a microwave? I used to do this all the time in the USA. Not sure what is going on here. Also, I tried nuking them for 30 seconds and they came out hard.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only microwaved Danitas burrito type flour tortillas... I've never tried mwing corn tortillas.

For the flour ones, obviously it depends some on the power of your microwave... but for mine, usually 15 seconds for 1 or 2 and 30 seconds for 3 does it quite well.

Corn tortillas we wet , cover and nuke them for about 15 seconds!

We never have had left over flour tortillas as my wife makes them fresh daily as we need them.

In the old country we always heated flout tortillas on the stove!

Cheers:smile.png

Sunrise Tacos makes awesome tortilla chips and I love their fresh tomato salsa but you have to go to the soi 12 location to get the real deal.

My favorite Mexican restaurant in Thailand is Mike's Mexican in Pattaya.

His chips & salsa is made fresh every single day and taste awesome!

I just wish his place was in Bangkok.

If anyone at Sunrise is reading this, you guys do a terrific job with your carnitas (pork)!

I love your pork tacos with flour tortillas!

Keep up the good work!

Corn tortillas we wet , cover and nuke them for about 15 seconds!

We never have had left over flour tortillas as my wife makes them fresh daily as we need them.

In the old country we always heated flout tortillas on the stove!

Thanks Kikoman. If possible, please be a bit more specific about the process. When you say "wet," do you mean dip them in water or sprinkle a few drops on each side? When you say "cover," cover with what? Thanks.

If I use a stove and flat pan -- apart from the time, hassle and heating my kitchen -- they come out harder and not as easy for folding.

Microwaving flour tortillas is OK, liquifying the oil seems to make them extremely rubbery and flexible. But with an induction cook-top, and a good pan it takes less than a minute for the pan to get hot, and maybe 15 seconds per side to heat. They puff up, and are light and airy; they are still 'rollable and not 'hard, but taste about 1,000 percent better. Maybe you have yet to master this technique? If heating your kitchen during cooking is a major consideration, well then... wink.png

I only cook flour tortillas this way because it's the only way I've ever seen it done. Given how easy they are to make from scratch I will try that next. Also plan top bring back some masa harina on my next trip to try corn tortillas at home from scratch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEz0puaKNTk

Edited by lomatopo

Not all of us have induction cooktops, Loma... I'll be sure to speak with my Thai landlord about that... explaining that of course it would be more than helpful for heating my tortillas. wink.png

Do you have a stove? Obviously if all you have is a microwave then that may be better than nothing, I guess.

I honestly would find it hard to believe anyone would prefer a rubbery, albeit pliable with the oil gently hydrogenized, microwaved flour tortilla vs. one which is puffy, light, airy, slightly charred?

You can buy a free-standing, single-unit induction cooking unit for a whopping 2,000 baht. It may go without saying that you could prepare all sorts of dishes with an inexpensive, proper cook-top. You can bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, for pasta, in 3 minutes, and very little heat is given off. Admittedly you'd also need some induction cookware, but this shouldn't break the bank? Bring a magnet when shopping for cookware, if it sticks to the bottom that pan will work with induction cook-tops.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mamaru+induction&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=S0u4Ua-YEIiNrgfT9YCgAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=979#tbm=isch&sa=1&q=portable+induction+cooking+unit&oq=portable+induction+cooking+unit&gs_l=img.3..0i24.221187.223081.4.223867.9.9.0.0.0.0.164.895.3j6.9.0...0.0.0..1c.1.17.img.Qe5XQ8_lgug&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47810305,d.bmk&fp=1a9e07c2280d7cef&biw=1920&bih=979

Not sure you'd need to explain anything to your landlord, just invite him over for a proper tortilla. ;)

I also want to be able to make my own corn chips, since there are no chips on the market fried in healthy traditional fats like lard.

Are you sure that lard is "healthy"? i know that a lot has changed as to how doctors look at fat, but I have never heard anything good about lard - I hope that you are right though.

I gotta wonder about lard and health as well.

Oxymoron?

I prefer to use a deep friar.

You can pick one up at Home Pro for about 1800 baht.

I use corn oil to deep fry my corn tortilla chips.

Flour tortillas I put over a live flame on the stove for about 4 - 5 seconds.

I use my deep friar for french fries, Chinese dumplings (pot stickers) and spring rolls too.

I use vegetable or canola oil for those.

I once used beef talo (lard) for homemade beef chimichangas. It was soooooooo delicious but if I ate like that all the time, I'd be dead before I hit 50.

Cleaning the deep friar after using lard took several days. That's why I did cook with it again.

• Like 1

Makro now has 'El Sabor' brand flour tortillas.

They are a large size and pretty good. They freeze well too. I did one packet then froze another. About 140thb for 6 though.

A good alternative for heating the tortilla is an electric grill (slatted or flat both works). Allow a couple of minutes to defrost then onto the grill for a few seconds either side makes them hot and perfectly manageable as well as improving the taste.

I had a chance this week to try a package of the El Charro 8-inch flour tortillas for the first time, and compare them with the Danitas flour tortillas (burrito size) that I've regularly been eating.

Both come in packages of 10. Foodland sells the El Charro flour tortillas for 77.50b per package, while the Danitas large flour tortillas go for 86b or so, depending on where purchased.

One of the things I immediately noticed is the El Charro tortillas appear to be considerably thinner than the Danitas variety, and this is born out by the El Charro package weight being a total of 320g, compared to the Danitas package weight of (from memory) about 450g.

The El Charro label says they're made from 90% wheat flour. I don't have a Danitas package in the house at the moment. But I know they offer a wheat and a regular flour tortilla variety. I've tried the wheat variety in the past, and didn't care for the taste or texture at all. So I stick with the regular white flour Danitas variety.

Basically, for my taste, I might use the El Charro flour tortillas if I was cooking a baked dish... But for homemade burritos, which is my habit for lunch, I really prefer the Danitas variety, which seem to stand up better to ground meats, salsas, juices, etc etc.

There's just an entirely different texture between the two varieties. But then again, having a choice between the two is a good thing.

Sorry for the late reply, i dip the corn tortillas in water a fast quick dip then nuke them for about 15 seconds, yours micro-wave may be of a different power, if not right for you after 15 sec, nuke a little longer.

Hope that helps!

Sorry for the late reply, i dip the corn tortillas in water a fast quick dip then nuke them for about 15 seconds, yours micro-wave may be of a different power, if not right for you after 15 sec, nuke a little longer.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. Actually I experimented about one week ago and did something similar. I dipped the tortillas (Danitas) in water (totally immersed them). Then put about four of them between two plastic, clear plates (so, one plate, tortillas, and another plate as a cover). Then I nuked them in the microwave for 15 seconds, It worked! Still, they were not as good or soft as I remember them being back in the USA, but I could eat them. I think Danitas brand might not be the best.

The corn tortillas in the states are made with a better quality of corn, a more fine stone-ground corn with a better flavor and use a lot of white corn. Thin corn tortillas for table use and thicker for cooking.

Also are very inexpensive a package of 7 dozen white corn table tortillas for as low as $1.99 (Less then 60 bah) one pays close to that for a package of 10 tortillas here in Thailand.

The local tortillas are not the best quality, that being said, I am grateful that they are available.

I will like them and use them as they are all that is available to me here in Thailand!.

For those of you that are adventurous and like to cook flour tortillas are so easy to make,

2 cups flour

2 tablespoon fat/oil

1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to your taste)

2/3 cup cold water

Mix the four and salt together add the fat (mix it well into the flour mixture)

stir in cool water and knead it as you would bread, form into small egg size balls, rubbed with oil.

Cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes.

roll out to size and cook, do not over cook as that will result in a hard tortilla.

Not only better tasting then store brought, but a lot easier on your wallet, as store brought tortillas were quoted at 77.50 and 86,baht for a package of 10 tortillas. 5-6 dollars per package, where all purpose flour cost 25-30 baht per kilo with a little fat and salt are much cheaper to make at home.

The trick to making good tortillas is work the dough well before coating it with oil and allowing it to rest, stick to the basic recipe till you get the hang of it, and then adjust the ingredients to your taste.

• Like 2

Again the subject of authentic Mexican tortillas! In Mexico corn tortillas are used throughout Mexico, flour tortillas are tortillas most used in Northern Mexico and the really large flour tortillas are made in the state of Sonora.

Sadly to say, the two brands of tortillas made in Thailand are not very good, but when I can get no other I will use them and like them. Flour tortillas are so easy to make at home, my Thai wife makes great homemade flour tortillas. You can find the recipe on the net.

Corn tortillas are another issue, all that is available in Thailand are the brands mentioned, as no "masa Harina" is sold in Thailand, you can order it online (Very Expensive shipping cost) or have some brought over by anyone who may visit you from the states.

Again on the subject of authentic Mexican food, most of the food talked about on this forum is Cal-Mex / Tex-Mex that is American food. Not Mexican food.

There is a great difference in the quality, spices, recipes, "but make and eat what is good for you".

Kikoman,

I figure you would know if anyone. What is the shelf-life of masa flour? I brought two bags of it with me last time I came over, but I also bought about a million ready-made tortillas that I froze and am still working my way through those.

I had masa Harina stored for two years in a plastic bucket, I forgot I had brought that package the last time I went home. I opened it thinking it would not be any good. I was still great tasting and I used that up in a matter of a month making small sized taco tortillas.

You could keep it a number of ways, store it in the fridge, make masa divide them into small potions and freeze them, or you could make the corn tortillas and freeze them, use as needed they should lasts as long as the other tortillas you have.

Sorry could not tell you how to store them to last a specific time. Mine would only be a guess.

Good Luck!

Edited by kikoman

I had masa Harina stored for two years in a plastic bucket, I forgot I had brought that package the last time I went home. I opened it thinking it would not be any good. I was still great tasting and I used that up in a matter of a month making small sized taco tortillas.

You could keep it a number of ways, store it in the fridge, make masa divide them into small potions and freeze them, or you could make the corn tortillas and freeze them, use as needed they should lasts as long as the other tortillas you have.

Sorry could not tell you how to store them to last a specific time. Mine would only be a guess.

Good Luck!

Thanks. You are the TV expert on Mexican food, as far as I am concerned, so thanks for your response.

Thanks kikoman for the recipe. I know its not hard but you gave me the idea to make my own---- still wishing for corn tortillas, and Salsa Verde-- I grew some tomatillos, Half the crop came out OK, the other half seem to cook in the husk. No luck growing Jalapenos

Thanks kikoman for the recipe. I know its not hard but you gave me the idea to make my own---- still wishing for corn tortillas, and Salsa Verde-- I grew some tomatillos, Half the crop came out OK, the other half seem to cook in the husk. No luck growing Jalapenos

Where did you get the tomatillo seeds from? I have about a hundred and fifty seedlings of Jalapeno, Serrano, Pasilla bajo , sweet Banana and Cayenne chile peppers. some of them are showing great growth, others seem to not be growing at all, since I am a novice gardener I am learning as I go.

Another great recipe that I only recently started making is Caldo de Queso (cheese soup) using all locally available ingredients,

3/4 -to one cup--8 large light green Thai peppers at the local market ( cut in strips or small pieces)

2 large potato's (cut small cubes)

! tomato (Cut in small pieces)

1/2 to 1 medium onion (small pieces)

3 cloves of garlic

I chicken flavored cube

2 tablespoons olive oil

1&1/2 cups of milk

Up to ! cup of cheese (any fresh cheese, cheddar, paneer (I add cream cheese for at least half a cup)

water as needed

lightly cook in the olive oil, garlic, onions potato' add the tomato and Chicken flavored cube, add the milk and the chile, let cook till the potato's are almost done, add the cheese, cook until the cheese has completely melted.

This is a soup add water to get the consistency you like in a soup.

You are free to add the degree of spiciness you like in the chile, from no burn to extra hot, I buy the chile for flavor and add Thai birds eye peppers for the heat. adjusted to your preference, eat with tortillas or saltine crackers.

Not hard to make.

Unless it says "whole wheat" , wheat flour is the same thing as white flour.

Actually, UG, that's exactly what the Danitas package says... whole wheat.

post-58284-0-93984200-1372036936_thumb.j

post-58284-0-63090800-1372036960_thumb.j

As I said above, though, having tried them, I didn't really care for the whole wheat taste or the texture in flour tortillas, where they seemed more brittle and tough than their regular flour counterparts.