Safe Deposit Box For Few Months In Bangkok ?

Ethnoserieux

Dear All,

Does somebody know where I could rent a safe for few months in Bangkok ? (at best near Asoke - Sukhumwit crossing, but anywhere will do)

There is such a place in Pattaya soi post office, but I need one in Bangkok.

What about banks ? is it easy to get a safe in a Bank ?

All tips are welcome,

Thanks in advance :)

Getting a safety deposit box at a bank might prove difficult. Whichever bank you go to you will probably be asked to open a bank account first and that will provide it's own hurdle ie; O or B visa requirement or work permit. Even then, once you open an account, it's no guarantee that they'll willingly give you a safe deposit box. I bank with siam commercial and approached the branch I use on Asoke only to be told that I would need take out a life insurance policy/slash savings plan to be able to get said safety deposit box. Admittedly it wasn't much - 100K Baht a year for 5 years but it's the bald faced trickery of the little buggers that annoyed me. The safety deposit box is around 3000 baht a year in fees and I was being asked to sign up to something I didn't need. Needless to say, I just laughed and went on my way.

• Like 1

^I had the same experience. Like everything here, it turned into a huge hassle, so I just forgot it. I remember them saying something about having to buy something or other though, I guess it could have been insurance. I was probably looking at another tellers legs when she told me is why I can't remember.... I tune out when they start saying things like "sure, you can have one if you enroll in our....."

• Like 1

Bank safety deposit box rental is a rather new service for Thai banks, therefore the supply is very limited. Most banks reserve them for VIP customers. My wife (Thai) had a very difficult time find a bank with any open deposit boxes and when she did she had to open an account with a very large sum (become a VIP more or less.) I might add that the manager is a family friend. Good luck though.

Try MBE (Mail Boxes Etc), they've got a place on Prom Phong BTS amongst other places in Bangkok.

Are they post boxes to deliver your mail or actual safe boxes? I assume if someone cracks it open then your gear is done for?

From my limited experience it would appear that there is usually a waiting list to rent a safety deposit box in a bank here. That is maybe why certain banks are able to insist on insurance and/or deposit amount in order to rent one. It seems reasonable, to me, that you have an account at that branch so they your id/address etc.

Personally we have had a box for at least the last 15 years (was originally on a wait list, but when the branch was refurbished more boxes were added). No insurance or specific deposit amounts required.

The yearly rental has,over the years, increased from 300 baht to the current 900 baht, for a 'medium' size box.