Man Dead, Homes In Ruins After Storms Hit Thailand

webfact

Man dead, homes in ruins after storms
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Many parts of Thailand are still reeling from summer storms that have damaged hundreds of homes and farmland areas and caused at least one death.

In Uttaradit's Fak Tha district, a 63-year-old man, his wife and 3-year-old grandson escaped possible death by hanging onto a house pillar while a 30-minute summer storm yesterday ravaged 57 houses in four villages of Tambon Fak Tha.

Prasong Deesomboon said the storm blew away the roof above their heads and all he, his wife and the grandson could do was to hang onto house pillars until the storm blew out and they could flee to a relative's house.

Uttaradit disaster prevention chief Surachai Thatkawin inspected the damage with other officials and found nearly 60 houses had lost their tin roofs. He said officials would buy tin sheets and roof tiles, and send soldiers to help fix the damaged homes.

Tree falls on house

In Tak's Mae Sot district, a summer storm yesterday caused a large tree to fall on to and extensively damage a house in Tambon Mae Ku. A 37-year-old female passer-by was hit and injured by the tree.

At the same time in a nearby area, a lightning strike killed Myanmar worker Miewtan Seng, 32.

In Uthai Thani's Thap Than district, a Saturday night storm damaged 20 homes in Tambon Ta Lhuk Doo, while the affected residents in Chaiyaphum province - where a storm damaged some 100 houses on Saturday evening - have called for aid to repair their homes.

Up north, authorities in Chiang Mai's Fang district yesterday despatched roof tiles to affected residents in two sub-districts where a severe summer storm on Saturday evening damaged 560 homes and hundreds of rai of farmland.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-06

sad to hear about the victims

hope they will recover soon

and condolences to the family of the deceased

had a large piece of roof blow out from my carport last year

with a single blow all was airborne

i replaced it and instead of nailing it to the wooden beams i now used heave duty screws

that is a few THb more in expenses but if the roof blows off now the whole construction will be gone

doubt that will happen

i did get 2000 Thb from the tambon to help with the disaster but all in all the damage was over 20.000

that is without labour costs, cos i did it all myself and with help from family.

The strange ways award happened with us Sunday morn, 2am, the thunder and lighting was that severe that it killed the pigeons sleeping on the roof(bloody place is over run with them)They literally fell off the perch, fell in the rain run off channel and hey flooding in the top floor room, bailing water for an hr, no power etc, clean up day Sunday, missed the morning service with thecoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif vicar.

Lay awake watching the sky light up for several hours. Barely audible thunder so it was some distance away, but it looked like the mother of all thunderstorms... Caught a little of it here, several longan trees uprooted...

Monster Storm Brings Fear

n23.jpg

A storm blew in destroying roadside vendors, buildings, and damaging property. Little casualties but fortunately no deaths have occurred.

Sriracha – May 5, 2013 [PDN]; 16:00, in Bangphra area, Chonburi, a storm has blown in the area and have frightened many tourists and merchants. While enjoying the scenery of a reservoir, tourist frightened from the storm ran for shelter. Merchants trying to pack their vendors and equipment were too late to do so. As the storm was brewing for twenty minutes before everything came back to an ease.

Chaos rose when the storm came, highway light poles were fallen along the roadside, near by-pass route 7, 2nd period, km. 58, Khao Khio Open Zoo. Many houses and merchant shops blew away from what they called a whirlwind, more than ten houses blown away in mere seconds. This made the entire people hide to survive, after the storm passed, merchants and others came out to see the aftermath. All were in shock of how much damage to their properties and shops were. Many had scattered pieces of their homes blown away, cars destroyed in shops and so much more.

An interview was held with Mr. Saman Yodbankong, 65, a shop owner, said this was the first time he had seen such a storm like this. It was very overwhelming for him he was helpless he could not secure his belongings before the storm came, blew his roof away, not thinking about his things anymore Mr. Saman and his wife quickly went to find a place to hide. Fortunately Mr. Saman and his wife survived the horror by hiding in his car, surviving minor injuries.

Full story: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/05/06/monster-storm-brings-fear/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-05-06

I guess we were lucky to only lose a tree.

375091_10201219651676458_2132764966_n.jp

this one can be pulled up again and secured with some posts

beautifull tree by the way

Edited by retell

I wish. The trunk snapped off right at the roots with very little still connected. It was a big heavy tree and would have needed a crane to move. Anyway it has already been chopped up and hauled away. I will miss the shade in the late afternoon.

I wish. The trunk snapped off right at the roots with very little still connected. It was a big heavy tree and would have needed a crane to move. Anyway it has already been chopped up and hauled away. I will miss the shade in the late afternoon.

too bad

guess gonna be a party tent for some shade later?