Returning Home?

drumcool

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't take this the wrong way, but don't you have any family here in Thailand who can answer all your questions?

You still speak fluently Thai?

I do but I do but they are busy atm. (time different) and Im researching now and looking for more answer.

I cant really speak thai. english is pretty much now my only language I speak. however i Understand thai well.

I think you have the answer here, you arrive with your British passport and if asked to take the loto just remember you don't speak Thai and I can't imagine them wanting you in the Thai Army.

• Like 1

OP....send a PM to Samran.

He knows more than most about this subject.

Thank you smile.png

dc,

If you use the search function:

click on the cog looking icon, to the right of the search function, upper right of the screen

Find Worgs: Military service

Forums

Find Author: samran

General Topics

Search now

Plenty of info, I am not saying others are nor right, but samran is the authority on here re: these issues.

Whilst typing I see the 'authority', has materialised

To the OP.

If you want to return to Thailand you'll need a Thai passport. Best place to get it issued is in the UK via the embassy in London. Then you can enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

If you are staying long term, then you are eligible for conscription.

If you are just going to Thailand for a few months, then going back to the UK, then you should be fine on that front.

I don't think that it's been established if he's eligible for a Thai passport yet,has it?

To the OP.

If you want to return to Thailand you'll need a Thai passport. Best place to get it issued is in the UK via the embassy in London. Then you can enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

If you are just going to Thailand for a few months, then going back to the UK, then you should be fine on that front.

I don't think that it's been established if he's eligible for a Thai passport yet,has it?

Sometimes people should think before posting on the more sensible threads here.

Not every little nitpicking point needs to be discussed.

OP has at least one Thai parent....that much is clear to the majority of us.

Drumcool, I apologize for the remarks you've gotten here. I admire you for staying polite and calm despite the rude remarks sent your way.

Samran has posted above. He knows the answers I believe. Listen to him and ignore all of the insults. We don't know your background or where you went to school or who taught you English. We have no right to judge. Besides, perfect English isn't required to post here. All that is needed is that you be understood and you are.

I wish you well in your journey.

smile.png Agree entirely. I hope you enjoy your working holiday back in Thailand. thumbsup.gif

I've deleted one very offensive post and the response to it.

Author of that particular post will be issued with a warning for flaming another member.

(too late/early to deal with it now, but trust me it will happen)

Anyone who tries it again will be given two weeks off

• Like 1

Oh wow... I did not expect my spelling and grammar to cause such chaos..... Seriously The 'keyboard warriors' please chill...haha.

My english is terrible yes and I am working on it :) but thanks for those of you who understand that I didn't check my post before posted. (Read it back, its actually funny for me)

Back to the topic.

1) Yes I do have THAI PASSPORT <--- Expired ages ago. I AM THAI BUT I GOT BRITISH CITIZENSHIP.

2) I habe got British Passport <--- My Only Passport

3) I moved to UK with my Mother at the ages of 11 after she devoice with my real dad (Who's still serving Thai army right now?) but I saw him like twice in my life.

4) My question was is it okay for me to go back to get a small job there/travel for a year. as British Citizen..

5) I am understand my 'Thai Born' Army selection law force and I was wondering if this will effects my right?

6) I'm not trying to takes advantage of My born country and not following the law requirement..Just need to know if I need to serve the army requirement FOR what I want to do (No.4)

7) Repeat -> My english is awful I know :)

Hope this is clear enough for everybody.

Thank you all so much for the positive negative comments. (Most are useful)

• Like 1

To the OP.

Thank You Samran

Please read my latest post on this topic. Just to double check the answers.

Hmm. He moved to UK when he was twelve so would imagine he didn't arrive by magic.

I was deported of cause... actually I came to uk by Tardis :)

• Like 1

I've deleted one very offensive post and the response to it.

Author of that particular post will be issued with a warning for flaming another member.

(too late/early to deal with it now, but trust me it will happen)

Anyone who tries it again will be given two weeks off

Thank you Mig16

You are far too kind :)

• Like 1

Oh wow... I did not expect my spelling and grammar to cause such chaos..... Seriously The 'keyboard warriors' please chill...haha.

My english is terrible yes and I am working on it smile.png but thanks for those of you who understand that I didn't check my post before posted. (Read it back, its actually funny for me)

Back to the topic.

1) Yes I do have THAI PASSPORT <--- Expired ages ago. I AM THAI BUT I GOT BRITISH CITIZENSHIP.

3) I moved to UK with my Mother at the ages of 11 after she devoice with my real dad (Who's still serving Thai army right now?) but I saw him like twice in my life.

4) My question was is it okay for me to go back to get a small job there/travel for a year. as British Citizen..

5) I am understand my 'Thai Born' Army selection law force and I was wondering if this will effects my right?

6) I'm not trying to takes advantage of My born country and not following the law requirement..Just need to know if I need to serve the army requirement FOR what I want to do (No.4)

7) Repeat -> My english is awful I know smile.png

You have made yourself understandable in English,which is acceptable,those that have complained are the ones that can't ,or don't want to give you a little leeway,and seem to have the problem,and not you!

My english is terrible yes and I am working on it smile.png but thanks for those of you who understand that I didn't check my post before posted. (Read it back, its actually funny for me)

Back to the topic.

7) Repeat -> My english is awful I know smile.png

1) You still need to get a Thai passport if you are going to move to Thailand to live. As said, you'll need to apply at the embassy in London and enter Thailand on it. Without it, you won't be able to work and other paperwork and officialdom will just be more diffucult. Staying long term, I'm sure you'll need to get an new ID card, which might have expired by now?

2) British passport won't help you stay in Thailand.

3) Not applicable

4) For a year, British passport won't help you. You can still use your Thai passport. Sounds like you want to do a gap year in Thailand more than anything.

5) As said, military conscription lottery is compulsory for anyone who is below 30 - if they haven't already done cadets at school, or if they are still in university. Otherwise, you are the same as everyone else. But it sounds like you'll be there a short time. Best bet is simply to be there less than a year to try things out....

6) See above. Probably you'll be fine. You aren't going to live in Thailand long term from the sounds of it

7) True...how did you get into University? Are you an engineer by chance :P

I don't understand why you all give him such a hard time.

He is British by nationality.

He wants to live and work in THL. As far as I see, loads of British DO live here and they are not asked for a Thai passport.

As any British person/ farang, you can get a job and get your employer to apply for working visa.

Army wise I know loads of mixed Thai kids who avoid the army by using their other passport when returning to THL.

Edited by Kitsune

I don't understand why you all give him such a hard time.

He is British by nationality.

He wants to live and work in THL. As far as I see, loads of British DO live here and they are not asked for a Thai passport.

As any British person/ farang, you can get a job and get your employer to apply for working visa.

Army wise I know loads of mixed Thai kids who avoid the army by using their other passport when returning to THL.

I don't know, but this is what I've been wondering. Don't a lot of farangs stay a year by doing border runs even without a work permit?

We don't know what his skills are for getting a work permit as a Brit. As a Thai, that's not an issue but the army is.

If he arrived as a Brit on a British passport and got a job could he then flash his Thai citizenship to duck punishment for working, if caught? Would that then bring up the army thing again? Is it worth the gamble?

These are questions, not answers.

I wish him well.

If you hold Thai citizenship, then you are eligible for conscription.

Seriously, you expect to be able to go to Thailand and take advantage of your Thai citizenship, but not have to accept the responsibility of military service that goes along with it? I can see you have assimilated well in the UK. tongue.png

well I dont really have a choice coming to UK as my mum got a job here... and if i dont want to take a responsibility as a thai person, why would i want to go back now? Im not trying to run away from the army service or anything because my dad is in the army anyway.. just writing to ask a simple question to see what the best option for retuning 'home'

It's really funny, you have family here and your dad's in the army and you are asking all these questions, very very strange indeed. Also you went to UK with your mom when you were already 12 and 9 years later you say "I can't really speak Thai" another very strange thingy here. So you spoke English with your mom all these years? Come on a Thai at 12 will not lose his language skill within 9 years. Who are you kidding?

• Like 2

1) If Want to go back there for work/live will this be a problem? (I Think so?)

Not if you use your Thai ID

>2) could I get Visa as a Brits to work?

Why if you have Thai ID

3) Will I need to do the army service?

If you are Thai you go in the Lotto same as every Thai national (or jail if you don't want to go)

Regardless of your British citizenship you are still a Thai natonal and as such fall into the same catagory as any Thai national so yes you would have to take your chances.

You can buy you free, for about 30 000 bhat

OP moved to UK when he was 12. What language did you speak up to the age of 12 ??

How can you have a British passport and a Thai passport? Dual citizenship is not allowed with a Thai passport.

Thailand does permit dual citizenship. Both my Thai wife & Thai born stepson have dual citizenship (Australian). They exit Australia on Oz passport & when entering Thailand, on Thai passport. Any exceptions would depend on the dual citizenship laws of your "home" country, but is permitted by UK government

Edited by simple1

Two years ago I had an issue over Visa requirements for myself. I looked up the Thai Immigration Office in Bangkok and got their e-mail address from their website. I e-mailed them in English and they gave me the answer to my questions, which was more than my local Immigration Office could do. Give it a go and print and keep the reply you get, so that you can show it to anyone in authority who might query your status. I must admit, I am very saddened at those who felt they had the right to be rude to a young person who was looking for advice on an important topic - shame on you and I hope your beer supply permanently dries upbah.gif

A few posters asked why didn't he ask his father who is in the army?

Well he did say that he only saw him twice in his whole life so maybe that gives you a clue why.w00t.gif

Also after being in the UK for 8 years he writes good enough English that everybody here understands his post(s).

Most expats I know here , the ones who have been here 8 years or longer, don't write Thai at all.

So please give this guy a break

• Like 1

god sake he said hes seen his dad 2 times are you simple,give him a break you ever so perfect people,i suggest you might like to use both passports when your here in thailand,be carefull and good luck drumcool,there ignorance is bliss,

Could people with answers help answer the questions? If you don't have the answer that's fine, but lets cut out all the other non relevant stuff. As a Thai male citizen, you are required to go through army conscription in some way. You either go to the lotto pick, or you can go to training a for a couple of years (I think.....not sure). Many at schools and universities do that...part time army training thing. Research that. What's confusing is your questions about the visa and work permit. With a Thai ID you shouldn't need a work permit. But these are just my general thoughts. Hopefully someone with specific ideas can guide you in the right direction.

Honestly. my idea was to go back there for a year to work. but I didn't realise about the army service thing until today. that why i was slightly confused. but thank you for answering my question.

If you can't speak, read and write Thai fluently, they won't accept you into the army.

Come here as a British person , jump through all our hoops and do not use your Thai id...

Simple . You are a British citizen on holiday... And they have no way to know you are here unless you let them know

Anyway probably too busy ordering soldiers to look after gardens for money as I read on here the other day...

Last thing you want is to end up in south Thailand!!!