Lost My Interest In Thailand

Thongkorn

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP: obviously your choice as to where you want to spend your time and money, just realize that at this point most of your experiences here are the result of choice you yourself have made. Start making different choices (including never setting foot here again if that's really what you want) and you'll have different experiences. Less drastically avoiding places like Pattaya and being aware of the calendar (you really didn't know Songkran was coming??) will also greatly improve your odds of having a good time. If your spending time with the Thai relatives is important to your SO but that annoying to you, I'm sure you can work out an acceptable compromise.

However you should be aware that supporting her family is definitely an important value to your wife, quite possibly one of the main reasons she ended up with you? and you should not interfere with her doing that no matter how much the recipients might be throwing the money away in your opinion.

However IMO that money should be coming from her own discretionary capital/income as you've agreed with her, so if she decided to stop sending them that regular money she'd have more for her own "foolishness" like fashionable clothing and electronics.

I think personally if I ever got to the point where I relied on my kids to support me I would consider this a failure on my part. This isn't culture guys is laziness and greed combined.

No this is definitely a cultural difference, and for anyone not yet "permanently" attached to a particular Thai, you should take your SO's desire to support her parents as a good sign of her being a good moral person.

If your SO expresses that she doesn't care about them and isn't willing to help them out, then she's either lying to you or even worse is completely "off the reservation" in her morality and IMO much more likely to turn on your as well at some point down the road.

In sum, my strategy on this issue is to make sure my partner has access to sufficient funds to support her family to the extent she chooses, including building up a "reserve fund" she doesn't even know about for emergency/contingencies that inevitably turn up.

If Daddy requires a very expensive operation to save his life, and paying for that will endanger the financial viability of our own nuclear family unit, then obviously I've got a tough decision to make, but that's another topic.

If my wife had married me to provide for her family, she was in for a shock.

I made it very clear that I provide for her and myself here, and not for them. However, I did help her pay off a motorbike for her nephew, which I regretted once I met the little ****.

If the MIL requires a very expensive operation to save her life, I'll just say that she is Buddhist and will be back again in the next life- they can't argue with that!

However, if anyone feels that their mission in life is to take care of the extended family, go for it, you obviously have way more money that I, and good luck to you.

To the OP: obviously your choice as to where you want to spend your time and money, just realize that at this point most of your experiences here are the result of choice you yourself have made. Start making different choices (including never setting foot here again if that's really what you want) and you'll have different experiences. Less drastically avoiding places like Pattaya and being aware of the calendar (you really didn't know Songkran was coming??) will also greatly improve your odds of having a good time. If your spending time with the Thai relatives is important to your SO but that annoying to you, I'm sure you can work out an acceptable compromise.

However you should be aware that supporting her family is definitely an important value to your wife, quite possibly one of the main reasons she ended up with you? and you should not interfere with her doing that no matter how much the recipients might be throwing the money away in your opinion.

However IMO that money should be coming from her own discretionary capital/income as you've agreed with her, so if she decided to stop sending them that regular money she'd have more for her own "foolishness" like fashionable clothing and electronics.

I think personally if I ever got to the point where I relied on my kids to support me I would consider this a failure on my part. This isn't culture guys is laziness and greed combined.

No this is definitely a cultural difference, and for anyone not yet "permanently" attached to a particular Thai, you should take your SO's desire to support her parents as a good sign of her being a good moral person.

If your SO expresses that she doesn't care about them and isn't willing to help them out, then she's either lying to you or even worse is completely "off the reservation" in her morality and IMO much more likely to turn on your as well at some point down the road.

In sum, my strategy on this issue is to make sure my partner has access to sufficient funds to support her family to the extent she chooses, including building up a "reserve fund" she doesn't even know about for emergency/contingencies that inevitably turn up.

If Daddy requires a very expensive operation to save his life, and paying for that will endanger the financial viability of our own nuclear family unit, then obviously I've got a tough decision to make, but that's another topic.

If my wife had married me to provide for her family, she was in for a shock.

I made it very clear that I provide for her and myself here, and not for them. However, I did help her pay off a motorbike for her nephew, which I regretted once I met the little ****.

If the MIL requires a very expensive operation to save her life, I'll just say that she is Buddhist and will be back again in the next life- they can't argue with that!

However, if anyone feels that their mission in life is to take care of the extended family, go for it, you obviously have way more money that I, and good luck to you.

You may find you have to choose between your principles and your marriage at some point.

I would certainly contribute to saving a close member of my SO's family to the extent it doesn't threaten the sustainability of our own nuclear one's finances.

But if that were required I'd be involved in treatment decisions, direct discussions with the doctors and other service providers, and try to make sure top value for baht spent rather than on some of the face-building trappings these private hospitals put on.

we lived 4 years in pattaya. we enjoyed here... we hanged out downtown, went movies and central times to times...

plus we got carrefour, fast food, and thai markets.. carrefour is gone. now big c.

we walked along jomtien beach in the evening. we live near the beach on jomtien... we liked it but after a few years we want move. in same time we start to be exasperated from noise at night... karaoke and traffic. more neighbor who are not quiet.

too many people now, too much traffic and crazy people. in 4years things have changed. beach are cleaner, and red light to X streets... which don't work... so what s the point?

price has increased too a little.

so bye bye pattaya. we enjoyed it, we got a good time here . now it s time to look for another town..

some like it some don't like it... but having seen thailand and it s problems I enjoy thailand as a tourist and not as an investor here.

will maybe go back to pattaya if i stop in bkk. but just for a few days.

goodbye my friends of pattaya . goodbye to all the pets we have taken care of. I will miss you...

Edited by Cheapcharly

we lived 4 years in pattaya. we enjoyed here... we hanged out downtown, went movies and central times to times... plus we got carrefour, fast food, and thai markets.. carrefour is gone. now big c. we walked along jomtien beach in the evening. we live near the beach on jomtien... we liked it but after a few years we want move. in same time we start to be exasperated from noise at night... karaoke and traffic. more neighbor who are not quiet. too many people now, too much traffic and crazy people. in 4years things have changed. beach are cleaner, and red light to X streets... which don't work... so what s the point? price has increased too a little. so bye bye pattaya. we enjoyed it, we got a good time here . now it s time to look for another town.. some like it some don't like it... but having seen thailand and it s problems I enjoy thailand as a tourist and not as an investor here. will maybe go back to pattaya if i stop in bkk. but just for a few days. goodbye my friends of pattaya . goodbye to all the pets we have taken care of. I will miss you...

get ready for all the insults, Best of luck mate.

I didn't insult pattaya, i just said I got a good time there.

5 years ago I stayed only 5 days in pattaya and i visited jomtien beach. then I went back to western countries dreaming to live one day near jomtien.

i came back 10 months later just for a few days and I met a nice thai lady. then I lived with her for 4 years and don't regret anything. my few days vacation was extended to 4 years.

in fact my life took a sense... live you life and f... western countries... sun, beach, sea, food, and all this at a cheaper price.

I became a prince, can do whatever I want. can go out, eat restaurant, travel... what do you do in europe? stay home, watch tv... arrrgh :-(, pay taxes all day long. shit life...

in western countries ladies are ugly and want babies.... bah ! boring...

anyway pattaya has too much traffic, like any town, it become more populated everyday and one day if i stay too long in pattaya I will feel like in a big capital with its noise, pollution, traffic and crime... and it s time to move... why stay years in the same town.? .. plenty of good towns in thailand.

• Like 1

Insults ? Why would we insult the guy for expressing a desire to move somewhere other than Patts ?

Watch this space - it will happen.

I applaud anybody who can recognise when they have overstayed their welcome and are able to move on. No point in staying and moaning (many do) - time for new pastures.

Insults ? Why would we insult the guy for expressing a desire to move somewhere other than Patts ?

Watch this space - it will happen.

I applaud anybody who can recognise when they have overstayed their welcome and are able to move on. No point in staying and moaning (many do) - time for new pastures.

I was expecting him to receive more abuse for praising Pattaya from the "Why would I go to a place like that" posters.

SC

How coincidental OP...I just now have lost interest in your posts and topics!  Seems like we should both make our way to greener pastures.  

yes i agree... i m far from pattaya... will regret pattaya but time to move on for different green pastures. ... but life continues.