Thai Police Rescue 1,300 Caged Dogs From Smugglers

webfact

Thai police rescue 1,300 caged dogs from smugglers

BANGKOK, May 7, 2013 (AFP) - Around 1,300 dogs crammed into cages have been seized in less than a week in Thailand's northeast border region, officials said Monday, amid concerns that the canines were destined for overseas dinner plates.

Around 300 dogs were found Monday in Bueng Kan province, according to local police, while authorities in neighbouring Sakon Nakhon province said 400 dogs were found Sunday, following a haul of 600 a few days before.

On Sunday, villagers in Sakon Nakhon told police "they heard sound of dogs whining and barking in scrubland", according to local provincial police chief Polsak Banjongsiri.

"When we arrived, we found more than 400 dogs abandoned in about a hundred cages," he told AFP.

"Some dogs are strays, some have been sold by their owners," he said, adding that they were destined to be trafficked to neighbouring countries.

The rescued animals were taken to the already overcrowded Animal Quarantine Centre in nearby Nakhon Phanom province.

"This is a trans-national network to take them to neighbouring countries. Most of them are for people's food -- the meat trade -- they would have been butchered," said the centre's head Chusak Pongpanich.

Dogs are an essential part of cuisine marking the end of the lunar month for older traditionalists in nearby Vietnam.

An increase in animal ownership in the communist nation has also seen growing ranks of thieves go from small town to small town in rural areas stealing pets to sell to dog meat restaurants.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-05-07

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, presumably there is some requirement for live export of animals, but I still don't get why this is such an enormous issue. As someone asked, is it illegal to sell or eat dogs?

If it is in such demand, why on earth doesn't someone get into farming them, like they do in Korea?

Charges from a previous court conviction for attempted cross border dog smuggling of 2,000 dogs. Four months prison, plus approx 20,000 baht fines, fines reduced by half for pleading guilty. Most of the dogs later died, assume for lack of veterinary care.

trading dogs without permission; transporting dogs without permission; cruelty against animals; and having in their possession dogs that weren't yet vaccinated by a veterinarian.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/501074-jail-terms-for-dog-smugglers/

Edited by simple1

Perhaps the police could do something about all the aggressive dogs I come in contact with almost every day on my jogging route*?

I'm sure the local police will rush to your aid and solve your proble, thats their job to help expat joggers. YOU WISH

What a waste of manpower & money that would be, I think they have better ways of spending their time than rush to the aid of 1 person in a country of how many million ? If anything its the responsibility of the local councils to contol dog populations I think you will find.

Before coming to LOS i quite liked dogs - not crazy 'bout them, but ok with them - now i hate them en masse after several near-maulings to such an extent that though i don't agree with this criminal trade, i do think the world would be a better place with a huge reduction in dog numbers.

• Like 2

If the government set up a program that the female street dogs were spayed for one year the problem would be reduced dramatically. Far less cruel than having so many wild dogs that scavenge around looking for food. They are usually less than a year old before they are pregnant. Around my workshop I see them have five or six pups, within a couple of weeks only one or two have survived and within not many months one of the pups is pregnant also. The locals poison them and I've even seen them with rear legs tied together to stop the nastier ones. They really are a problem. We all see them knocked down by cars on a daily basis as well as chasing motorbikes and Joggers causing accidents.This would in turn stop the meat trade which is very cruel to a mans best friend.

I believe there is a government scheme that pays for spaying and neutering but of course this doesn't help with strays. I think some charities try to deal with this though. Not surprised with what you say about poisoning. All such good Buddhists aren't they?

• Like 2

these smugglers make me sick, and should be caged themselfs !!

I still can't work out what they are actually guilty of. Animal cruelty?

you should change your user name to NO HEART just hope you never need to be rescued by one,you want to look up how they die before being eaten.

• Like 2

if for ones they can do something intelligent,eat ....sell or kill those damned dogs ,and keep the streets a little safer ......no they will release these dangerous ,accidents causing dogs back on the street !

Unbelievable !

Hundreds of people die every year in accidents with dogs,thousants become criple .....and still they do nothing to this filthy problem ?

And now the stupid comments of the so called animal -lovers?

They are not released back onto the streets, those that survive are taken to a government shelter in Nakhon Phanom. But don't let the facts get in the way of your uninformed ranting.

Delicious Vietnamese food
www.saigon-recipe.com
Healthy Vietnamese dishes on Suk49. Cool and comfortable atmosphere.

This ad under post #10. Ironic, however it's a great restaurant and great food.