Call For Total Smoking Ban At Thailand's Main International Airports

webfact

Call for total smoking ban at main international airports
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A health advocate called for a total ban on smoking at major airports nationwide Tuesday after many areas of passenger terminals were found to have "second-hand" smoke levels two times higher than World Health Organisation (WHO) standards over 24 hours.

Mahidol University public health researcher Assoc Prof Dr Niphan Kungskulniti said her team found that smoking rooms, areas near to doors of smoking rooms, and non-smoking areas at four airports - Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai and Phuket - had high second-hand smoke levels with small particles under 2.5 micrograms exceeding WHO airquality standards.

The study, revealed Tuesday, found a level of second-hand smoke in the smoking room, areas near the door of smoking rooms, and non-smoking areas at the international airports were 773.4, 54.6, and 14.3 mcg per cubic metre, respectively.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-07

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about enforcing existing no-smoking regualtions?

There are many bars that allow smoking, even though they shouldn't.

The Landmark Hunstman's Pub, for one. Cactus in Soi Cowboy, for two. There are plenty of others.

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 1

Well where's my freedom in able to having a smoke while waiting many hours at an airport.

Your habit involves damaging the health of others. SO I say you have no say.

Why is it we all know Alcohol is the root of all evil, but this is permitted at all times at airports and during the flight.

I know who I would rather sit next to...... Someone just come out of a smoking room than someone on Alcohol any day !!

So you anti smokers who like a drink.... Let's take your rights away also... No Alcohol in all airports! Why should you sit and be able to consume something that kills and destroys life's everyday but we can not.

I would be perfectly fine with makeing all flights (and airports) alcohol free. Smoke free too.

• Like 2

"called for a total ban on smoking at major airports nationwide Tuesday after many areas of passenger terminals were found to have "second-hand" smoke levels two times higher than World Health Organisation (WHO) standards over 24 hours"

Are we to expect a call for a total ban on all burning in northern Thailand when pm10 readings are only 2x higher than WHO standards?

Well it would be interesting to know when they checked the levels wouldn't it. If it was in March/April then I would imagine it would have been many times over everyones limit as it is every year.

Thank Buddha I quite smoking over 5 years ago, but I totally think they should have smoking lounges for those that need it. Invest a few Baht into better ventilation and sealing of the rooms. With the amount of cash the airports receive in taxes cut down on the corruption and invest.

Perhaps they could copy Singapore and have an outside balcony from one of their smoking rooms. No need to ''switch on'' air filters then or even clean them and no one would notice the extra smoke for most of the year. Like you I stopped, 10 years ago, it was giving me earache. Nag Nag Nag!
Brisbane's are outside as well.

Thank Buddha I quite smoking over 5 years ago, but I totally think they should have smoking lounges for those that need it. Invest a few Baht into better ventilation and sealing of the rooms. With the amount of cash the airports receive in taxes cut down on the corruption and invest.

Perhaps they could copy Singapore and have an outside balcony from one of their smoking rooms. No need to ''switch on'' air filters then or even clean them and no one would notice the extra smoke for most of the year. Like you I stopped, 10 years ago, it was giving me earache. Nag Nag Nag!

I think balcony's are a bit touchy in Thailand, not?

It would be touchy to have a balcony and not let them smoke out there.