Retirement Visa Obtained In Bangkok; Renewing Elsewhere

I live in Sakon Nakhon. This year, for the first time, I decided to apply for a one-year retirement visa. I used a firm of Bangkok lawyers and, with one exception, everything went like clockwork. They told me to attend on the day with my passport and a copy, an embassy-certified certificate of income, and plenty of fee money.

No ‘clean’ police report, no one-page medical certificate.

By the end of a very long day I had my 1-year visa, multiple-entry.

The glitch concerned my address. The firm assured me that it was ok to use a Bangkok hotel address, stressing that if I came clean about Sakon Nakhon, Bangkok Immigration would tell me to apply there. The first officer to sign off on my application made no comment, but the countersigning officer frowned when she saw my ‘address’ and murmured, ‘How long has he been living in a hotel?’ My minder replied in placatory Thai, she shrugged, and the deed was done.

I like to plan ahead. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do next year, come renewal time? I could try the ‘hotel’ trick again and hope it works. Or I could apply to Sakon Nakhon, but I don’t want to do that. They will present me with a list a yard long of things they need to see, only for me to show up on the day, find myself dealing with another officer, and be told that everything I’ve brought along is useless. Even if I attend months ahead and ask the for a definitive list, it could still happen – I read this forum!

I’ve been thinking of applying for a yellow household registration book. Perhaps that’s a bad idea. Are those things computerised? If I had such a book, would Bangkok Immigration know? If so, the 'hotel trick' won't work.

John

Just go to immigration change address.

When your yearly extension is due,take required documents.

You should notify change of address within 24 hours,but most don't seem to bother,

Police report and medical isn't required in your original application.

Presume you paid a tidy sum,for assistance.

If you renew,yourself,have the pre requisite,funds in your bank,seasoned,3 months.

There is no need for any tricks or lawyer to be involved in retirement extensions of stay.

You are aware the only requirement is being over age 50/copy of your passport data/entry/departure card and TM.7/photo with fee of 1,900 baht for extension and if you want re-entry permit 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi? There is no medical or police report for an extension of stay. The only other thing is some proof of where you live as that determines where you apply. You have been doing 90 day address reports since application for extension (or have not stayed more than 90 days)? You should apply where you live. It is a local decision and normally will only take about 30 minutes (plus queue time if busy).

If you live in Sakhon Nakhon, you should immediately file a change of address form, TM 28, at Sakhon Nakhon Immigration (no charge) showing your address in Sakhon Nakhon. Then do your 90 day reports and extend your permission to stay next year at Sakhon Nakhon.

From your post you did not get a 1 year visa, as visas are not issued in Thailand, but a 1 year permission to stay for retirement purposes with a multiple re-entry permit.

"The glitch concerned my address. The firm assured me that it was ok to use a Bangkok hotel address, stressing that if I came clean about Sakon Nakhon, Bangkok Immigration would tell me to apply there."

And you believed that, even with the contradiction?

If you do get caught being less than honest, tell them; "The lawyers made me do it"

As others have said, retirement extensions are generally very easy and painless.

OP, have you been making 90 day reports or leaving the country at least every 90 days?

It doesn't sound like you've been making the reports, so hoepfully you've been traveling.

Good luck.

Many thanks to all the people who kindly spent time and trouble to help me. Much appreciated!

I don't get to the internet too often when I'm here in Sakon Nakhon, so if anyone else posts and doesn't get a speedy acknowledgement, please be patient.

John