Is Traveling To And In Thailand Dangerous?

shpnky

Just need to add a point about Thailand and holidaying here - last night I went to our local night plaza for a meal and a beer. After about 15 minutes the table next to me was occupied by a German tourist and the Thai lady he had picked up for the night. Although the plaza is officially a no smoking area the owner (with good connections) has designated around 7/8 tables as being smoking. The German, a smoker, was directed to the table next to mine whilst arguing with the staff that he wished to smoke and sit in a no smoking designated area. They sat him at the table and he continued (in a very aggressive and loud voice) to rant on and on about his rights (he was obviously an ex member of the Hitler youth movement or something) and how on his last visit (five years previously) he had sat where he had wanted to and smoked. His poor girl friend tried hard to explain that the smoking laws had changed since then but, she was treated as through she was a prisoner in a concentration camp and he was the guard. A really obnoxious git who loved to shout out his own importance!

Both Thai and Westerners sitting around were appalled at his behavior and were having their evening spoiled by the obnoxious git - finally, after telling him to shut the <deleted> up I asked him how old he was? He replied that he was 80 something so, I then asked him if perhaps it was now time for him to act it? With that he went quiet with just the odd growl at his girl friend.

The point? This git is a prime contender to die in any country but, if people behave normally and show respect to others, that respect will be returned many times over here in Thailand!

I'm sure that this git will go home and tell others what a "bad" place Thailand is (rather like some TV posters). Have a good time and enjoy your holiday!

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is one of the most dangerous countries you can visit on the planet. For example, for British citizens, it is the number one death destination in the world. More Britons die while in Thailand than in any other country on earth. Many such deaths can be ascribed to irresponsible and risk-taking behaviour; however, Thailand also has notorious corruption, an ineffective police force, weak regulations in matters of health and safety and little or no enforcement of them, and inadequate infrastructure that can pose many dangers on a day-to-day basis. You can quite easily be maimed or killed just walking down the street, due to the dangerous conditions of the street infrastructure. Never travel to Thailand without a very good travel insurance policy that should cover you for unlimited medical expenses and repatriation to your home country in the event that you are gravely injured.

Many British citizens die in Thailand, because it is a destination of choice for men with certain characteristics. Has anyone researched the risk-profile of male visitors? Any combination of factors:::: age, BMI, heavy drinkers, smokers, education level, enjoy dangerous pursuits, etc. Of course, that doesn't apply to all male visitors, but look at the lifestyle and profile of many of those who die here. ( certainly those reported in TVF ).

These are well researched musings. Not plucked out of thin air ................whistling.gif

• Like 2

bkk_mike, on 12 May 2013 - 14:21, said:

impulse, on 10 May 2013 - 13:23, said:

FalangBaa, on 10 May 2013 - 00:53, said:

Thailand is one of the most dangerous countries you can visit on the planet. For example, for British citizens, it is the number one death destination in the world. More Britons die while in Thailand than in any other country on earth. Many such deaths can be ascribed to irresponsible and risk-taking behaviour; however, Thailand also has notorious corruption, an ineffective police force, weak regulations in matters of health and safety and little or no enforcement of them, and inadequate infrastructure that can pose many dangers on a day-to-day basis. You can quite easily be maimed or killed just walking down the street, due to the dangerous conditions of the street infrastructure. Never travel to Thailand without a very good travel insurance policy that should cover you for unlimited medical expenses and repatriation to your home country in the event that you are gravely injured.

Not even close...

http://www.traveldailynews.com/images/upload/File/british-abroad-report-240809.pdf

Get your facts straight before bashing. Then bash away if you still feel you're right in spite of the facts.

Your figures actually prove him right (not in the actual number of deaths, but in it being the most dangerous). If you carry on reading, it actually says...

As a proportion of the number of visitors, Britons were most likely to be hospitalised in Thailand,

As a proportion of visitors British deaths are most likely to occur in Thailand

Divide the number of deaths by the number of tourists, and Thailand is top of the list... which would make it the most dangerous.

Yup, that is what the stat's say (not mine, BTW, official numbers). But that's not what I underlined on his post.

And to fully understand those stats, you would have to break it up by deaths of tourists vs long stay residents who basically come to Thailand to live out the rest of their lives, and consequently die in Thailand of natural causes- like old age. The linked document makes no distinction.

In fairness, the comparison between the USA at 1/47,000 and Thailand at 1/3,000 (Post #52) has to be looked into more carefully, too. Most long stay expats in the USA (at least the ones that plan to live out there lives there) may become US citizens and fall off the UK radar- no longer UK nationals. Not so much with long stay Thailand expats who face more hurdles to gain citizenship. I don't know that to be true, but it would have to be considered before drawing any conclusions.

But I am glad some folks are actually looking at the numbers instead of using the AEM (anal extraction method- pulling numbers out of one's butt). You can have a good discussion about the friendliest people, or the best food, or the greatest scenery, without any numbers at all. But when the topic turns to safety, all the warm fuzzies in the world mean exactly diddly squat without a comparison of the numbers.

Good catch, bkk_mike.

Stats? Ignore stats...... UK stats state that 50% of married couples are male and that each married couple statistically will have 2.4 children. When was the last time you noticed 0.4 of a child walking around?

Report on what you see and know!

Edited by BrianCR

I've come to believe that people that don't travel much give the kind of advice that your parents did. Or, if they do travel outside their own country for 'holiday', they could just as well be in any generic resort anywhere that has a beach. Some folks are just not comfortable outside the familiar, clinically hygienic, 2 weeks in the Hilton resort. After living in Thailand for 5 years, all 'problems' are or have been of my own making. Best of all is having visitors from the States and educating them on bathroom hygiene! I tell them all that paper just smears everything around and at least start carrying "Baby Wipes" from now on.

I've come to believe that people that don't travel much give the kind of advice that your parents did. Or, if they do travel outside their own country for 'holiday', they could just as well be in any generic resort anywhere that has a beach. Some folks are just not comfortable outside the familiar, clinically hygienic, 2 weeks in the Hilton resort. After living in Thailand for 5 years, all 'problems' are or have been of my own making. Best of all is having visitors from the States and educating them on bathroom hygiene! I tell them all that paper just smears everything around and at least start carrying "Baby Wipes" from now on.

Well there you go coffee1.gif . Now look up you lot. Nappies to be worn at all times and hose pipes are to be carried at all times. OK, at ease. coffee1.gif

Coming to Thailand can be dangerous, if the airplane crashes before Bangkok.

Traveling in Thailand can be dangerous, when you leave your brain at home.

Being at the wrong place at the wrong time is very dangerous. Just buckle up.=-bah.gif

Thailand has many pitfalls, and one has to be careful as a tourist. At least one or 2 expats/tourist die almost every day. The expats who live here know all about it and know what to look out for and what not to do to get into trouble.

• Like 1

certainly don't take any buses very late in the evening, the drivers notoriously fall asleep! and on-coming cars are notoriously drinking! Dont assume you cant intervene to insist on safety. Just do it with a smile. I was a passenger in a van where they began stacking boxes up precariously so that the first time the driver stepped on the brake he would have been bombarded with boxes, incredibly unsafe. I unstacked it and the passengers thanked me. It is less safe than in many modern travels, but its no worse than traveling in some ghetto areas, although for different reasons.Be prepared to forfeit a few dollars if the vehicle or driver doesn't seem safe, wait for the next one if you must. I swear, no exaggeration this one bus was filled with 1000s of mosquitoes and the driver looked at me with a straight face and shrugged as if to say, so?

I feel sure he meant the state of the roads, as in having the sidewalk blocked and motorists with no respect for pedestrians. Add in dodging the vendors who are allowed to block the sidewalks. As in crosswalks having zero safety.

I also know of a five star hospitital being sued for using past expiration date drugs.

I know of doctors who buy drugs that aren't stored correctly as in antibiotics shelved in 90 degrees . It goes on and on.

Third world quality at first world prices is the latest refrain going around.

You are talking a lot of rubbish, although what you say about corruption, an ineffective police force and travel insurance is true. Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world, and your'e comment "you can be killed or maimed just walking down the street", is such a load of nonsense, that just will not happen in 99.9% of the times, if you don't bother the Thais, then they won't bother you, how many people in Thailand are killed just walking down the street compared to the UK? How many Brits visit Thailand compared to people from other western countries? How many get drunk and then hire motorbikes compared to other Western countries. Although there are a very few exceptions, Thai people are the most non confrontational you will ever meet.

Ask the 90 "morons " on Flight 269 about safety in Thailand.

Well you can't, so to theOP remember you aren't hearing from the ones who weren't so lucky.

My " noodle cart blocking the sidewalk" is more about a lack of safety culture, than that being a hazard though I can well imagine at least one or two foreigners has been killed stepping out to go around one of these.

The same folks who tell you how fuzzy and warm Thailand is are the same warning you to never ever confront a Thai, so seems to be a bit of hypocrisy there..

Are they warm and fuzzy or prone to sudden violence? Which is it?

Please do not listen to these morons, I'm from britian and can honestly say I feel safer here in Thailand than I do in the uk, the people are so nice not once have I had a problem here in 6months I've been travelling the locals are so nice I'm considering moving here to live.
Compared to where I lived in oxford its so different there are more violence crimes etc there than I have witnessedor heard of here.
Yes there are some problems with Muslims in the deep south Burma boarder but if avoided the rest of Thailand is beautiful.

I feel more threaten visiting my brother in London than I do here anyone who post negative things about thailand is an idiot and probably came here to get drunk everyday and treat the locals with disrespect hence there negative posts. Ive travelled alone the whole time and had never travelled before and it truely is the best thing I've ever done and believe thai people to be far nicer than most in the uk

^ Just expressing the asked for opinion is all.

I think if the infamous prostitution were removed from the Thai equation, a whole lot less complimentary opinions would be expressed. The nation gets away with some fairly horrific policies because of it,and quite a few embassy and consulate staff aren't going to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

My summation to the to the OP is:

The entire country is more concerned with appearances than substance and safety standards reflect this.

Edited by EBlair48

As a Brit you are (or were - figures from 2 yrs ago) more likely to die in the Phlippines than Thailand.

64% of Brit deaths in Thailand are from natural causes. (a lot of retirees on both those countries)
So if you take the remaining 36% figure, how does that make Thailand look now?

Interesting article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/05/brits-behaving-less-badly-report

and figures here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/aug/25/british-travel-drugs-arrests-passports

Maybe somebody can find tne more up to date figures?

Appreciate the OP is not British, but it kinda puts things into perspective.

As others have said don't get so drunk you can't look after yourself, project valuables, don't ride motorbikes, try to avoid traveling by mini van, drink lots of fluids to keep hydrated.

Contrary to what some here say, who've probably never even been there, as a single(?) young man, don't miss out on exploring Soi Cowboy in Bangkok and the bars of Pattaya late at night.

just paint a target on you and all the scammers will know you are a newbie just be careful , and try not to hang around the shady areas , you will know when you see one

Can the OP post something on the lines of what he/she is expecting to see/experience in the 'Far East'

If we knew what kind of holiday he wanted I'm sure ( not joking ) there are many on Thai visa who could give him constructive advice.

As a Brit you are (or were - figures from 2 yrs ago) more likely to die in the Phlippines than Thailand.

64% of Brit deaths in Thailand are from natural causes. (a lot of retirees on both those countries)

So if you take the remaining 36% figure, how does that make Thailand look now?

Interesting article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/05/brits-behaving-less-badly-report

and figures here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/aug/25/british-travel-drugs-arrests-passports

Maybe somebody can find tne more up to date figures?

Appreciate the OP is not British, but it kinda puts things into perspective.

As others have said don't get so drunk you can't look after yourself, project valuables, don't ride motorbikes, try to avoid traveling by mini van, drink lots of fluids to keep hydrated.

Contrary to what some here say, who've probably never even been there, as a single(?) young man, don't miss out on exploring Soi Cowboy in Bangkok and the bars of Pattaya late at night.

So if Thailand was actually so horrible, dangerous and unsafe why are so many Brits retiring there for their final years? There must be something nice about the place?

Back to original post, enjoy your vacation in Thailand, see the sights, enjoy the food. Tell your parents it is safer than a visit to New York, Washington D.C., or Chicago. Then before your next visit convince your parents they need to see this unique place and culture and bring them with you.

• Like 2

EDIT Post # 36

There road rule is handy to know though, and there IS only one..........there are NO rules!!

Should have read "THE road rule is handy to know though, and there is only one............there are NO rules!!

Quote possum 1931, ""you can be killed or maimed just walking down the street", is such a load of nonsense, that just will not happen in 99.9% of the times,".

Make that 99.999999999% of the time. The risk of being killed or maimed just walking down the street is infinitesimal, and to suggest otherwise is no more than sensationalist scaremongering. That is a risk that exists anywhere/everywhere, and I would suggest no greater in Thailand than anywhere else.