Thailand's Taxi Owners Work Hard On Image

webfact

I've lived in two places in Bangkok, both out of the city, and to be fair to the cabbies, I rarely have problems. I occasionally end up with Somchai Schumacher, and the odd one has body odour issues, but they virtually never refuse my fare on the meter and they never get lost, deliberately or not. The only times I ever take a taxi are when I have been drinking, and I find they are a reliable and friendly way to get a p!ssed me home.

I will concede though, on my rare trips in to town, the story is waaaaayyyyyy different.

I don't think that I am the only one to have experienced a ride with a taxi driver high on meth. Dreadful!!!

I'd say police clearance record, drug test records as well as T.B screening should be collected by the owners.

I think you may be. How do you know when a person sitting with his back to you is "high on meth"?

Remove a cigarette lighter from your pocket and light it - if the driver explodes he was high on meth! Opp's sorry I thought you meant methylated spirits!

I am not shocked at some of these stories, just sad. The point summary of the problems is dead accurate. But the 'authorities are doing nothing and there has not been too many reports of cabbies being prosecuted - most like because the media is being controlled and they do not want to see negative reports. Thailand has a lot of issues and the fish always stinks from the head down. Lead by example? There you have it and the reason behind all these issues. Lawlessness and corruption will not allow the 'image' of either taxi drivers or the country be be raised. It's that simple.

• not knowing where to go even when given the address in Thai (and we don't really go to complicated places)
  • not wanting to use the meter;
  • smelling like booze;
  • high on something;
  • reaching back to touch my kids;
  • being flirty;
  • loud radio;
  • hate farangs expression;
  • driving too fast;
  • refusing to take us;
  • even worse, letting us into the cab and then refusing to take us.

90% of the taxis I use are fine. You've just got to remember Bangkok isn't Hong Kong or Singapore. Nor London or New York. It's Bangkok, the capital of a fairly poor country with a huge rural population who descend on the capital to make money anyway they can, including taxi driving.They will never admit they don't know where somewhere is, but if you help them out with directions they will appreciate it. Depending where and when you use them, a few will try it on for extra money. I've never really had one threaten violence, and not more than a handful in 4 years smelling of drink.