2012 Was A Record Year For Swedish Deaths In Thailand

webfact

2012 was a record year of Swedish deaths in Thailand
BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

varberg.jpg

BANGKOK: -- 2012 was a tough year for Swedes in Thailand. 105 died, which is the highest number ever in one year and almost double from the 55 deaths in 2007.

“There have been unusually many traffic accidents involving Swedes in the first half of 2012. Another reason is that is becoming more popular to retire in Thailand. Many die of natural causes,” says Pär Kågeby from the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok.

The increase in deaths among Swedes in Thailand seems to be continuing. During the first three months 28 Swedish nationals died. Like in the past years, accidents, natural deaths and suicides are among the most common causes. On average five Swedes commit suicide every year in Thailand,

Many foreign tourists underestimate how dangerous the Thai traffic can be. According to WHO more than 26.000 people are killed yearly on the roads of Thailand. In comparison 296 died in Sweden because of road accidents in 2012.

”Many Swedes are not used to the left side traffic. They also leave Swedish traffic precautions at home and often drive without a helmet, which they would never do back home,” says Pär Kågeby.

But even if people do their part to travel safely on the roads, you can still get in accidents. Traffic morale is low, speed is high and Thailand has a high number of drunk drivers.

One of the worst accidents were when four Swedish youths aged 20 and 22 crashed and were all killed. They were travelling from Phuket to Koh Tao. They had hired a car with a private driver but they were hit by an oncoming vehicle where the driver fled the scene.

“Only half of the Swedes who lost their lifes in 2012 were insured. Many believe that the same rules apply in Thailand as in the EU, but that is not the case and casualties and injuries can become an expensive affair,” says Pär Kågeby.

Source: aftonbladet.se

Source: http://scandasia.com/2012-was-record-year-of-swedish-deaths-in-thailand/

-- ScandAsia 2013-05-13

I think sometimes when hearing of this happening in traffic related deaths that it's the left and right driving sides , they tend to drift to the wrong side , this has happened to Japanese tourists in Oz, quiet a few times and on straight stretches, either way when on holidays enjoying the fruits that the PTP have laid on, it's not a good ending.

I think sometimes when hearing of this happening in traffic related deaths that it's the left and right driving sides , they tend to drift to the wrong side , this has happened to Japanese tourists in Oz, quiet a few times and on straight stretches, either way when on holidays enjoying the fruits that the PTP have laid on, it's not a good ending.

Why? Both Japan and Australia drive on the left.

• Like 1

I don't think left or right side driving makes that big a difference, considering that here many drivers drive on both sides.... and on the sidewalk too, come to think of some near misses I have been exposed to. And if you look in a Thai/Swedish dictionary, you will see that homicide and suicide are synonyms. How many Swedes live here, btw? Are the Brits worried about being knocked out of first place in this "Death Race 2013"?

Heck, when you take a look at this Wikipedia article and table regarding List of Countries by Traffic Related Death, Thailand is a safe place to drive compared to many other countries. The table can be sorted different ways...try sorting by Road Fatalities Per Year Per 100,000 Inhabitants...Thailand is way down the list...heck, I just may cancel my 1st class insurance tomorrow and stop wearing a safety belt.

Heck, when you take a look at this Wikipedia article and table regarding List of Countries by Traffic Related Death, Thailand is a safe place to drive compared to many other countries. The table can be sorted different ways...try sorting by Road Fatalities Per Year Per 100,000 Inhabitants...Thailand is way down the list...heck, I just may cancel my 1st class insurance tomorrow and stop wearing a safety belt.

This is because MANY thais don't own cars/bikes and those people rarely die. Even so Thailand's rate is 2x the USA's and that's no laughing matter. Look at PER 100,000 motor vehicles and Thailand has nearly 8x the rate of fatalities as the US or Europe (per motor vehicle).

All the other countries that are above Thailand in that list are countries where there are very few cars (so 100,000 motor vehicles causing 14,000 deaths for example is because in Togo/Ethiopia/Africa is since they often run over pedestrians).

I'm sure if you were to isolate the high-traffic cities, the fatality rate may be above 200 per 100,000 vehicles, so close to 0.2%/vehicleowner a year. Almost a 2% chance of death in a decade of living in Thailand is no joke. Add in a 10% chance of serious injury.

So put that seatbelt/helmet back on and keep your insurance handy.

It is very much the same in England,if you try talking to a stranger they think you are either mad or want to mug them. Most people hate their work,and for the ones who enjoy Thailand,they just live to save enough money to get back.Try living alone in England over Christmas,it is horrible.

It is very much the same in England,if you try talking to a stranger they think you are either mad or want to mug them. Most people hate their work,and for the ones who enjoy Thailand,they just live to save enough money to get back.Try living alone in England over Christmas,it is horrible.

Cheerful Chappie posting of the week.

Good luck :)

Well I am from Denmark and when the swedish come here they drink, and drink and drink, can only imagine its much worse here biggrin.png

I was waiting for that one! Sad thing is that it's true... Us Swedes are very fond of our alcohol, I think it's because Sweden is so depressing to live in (atleast the larger cities). If you live in one of the larger cities of Sweden your life basically consists of working, watching tv, and go on a drinking binge on the weekend just to forget about the meaninglessness of said lifestyle. The only thing that keeps us going is the promise of 4-5 weeks holiday, on which we drink to forget that we have to go back to our boring job within a few weeks, and have to wait a whole year for our next holiday.

Why is it so depressing you might wonder? Well, one of the biggest reasons (for me) is that in Sweden nobody talks to their neighbours/strangers, and if you feel brave and try anyway, the only thing you get back is a blank stare of confusion mixed with fear (because theres obviosly something wrong with anybody who dares to adress a stranger). So Sweden is a very lonely place to live since it's nearly impossible to make new friends. Kind of the same thing as it is for the farangs who live in the sticks in Los.

This could also explains the scuicides that occur amongs Swedes in Los, imagine your money ran out and you have to go back to the most depressing life imaginable... I ran out of money twice in Los while making desperate attempts to make money so I wouldn't have to go back to Sweden, and I can understand why some people choose the easy way out.

Rant over. I think I need to get back to Los. Anybody got a job for me.. laugh.png

My wife will find you plenty of gardening,perhaps you'd like to teach my mother-in-law swedish we are hoping to send her as warning gift parcel to Gotland to disabuse of the idea that it cannot get worse.That 'll be a turnip for the books as Boris pasternak wrote.

• Like 1

If you think that Swedes are drinkers you are right up to a point, but you have clearly not been introduced to a Fin!

Apologies for generalisations - obviously it does not apply to everyone

Edited by SantiSuk

Well I am from Denmark and when the swedish come here they drink, and drink and drink, can only imagine its much worse here :D

I was waiting for that one! Sad thing is that it's true... Us Swedes are very fond of our alcohol, I think it's because Sweden is so depressing to live in (atleast the larger cities). If you live in one of the larger cities of Sweden your life basically consists of working, watching tv, and go on a drinking binge on the weekend just to forget about the meaninglessness of said lifestyle. The only thing that keeps us going is the promise of 4-5 weeks holiday, on which we drink to forget that we have to go back to our boring job within a few weeks, and have to wait a whole year for our next holiday.

Why is it so depressing you might wonder? Well, one of the biggest reasons (for me) is that in Sweden nobody talks to their neighbours/strangers, and if you feel brave and try anyway, the only thing you get back is a blank stare of confusion mixed with fear (because theres obviosly something wrong with anybody who dares to adress a stranger). So Sweden is a very lonely place to live since it's nearly impossible to make new friends. Kind of the same thing as it is for the farangs who live in the sticks in Los.

This could also explains the scuicides that occur amongs Swedes in Los, imagine your money ran out and you have to go back to the most depressing life imaginable... I ran out of money twice in Los while making desperate attempts to make money so I wouldn't have to go back to Sweden, and I can understand why some people choose the easy way out.

Rant over. I think I need to get back to Los. Anybody got a job for me.. :lol:

TimeShare sales?

If you speak Swedish you could do it in LOS. Just remember the punter needs money though.

check out #11. Good luck.