Better Job Offer But Already Signed To Work! Help

Ok, this is my situation.

I've signed to work for a school but I was contacted yesterday about another job offer.

The new offer is for a job at a well known university and the money, perks and organisation is far better.

The problem i have is that my non imm b visa is with a government school I have signed for. Will I have to leave the country again and come back in on another tourist visa if I want the better job?

I have already had one overstay in my passport and I don't want another.

the second school should be able to arrange extension of stay.

I would be tempted to take the better job, just be subtle, and DO NOT let the first employer know where you are going.

it is not unusual for an old employer to try to sabotage your new position

i suppose the ultimate question is how many students are you screwing over by jumping ship?

and are you ok with that?

Edited by candypants
  • Like 1

I haven't even started yet but I signed a contract. In the contract it stated i have to give them one months notice before I leave.

I haven't told the other school where I'm going that could be dangerous!

I dont feel good at all about leaving them in the shit but i have to think whats best for me in the long run

I am confused what is the difference if you have to leave and come back. A little money but from what I gathered of your post it would be worth it.

Ask the other University if a one month waiting period would be OK with them give notice and leave after a month.

If they want you now leave now.

It would be better if you didn't start teaching and getting used to the class and they to you and then after a few weeks you go.

I haven't even started yet but I signed a contract. In the contract it stated i have to give them one months notice before I leave.

I dont feel good at all about leaving them in the shit but i have to think whats best for me in the long run

Difficult because you have signed a contract. If you don't give notice you will be in breach of contract. In UK this happens a lot, and most times organizations shrug it off, although they could legally employ a temp to cover the notice period and bill you for the difference in cost to them. It rarely happens.

Here - no idea, but they certainly won't like being buggered about by a farang and loosing face. Watch your back and good luck.

You said " I don't feel good at all about leaving them in the shit but i have to think whats best for me in the long run"...

That's the best think you've said so far.

Further points:

- You haven't started work for the first job, so if you resign without one months notice there's not much they can do about it. Pissed but not much they can do about it.

- Move quickly - accept the new job offer before you resign, make sure the second job offer is locked in / then very quickly tell the first employer that things have changed (just say it's 'personal circumstances') and you regret that you have to change your job acceptance. Don't let it become a long complex discussion - just keep saying 'private personal circumstances - don't want to discuss the details'. (Do it all quickly so that the first employer can move quickly to get another teacher and so that the second employer can't say 'sorry we offered the job to a couple of people and one person has already accepted'.)

- What you might want to consider is saying to the second employer 'I prefer to be honest and tell you that I did accept another job offer but I will resign today and I will accept your offer today, and ensure you explain why you prefer the second job offer. This all has negatives and positives:

- Positive - aiming to step by step get YOU into the best situation for your long-term future.

- Negative - there is the possibility that the second employer will see you as flighty / unreliable.

You are the only person who known the whole details, so you are the person who can assess the factors just above.

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I would be tempted to take the better job, just be subtle, and DO NOT let the first employer know where you are going.

i suppose the ultimate question is how many students are you screwing over by jumping ship?

Right on, When you give your word and agree thats it.

Right on, When you give your word and agree thats it.

The way you can figure if this is sound logic or not is take an extreme example. Sign a contract making 5 dollars and hour, then a once in a lifetime opportunity comes to you and you will be making a million a year. Pass on the job because you gave your word? Ok, talk all you want, but nobody in their right mind would pass it. So why is op's spot any different? It's not.

Edited by utalkin2me

Am in the same situation as you but on Non B extension, just signed at second school more money etc., and will have to leave the country as present visa is with school that I am leaving. They told me take the better higher paying job, no problem with us.

Your extension of stay is with current school - not visa. If you have a visa 90 day entry you can freely change to another school or do what you want. It is extensions of stay issued for specific employment that would require a new visa.