Strong Baht May Drag Down Thailand's Rice Exports

webfact

Rats in food is your idea of humour?

If you have a source for this you should quote it. If not you should not post it.

It was sarcasm which is quite acceptable on this forum.

By the way, Thais eat field rats & mice.

Diseases such as leptospirosis and typhus are transmitted through rat

urine, fleas, and mites. In 2001 in northeast Thailand, over 14,000

people were infected with leptospirosis resulting in about 360 deaths.

http://www.irri.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=7576〈=en

So you have just answered your own humourless reply haven't you rolleyes.gif I honestly wonder sometimes! Your attached thumbnail says it all. So just why were you demanding 'proof' from a poster when you have it yourself?

• Like 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's already lost it's place as number one a stronger baht isn't going to help by any means. All they do is talk about it, no real action taken. So they must not really care. I have followed the baht for years now. It slowed down last week since there was strong talk doing something about. Appreciation slowed, now again no action so yes the baht will hurt rice exports.

To be exact it will and is hurting the rice exports. Actually it is only a part of the over all problem. The rice scam has a lot to do with the price.

Diseases such as leptospirosis and typhus are transmitted through rat

urine, fleas, and mites. In 2001 in northeast Thailand, over 14,000

people were infected with leptospirosis resulting in about 360 deaths.

http://www.irri.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=7576〈=en

So you have just answered your own humourless reply haven't you rolleyes.gif I honestly wonder sometimes! Your attached thumbnail says it all. So just why were you demanding 'proof' from a poster when you have it yourself?

You neglected to include the post I was responding to, changing the meaning of my response.

Another poster wrote, "Thai rice should be sold at a premium, it has meat added ( rice n rodents ) full off protein whistling.gif"

I wrote, "If you have a source for this you should quote it. If not you should not post it."

Now that was nice to see. A Thai saying they want to see ASEAN as the hub and not Thailand as the hub.

Just maybe it’s beginning to dawn on some Thai’s that Thailand isn’t the center of the world.clap2.gif

She said the rice export volume should surge in Q3 and surpass the
combined Q1 and Q2 volumes due to depleting stocks among importing
countries like Japan, Iraq, Iran and varied African nations.

Let us not also forget: Vietnam, Pakistan, Cambodia, Burma & of course the good old USofA, with India being No1

jb1

Thai rice should be sold at a premium, it has meat added ( rice n rodents ) full off protein Posted Image

If you have a source for this you should quote it.  If not you should not post it.

I live near a large rice warehouse in Kanchanaburi. One of my wifes friends worked there until recently. He told us that the rice is in poor condition because it is damp and there are alot of rats running around. I have seen for myself the hessian bags full of rice piled on the floor because I cycle past 3 or 4 times a week.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am suprised that there is still 500 rice traders left in Thailand as the government has become the largest owner of rice and they hand pick the traders they want to sale the pledged rice. This government has destroyed rice industry in Thailand

Despite sluggish global demand and reduced competitiveness, the

Commerce Ministry is confident Thailand will be able to export 8.5

million tonnes of rice this year, generating US$5.7 billion (Bt169.4

billion) - 20 per cent higher than was achieved last year. ... http://www.thairiceexporters.or.th/rice_news_eng.htm

The OP of this very thread suggests six million tonnes may not be achieved.

Thai rice should be sold at a premium, it has meat added ( rice n rodents ) full off protein whistling.gif

If you have a source for this you should quote it. If not you should not post it.
I live near a large rice warehouse in Kanchanaburi. One of my wifes friends worked there until recently. He told us that the rice is in poor condition because it is damp and there are alot of rats running around. I have seen for myself the hessian bags full of rice piled on the floor because I cycle past 3 or 4 times a week.

By now it would normally be shipped, but alas rainy season is upon us. Anyone volunteer to rotate the 20mn tonne on stock bag by bag to let it lose some moisture?

It will deteriorate very fast due to rains.

Thai rice should be sold at a premium, it has meat added ( rice n rodents ) full off protein whistling.gif

I am currently trying to find out if anyone bearing the name 'Kelly' is involved in organizing the Thailand rice convention in Changmai. I can consider no other reason why anyone would reply in such a serious humourless fashion to the comment. Take your own advice, if a comment is made with humour and you cannot reply with humour, then 'you should not post it' !

Actually, Mr. Know-it-All Kelly, rats are indeed a popular source of food in Isaan - taken with our without rice. I helped make a film about hunting and cooking field rats for a US film company in Maha Sarakham a few years back - tastes a bit like chicken.

• Like 1

I expected a negative reply from you, difficult is it to speak out against a disaster on this scale.

The strong bht HAS not MAY-dragged down the sale/export of Thai rice.

Edited by ginjag

"She said the rice export volume should surge in Q3 and surpass the combined Q1 and Q2 volumes due to depleting stocks among importing countries like Japan, Iraq, Iran and varied African nations."

'should' under the assumption importing countries have no choice but to but high quality and price Thai rice. Wasn't there a report on a possible global high in rice production this year?

Actually, Mr. Know-it-All Kelly, rats are indeed a popular source of food in Isaan - taken with our without rice. I helped make a film about hunting and cooking field rats for a US film company in Maha Sarakham a few years back - tastes a bit like chicken.

Actually, Mr. Dru2 did you let the rats chew on your rice before you did? Did you let the rats poop on your rice before you ate it? Did you let the rat poop dry out and blow in the wind and inhale it while you ate? Hmmmm? Just checking. I don't think contaminated food is funny.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

"She said the rice export volume should surge in Q3 and surpass the combined Q1 and Q2 volumes due to depleting stocks among importing countries like Japan, Iraq, Iran and varied African nations."

'should' under the assumption importing countries have no choice but to but high quality and price Thai rice. Wasn't there a report on a possible global high in rice production this year?

Is she not aware that other countries export rice.

Some of the Cambodian rice is exported to Thailand as the Thai Government will pay more for it than any other country in the world. Of course they don't bother with customs and border crossings they have other unmanned routes they use.

At some point in the future, the government will have to end this program. When they do, and will all the rice in warehouses, where will the Thai rice farmer sell his crop? The farmer will have to compete with their own government to sell rice on the world market. Who can afford to sell cheapest? the farmer or the government with its huge stockpile? I hope these farmers are saving their windfall now so they have enough money to switch to another crop. Of course, if PTP is still in power, they can have another scheme to help farmers transition to another crop. This government has effectively killed forever the rice industry in Thailand.

• Like 1

"Kobsuk Iemsuree, chairwoman of the Thai Rice Exporters Association, said the rice export volume should surge in Q3 and surpass the combined Q1 and Q2 volumes due to depleting stocks among importing countries like Japan, Iraq, Iran and varied African nations."

"Food And Agricultural Organization of the United Nations says rice production outpacing consumption.
Stocks to increase in 2013 with output gains foreseen in East Asia
19 November 2012"
http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/164713/icode/

The expression wishful thinking comes to mind. Also the government could get some problems with their non-revolving fund which at THB 500 billion is depleted and is supposed to be revolving on sales of the (somewhat growing) stockpile.

It's nice to have a post agreed upon by our resident critic while another it rejected as "it's just rubl's".

Anyway, since some don't bother to read it seems, let's quote from the topic: Strong Baht may drag down Thailand's Rice Exports". Add to that the artificial high price the government is paying and would therefor also expect when selling, we have a double whammy, allegedly of course :-)

It's nice to have a post agreed upon by our resident critic while another it rejected as "it's just rubl's".

Anyway, since some don't bother to read it seems, let's quote from the topic: Strong Baht may drag down Thailand's Rice Exports". Add to that the artificial high price the government is paying and would therefor also expect when selling, we have a double whammy, allegedly of course :-)

They obviously messed up. Rice production at all time highs in some places no floods or droughts and the baht at record highs. You can bet somebody is going to take the fall.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Strong baht along with the weevils and rot in the rice stocks and the inflated price paid for rice imported from Burma, Laos and Cambodia.

Big T made a big risk free gamble thinking he could corner world rice and force up prices like the Hunt brothers did with silver. It was risk free to him because he would take a percentage of the profits through the ability to assign export contracts and any losses are absorbed by the tax payer. Heads I win, tails you lose.

Edited by Arkady

Strong baht along with the weevils and rot in the rice stocks and the inflated price paid for rice imported from Burma, Laos and Cambodia.

Big T made a big risk free gamble thinking he could corner world rice and force up prices like the Hunt brothers did with silver. It was risk free to him because he would take a percentage of the profits through the ability to assign export contracts and any losses are absorbed by the tax payer. Heads I win, tails you lose.

I don't believe you. Do you have any links to support your theory?

Thailand may not achieve this year’s export target of six million tonnes despite an earlier adjustment from the original target of 6.5 million tonnes, she said.

Who gives a rats ass about the farmers, as long as the (government friendly) bankers make money, everything is hanky dory.

Ummmm. The strong baht is increasing the prices of all agricultural exports not just rice. They are all largely priced in USD, so don't for one minute believe that rice is the only commodity this is effecting. The way they bought it from the farmer has screwed the pooch unfortunately, not the baht.

With Iran's Ahmadinejad to join the 'Thai Water' Summit and PM Yingluck doing the opening speech (in English rumour has it), can we use the opportunity to sell some rice as well? That's assuming Thaksin's meddling and inducing Iraq to buy a little bit doesn't interfere in good relations with Iran wink.png