Haircut Rule Relaxation Worries Some: Thai School Regulation

webfact

SCHOOL REGULATION
Haircut rule relaxation worries some

Supinda Na Mahachai
The Nation

30206342-01_big.JPG

Critics say kids will be distracted; others agree it's time to loosen up

BANGKOK: -- Parents and students yesterday voiced mixed opinions over the new ministerial regulations that allow all students to have a layered haircut. Some expressed concern that students might become preoccupied with their hairstyles and clothing.

"Students are supposed to focus on the most important thing - which is their education - rather than fashion and hairstyles. They should follow the old regulations that did not allow students to have long hair because if they wore long hair, they would look too attractive, and this poses a danger to them," said Netsurang Kongsittichot, mother of a Matthayom 1 (Grade 7) student at Satriwithaya School.

Meanwhile, Montitar Petudom, a Matthayom 5 (Grade 11) student at Satriwithaya School, said she and her father agreed with the new regulations because he thought that students should have more freedom these days, but that students must observe appropriate limits.

"I personally agree with the new regulations because I can have long hair, even though I have to tie my hair with a white ribbon," said Montitar.

Chamnong Chamchantha-rawong, director of Satriwithaya School, said the school would not oppose the new regulations although it had conserved short hair culture for a long time. The school committee and alumni association had discussed the issue with the school. It would allow students to wear their hair long, but would not allow them to get a layered haircut or colour their hair. Now, 50 per cent of the students have short hair.

Nit Ouytekkeng, chairman of Ban Khao Niwet Municipality School's committee in Ranong province, said the ministry didn't understand what really happens at schools. They only think about what happens in the outside world; they don't have a proper idea about whether Thai society is ready for such a change or not. What happens these days, Nit said, was that students were given many rights, but ignore the rules. This could cause a problem in the future, the school chairman said.

Chinnapat Bhumirat, secretary-general of the Office of the Basic Education Commission, said the new regulations provided general outlines on student haircuts. Schools, students and other stakeholders could make a decision together on which hairstyles were suitable to students.

"I don't think a layered hairstyle will be a problem. I am afraid that haircuts without layers are seen as abnormal when compared to hairstyles that people actually have," Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-17

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yingluck wants Thailand to become like the West, so "individuality" means more consumerism, eventually spurring more spending on haircuts, hairstyles, unique clothing. Maybe one day the dress code will end those ugly boring uniforms and ugly boring hair cuts. Not that it would improve the quality of any people, but aesthetically thailand has a lot of improvement ahead of it, Thai people in general that I see everywhere dress and look exactly boring, they are conformist it's really horrible. The fashion for women is sleazy for most of them, and for men it's just boring. No personality, no unique characteristics amongst Thai people let new hair fashion in let different clothing fashion come in, burn all those ugly ugly uniforms my God Thailand is boring make it change and improve in fashion.

Yingluck wants Thailand to become like the West, so "individuality" means more consumerism, eventually spurring more spending on haircuts, hairstyles, unique clothing. Maybe one day the dress code will end those ugly boring uniforms and ugly boring hair cuts. Not that it would improve the quality of any people, but aesthetically thailand has a lot of improvement ahead of it, Thai people in general that I see everywhere dress and look exactly boring, they are conformist it's really horrible. The fashion for women is sleazy for most of them, and for men it's just boring. No personality, no unique characteristics amongst Thai people let new hair fashion in let different clothing fashion come in, burn all those ugly ugly uniforms my God Thailand is boring make it change and improve in fashion.

My goodness.....wrong side of the bed day is it? blink.png

• Like 1

It is o.k. to have longer hair now.

But the government still dictates the hair style??

It must be "layered"!

Is that like the "shag" hair style of the 70s in the U.S?.

A gay looking layered hair cut or a butch looking crew cut...that's what I call freedom!

Old people worrying about the hair of young people - shocking...

And what about that Rock and Roll eh...... they'll be getting pregnant at 15 next.

Then I say go for it!

15 is better than getting pregnant at 12 like so many do now!

• Like 1

Old people worrying about the hair of young people - shocking...

And what about that Rock and Roll eh...... they'll be getting pregnant at 15 next.

Then I say go for it!

15 is better than getting pregnant at 12 like so many do now!

Well they can get married at 15!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Of all of the things that concern me about my daughters education, hairstyle and hair length has not even made it to the list of concerns, nor will it ever.

Indeed in the grand scheme of things, this really has to be most petty pathetic controlling issue I have ever seen. At my school we had a hair length rule for boys, above the collar. So everyone just basically ended up with ridiculous floppy hair. But the idea that conformity contributes so much to an education really makes you wonder how these teachers see the world. All they have to state is that hair should be neat. Enough said.

Conform and you will have a greater chance to be successful? What an utterly depressing thought.

• Like 1

There are many things wrong with the Thai education system.

Mostly in the education system, not the kids.

I was given a teaching job one year ago by the Head of the English Department. Just before I was due to be introduced to the school director the following day, I was asked if I finished my High School education in Scotland. I said yes, and then I was asked for proof of this, like a certificate. I said no, because the school I attended was demolished years ago, then told her where to stick her job and walked out. With a mentality like that, no wonder Thais are so poorly educated. Hairstyles, and suchlike are more important than education to them.