American Born Entrepreneur Becomes Billionaire In Thailand

Just looked at my bank account and it made me feel good. I am a millionaire in Thailand. Then my wife broke my bubble by telling me that our account has gone up. She said we now have about $37,000 in our account.

Why would anyone be interested in how much you have in the bank?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who has glanced at a Pizza Company menu will easily understand why the owner is a billionaire even though the restaurants are empty: at 400B for a pizza he only needs to sell a handful every day to achieve the title.

But all that doesnt stop the pizzas from being horrendously overpriced. The only mystery is what sort of idiot would actually pay that price for a bad pizza? I certainly wouldn't.

>Anyone who has glanced at a Pizza Company menu will easily understand why the owner is a billionaire even though the restaurants are empty: at 400B for a pizza he only needs to sell a handful every day to achieve the title.

But all that doesnt stop the pizzas from being horrendously overpriced. The only mystery is what sort of idiot would actually pay that price for a bad pizza? I certainly wouldn't.

Bill and another friend in my Rotary Club were drinking in a pub many years ago when Bill said he had the idea to open a Pizza Hut franchise in Bangkok. My friend said "You will never get Thai's to eat Pizza", and did not invest in the franchise. I remember my Thai girl friend in the UK at that time also saying "Who would pay B400 for cheese on toast?". Amazingly Bill has proven us wrong and Thais have been flocking to fast food restaurants ever since for cheese on toast. As a result of this, there has been an explosion of slimming clubs and fitness clubs so that Thais who were predominately slim through eating healthy Thai food when I first came to Thailand 30 years ago, can lose all that extra weight caused by eating American style fatty foods. Personally I never used to like pizza, but his Pizza Company recipes are quite tasty. I think the best Pizzas are by Scoozi Restaurants such as in Seacon Square. However I must watch my weight I do not want to pay B400 for a pizza and then B400 at fitness first to take off the extra 2kgs!

"...caused by eating American style fatty foods"

Aren't pizzas (meant to be) Italian style or did the Americans come up with them first?

Anyone who has glanced at a Pizza Company menu will easily understand why the owner is a billionaire even though the restaurants are empty: at 400B for a pizza he only needs to sell a handful every day to achieve the title.

>Anyone who has glanced at a Pizza Company menu will easily understand why the owner is a billionaire even though the restaurants are empty: at 400B for a pizza he only needs to sell a handful every day to achieve the title.

But all that doesnt stop the pizzas from being horrendously overpriced. The only mystery is what sort of idiot would actually pay that price for a bad pizza? I certainly wouldn&

#39;t.

Bill and another friend in my Rotary Club were drinking in a pub many years ago when Bill said he had the idea to open a Pizza Hut franchise in Bangkok. My friend said "You will never get Thai's to eat Pizza", and did not invest in the franchise. I remember my Thai girl friend in the UK at that time also saying "Who would pay B400 for cheese on toast?". Amazingly Bill has proven us wrong and Thais have been flocking to fast food restaurants ever since for cheese on toast. As a result of this, there has been an explosion of slimming clubs and fitness clubs so that Thais who were predominately slim through eating healthy Thai food when I first came to Thailand 30 years ago, can lose all that extra weight caused by eating American style fatty foods. Personally I never used to like pizza, but his Pizza Company recipes are quite tasty. I think the best Pizzas are by Scoozi Restaurants such as in Seacon Square. However I must watch my weight I do not want to pay B400 for a pizza and then B400 at fitness first to take off the extra 2kgs!

"...caused by eating American style fatty foods"

Aren't pizzas (meant to be) Italian style or did the Americans come up with them first?

Pizza started in Italy but perfected by Italian-Americans in Chicago. Deep-dish all the way! biggrin.png

Sadly no deep-dish pizza in Thailand.

Don't full yourself in to thinking that only American food is fatty. There is a lot of fatty Thai food sold by street vendors. Much of that stuff is cooked in palm oil and they often add sugar. That can't be healthy.

I know, I know it doesn't suit the 'everything is America's fault' hook-line. sleep.png

IS he the only one in history to lose bus US citizenship to become Thai ? I can't believe it !

It doesn't say he was. He is a "rare example" of an American making it big in Thailand, but he is amongst millions of foreigners, including other Americans, who have renounced their citizenship for other countries.

What's so special about US citizenship?

It's convenient if you don't want to be one of those who have to wake up at X am to wait in line to get a visa.

:-)

IS he the only one in history to lose bus US citizenship to become Thai ? I can't believe it !

It doesn't say he was. He is a "rare example" of an American making it big in Thailand, but he is amongst millions of foreigners, including other Americans, who have renounced their citizenship for other countries.

What's so special about US citizenship?

It's convenient if you don't want to be one of those who have to wake up at X am to wait in line to get a visa.

How do you figure that?

How do you figure that?

When was the last time you saw a US citizen waiting in line for their US visa?

How do you figure that?

When was the last time you saw a US citizen waiting in line for their US visa?

Obviously not, but see plenty waiting in line for a Thai visa...so i guess Thai passport must be better then US because then you don't have to wait in line for a Thai visa?

Obviously not, but see plenty waiting in line for a Thai visa...so i guess Thai passport must be better then US because then you don't have to wait in line for a Thai visa?

We are talking about the advantages of having US citizenship (US Passport), not comparing one citizenship to another.

Bill H. had both Thai and US citizenship and passports, so he didn't have to wait in line for a Thai visa or a US visa. Renouncing his US citizenship meant that he then had to wait in line for a US visa.

We are talking about the advantages of having US citizenship (US Passport), not comparing one citizenship to another.

Bill H. had both Thai and US citizenship and passports, so he didn't have to wait in line for a Thai visa or a US visa. Renouncing his US citizenship meant that he then had to wait in line for a US visa.

It's ridiculous to say that a certain citizenship has an "advantage" because then you don't need a visa for that country...no sh*t every citizenship comes with that "advantage"...

It's ridiculous to say that a certain citizenship has an "advantage" because then you don't need a visa for that country...no sh*t every citizenship comes with that "advantage"...

No one is saying that a particular citizenship has an advantage. Someone asked "What are the advantages of US citizenship". They were discussing the advantages of US citizenship, not the advantages over other citizenships.

The advantage of US citizenship is that you don't need to apply for a visa. The disadvantage is taxes. It has nothing to do with any other citizenships.

No one is saying that a particular citizenship has an advantage. Someone asked "What are the advantages of US citizenship". They were discussing the advantages of US citizenship, not the advantages over other citizenships.

The advantage of US citizenship is that you don't need to apply for a visa. The disadvantage is taxes. It has nothing to do with any other citizenships.

Ok, maybe next we can discuss the advantages of having 100baht.... the advantage, i think, would be that you could buy something worth 100baht...that's a pretty good advantage if you ask me.

Ok, maybe next we can discuss the advantages of having 100baht.... the advantage, i think, would be that you could buy something worth 100baht...that's a pretty good advantage if you ask me.

It's certainly better than not having 100 baht. I can't really think of any disadvantages of having 100 baht.

I'll bet he doesn't. My guess is that a billionaire and extremely prominent Thai citizen - with royal decorations and such - )and a former US citizen from a good background) doesn't stand in the sun or Wireless Road; more likely he is driven through the gates and warmly greeted by the Ambassador. (or the Ambassador sends someone round Bill's place to sort things out - as they discussed while playing golf the day before)...

(Yes, I know that's not really the point of your post)

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

How do you figure that?

edit: should have clarified. As in a visa to go to the US or o any country that affords US citizens far fewer hoops and hurdles to navigate.

Was never much a this/that is better person.... tend to opt. for 'both' or 'as many as possible.'

Edited by Heng

I'll bet he doesn't. My guess is that a billionaire and extremely prominent Thai citizen - with royal decorations and such - )and a former US citizen from a good background) doesn't stand in the sun or Wireless Road; more likely he is driven through the gates and warmly greeted by the Ambassador. (or the Ambassador sends someone round Bill's place to sort things out - as they discussed while playing golf the day before)...

(Yes, I know that's not really the point of your post)

I wouldn't be surprised if was issued a diplomatic Thai passport... judging from the large number of relatives of MP's with no real diplomatic roles who have those red passports. From what I hear, the MFA handles your visa requirements for you. (again no queuing required).

Yes, I'm always suggesting paid VIP lines at the supermarket, post office, on the roads, etc., too.

• Like 1

He can have a medal for making lots of money, but Swensens, Pizza Hut and Pizza Company taste like crap.

If he was truly visionary . . . .

• He would make lots and lots of money selling good quality stuff at all price points
  • Jobs at his enterprises would be coveted for what they are
  • The environment would be treated responsibility by his enterprises
  • Thai society could get a little push in the right direction using his wealth and economic influence (which may result in even more ways for him to make money)

. . . . . in my own opinion.

Edited by Trembly

He can have a medal for making lots of money, but Swensens, Pizza Hut and Pizza Company taste like crap.

• He would make lots and lots of money selling good quality stuff at all price points
  • Thai society could get a little push in the right direction using his wealth and economic influence (which may result in even more ways for him to make money)

Great post and I feel duly chastened.

However, not to backpedal but I don't use "visionary" as an expression of my approval of his products, his business practices or what he has wrought. I mean it simply in the objective sense - he had a vision of what he could do in Thailand and against the prevailing wisdom of both Thais and foreigners, he did it.

Point one: Agreed. Sort of - I'm not visionary enough to know if that's possible.

Point two: Absolutely. That would be pretty remarkable, I think.

Point three: I have no idea how much he falls short in that regard.

Point four: That is by far the thing that would most impress me and which make me a big admirer of him as a person rather than just as a successful businessman (with some personal strengths that I admire that lent to his success). Anything less than that is worthy of the most limited sort of praise as far as I'm concerned ("a very successful businessman" is, for me, limited praise).

Great post and I feel duly chastened.

However, not to backpedal but I don't use "visionary" as an expression of my approval of his products, his business practices or what he has wrought. I mean it simply in the objective sense - he had a vision of what he could do in Thailand and against the prevailing wisdom of both Thais and foreigners, he did it.

Point one: Agreed. Sort of - I'm not visionary enough to know if that's possible.

Point two: Absolutely. That would be pretty remarkable, I think.

Point three: I have no idea how much he falls short in that regard.

Point four: That is by far the thing that would most impress me and which make me a big admirer of him as a person rather than just as a successful businessman (with some personal strengths that I admire that lent to his success). Anything less than that is worthy of the most limited sort of praise as far as I'm concerned ("a very successful businessman" is, for me, limited praise).

In my mind there are two kinds of businessmen :

ones who think of everything through a cost / profit matrix and only care about getting away with as much profit as possible for as low cost as possible. This doesn't mean that they don't understand intangible qualities, they'd just rather focus on the tangibles (cheap Chinese electronics manufacturers being the acme example).

and

ones who invest some personal pride in the products or services that they sell and generally want to make as much profit as possible without compromising their employees while giving as many people as possible the best product possible for the given price. I believe it is called convergent thinking.

A huge amount of profit in many goods and services are accounted for by intangibles such as design, technique or service. It costs nothing to come up with a good idea and you only have to come up with it once. It is then up to you how much of an exclusive mark-up you would like to charge for it.

Blowing the competition away with game-changing standards has been done before at all strata of the consumer market and it is usually the originator who gets the benefit of the head start.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1