Terrazzo Floors - Why Not ?

I was visiting a Thai home (flat) recently and it was your typical dwelling, old, tired with, at best, basic maintenance over the years.

What did stand out was the simple ...

post-104736-0-33009000-1368758643_thumb.

It was in superb condition.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I consider the vast majority of the tiles used in Thailand are in gaudy, bright hues.

As a focal point, I love terrazzo floors and considering that labour is the largest part of the cost ... why don't we see more of it in Thailand?

Why do you think, those who build houses choose not to lay a terrazzo floor?

The apartment I rent in Bangkok has terrazzo floors but, I have to admit, I am not a particular fan. I suppose I associate them with institutional buildings and that has resulted in a bias against them. My primary and secondary schools had such floors and most hospitals in my area do as well. I wonder if many people have similar experiences and therefore share my aversion? I would much prefer wood though it certainly is more trouble regarding upkeep.

I also don't care for the tiles used in most dwellings here but better styles and quality of tiles are available locally, it is more a matter of my tastes not lining up with local tastes. What really drives me nuts are the higher end homes in Thailand that fail miserably in incorporating western architectural elements, particularly columns that toy with then veer away from the classical orders (don't know why something so inconsequential bothers me but it does).

For me, my brain associates terrazzo to outside areas, carport floors, sidewalks, commercial buildings, etc. I have terrazzo in areas around my home and really like it, but wouldn't consider it for the inside of my home. I have no doubt there are terrazzo designs used with sealers to make the surface glass smooth can be beautiful and easy to clean just like tile, but my brain still associates terrazzo with...(see above). Plus, there are so many types, options, colors, designs available with tile which are also easier to install than with terrazzo.

Terrazzo is a [traditionally] cementitious matrix of pigmented or white cement with aggregate stones, glass marbles, shells, etc., specially selected for their visual effect. It's all mixed together and applied over a seriously rigid substrate - else it cracks to pieces - with metal divider strips to define patterns. Nowadays, polymers can be mixed in for crack resistance and minimizing system thickness. These are nasty chemicals, the opposite of 'green,' not that that word means anything anymore.

Terrazzo is not for the faint of heart, as it's design is usually so visually striking that it often looks 'dated' or 'over the top' within a few years of installation, and patterns can hinder furniture layout flexibility in residential settings.

It's expensive, fussy, bloody messy work, and requires great expertise to get a good installation: dead flat & polished to the hilt. so, unless you've seen a number of actual installations by your proposed crew, don't even attempt it. It looks like hammered dog poop when botched.

I recommend against it for residential applications.

• Like 1

Terrazzo is a [traditionally] cementitious matrix of pigmented or white cement with aggregate stones, glass marbles, shells, etc., specially selected for their visual effect. It's all mixed together and applied over a seriously rigid substrate - else it cracks to pieces - with metal divider strips to define patterns. Nowadays, polymers can be mixed in for crack resistance and minimizing system thickness. These are nasty chemicals, the opposite of 'green,' not that that word means anything anymore.

Terrazzo is not for the faint of heart, as it's design is usually so visually striking that it often looks 'dated' or 'over the top' within a few years of installation, and patterns can hinder furniture layout flexibility in residential settings.

It's expensive, fussy, bloody messy work, and requires great expertise to get a good installation: dead flat & polished to the hilt. so, unless you've seen a number of actual installations by your proposed crew, don't even attempt it. It looks like hammered dog poop when botched.

Thanks bbradsby I just thought this was a little easier for HM to relate to a pictures of what terrazzo was:

post-10942-0-82512200-1369026898_thumb.p

Thanks bbradsby I just thought this was a little easier for HM to relate to a pictures of what terrazzo was:

attachicon.giffloor.png

OOOooo AAaahhh, very alluring stuff to be sure. Note that those installations are commercial, retail, hotels... clients with big budgets and lawyer-written, nuclear clause-ridden subcontracts. Now the TV DIY-ers will, like sailors to sirens, be drawn in to its beauty. I foresee a raft of TV terrazzo horrorshow threads coffee1.gif