Girlfriend Granted Uk Tourist Visa, Shes Going To Get Bored Whilst I'm At Work? .

my girlfriend will soon be arriving to the uk. I live in a village which is quite difficult for her to get public transport to places as she does not have a driving licence, she will be staying at my house alone and I will be working Monday to Friday 7-6pm everyday.

she will meet my family and others ,hopefully make friends with some thais from local area to make her feel more comfortable , I am home every evening and all weekend.

do you think she is going to get bored and find life very different here compared to Thailand?

anyone have any similar previous experiences ? (what did your partners do to keep away boredom?)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will Alice in Wonderland for the first few days.

How long is she visiting?

Has she travelled outside Thailand before?

What preparations have you made for her?

How long have you two been together?

Has she eaten Falang food before ... seriously?

Have you bought a Rice Cooker?

Do you know where the local Asian store is?

What part of Thailand does she hail from?

Is there a Thai Temple in your village/Town/City?

Here is a list of the Thai Radio Stations you can listen to on-line.

In typical Thai fashion, some of them work, some of the time.

But you should eventually find some music to sooth the beast your lovely lady.

• Like 1

With internet access there is Thai radio, TV, newspapers/sites. If you are in the sticks internet may be a bit slow. Facebook can occupy a terrifying amount of time if she has contacts there.

For a shortish visit I would go for a balance of local trips, family visits with a good dose of shopping! Both of you heading off to the nearest oriental food shop should empty your bank account effectively at the same time as offering a taste of home!

As with women the world over I am sure she will be perfectly able to keep herself entertained while you are out!

I have located the local asian store, we have fast Internet , I'm about 20 mins from big city's and 5 mins from lots small towns.

The visit is for one month with intentions of staying longer if she likes it here.

We have travelled outside Thailand but only in Asia. She eats some western food and works in tourism in a very touristy area of Thailand .

I have family members she can go out with whilst I work but not all the time.

What have your previous experiences been like??

Have your partners got bored of sitting around a house , in a new environment?

Some get bored, some find interests to occupy them.

Best if you take some time off work when she first arrives, to show her around.

If she gets lonely, find out where the local Thai temple is & drop her off there.

She will have loads of Thai friends in no time.

(They won't all be good friends, so tell her to keep the bad one's at arms length).

Yes, get her a rice cooker for sure.

Tesco's has all the 'Asian' stuff she will need. Can she cook? Not all Thai girls are wizards with a wok.

There's plenty lakorns available on specific Thai television apps for android devices and the internet will help keep her in touch with news and the like. I think Thai Rath (newspaper) has an app as well.

The weather should be getting better so maybe she can tootle around on a bike? Surprised that there aren't any local bus services available.

Maybe try and work out one day a week when you can finish work early and have her meet you in town. That may break up the Mon-Fri cabin fever she may get.

Don't be surprised if she gets 'homesick', some do, some don't, mine did and does.

For her it seems to kick in about 2 weeks after arriving on our sweet shores.

What is her English ability like?

Can she read more then can write?

Has she any interest in learning English at home?

The Australian Network has an on-line English Learning program - learning english

I would fairly disappointed if she came to your country, but through the medium of the Internet, surrounded herself in the Thai language through internet TV and newspapers and ignored your Culture entirely. If she did, that could be a window to your future.

What you do now can set the tone for the future ... I feel sorry Mr Bingo in post #7.

My lady, when she visits likes the Thai radio on for an hour or two while she does other things.

Food, more then anything else can be a deal breaker.

My lassie is a FarmGirl and while she's OK with being inside the 4 walls for part of the day, loved to get out and we'd walk to the Park ... just somewhere she could see the horizon.

Also try and find out what her expectations are. You could not comprehend the peer/family pressure the girls are under.

Everyone argues. When the tension comes from a Cultural Issue, give her lot's of space while she learns more about the expectations of our Culture. But if it's a clash of personalties, don't become a shrinking violet.

They area all different some take to it some don't mine did, again small country village but hourly bus to city so that was enough, she loved it others i saw hated it. Asian food shop to get the food seems a must. She did meet other Thai girls and soon new more about pensions and divorce law than me.

They area all different some take to it some don't mine did, again small country village but hourly bus to city so that was enough, she loved it others i saw hated it. Asian food shop to get the food seems a must. She did meet other Thai girls and soon new more about pensions and divorce law than me.

You two still together?

• Like 1

Some get bored, some find interests to occupy them.

Best if you take some time off work when she first arrives, to show her around.

If she gets lonely, find out where the local Thai temple is & drop her off there.

She will have loads of Thai friends in no time.

(They won't all be good friends, so tell her to keep the bad one's at arms length).

Take note of last sentence in this post as it is important. You probably already know many Thais love to gossip, sometimes very negatively about others in the group. Often their is an "older sister" who organises the card games for gambling and high interest loans and will be treated as the font of all knowledge.

BTW I have been married with a Thai for nearly 18 years, 15 years were in a Western country and observed many successful Thai/westerner relationships.

Best wishes...

• Like 1

My wife came to the UK for with a year visa.She managed about ten months,all in all she enjoyed it.She liked to sleep alot,watch tv.But the best thing which i advise you to do is connect to skype and i used to pay about 8 quid a month for unlimited calls to mobiles and phones any where in the world.That kept her busy calling all her friends and family.Be happy she is coming in the warm season.

Good luck and tell her to bring all her favourite foods in her suitcase.

As David has asked, how long is her holiday, two weeks, three?

Why on earth have you gone to all the expense and subjected her to this??

I don't see the sense in it myself as I can hardly see how it will make the relationship stronger.

Couldn't you have taken some of your holiday off to show her around?

She is most likely highly excited about coming to England but this will diminish rapidly after a couple of days and she will probably be sitting in the living room wondering what to do with herself and pondering as to why she is here, a majority of the time.

I hope she likes a drink or two as the village pub will possibly be the best time of her visit (if she does drink) and make sure you have a varied and packed weekend schedule for her!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

I don't know why this aspect should be worrying, she is a tourist type visitor who joins her boyfriend in England for a given period, and is living free of charge in his home.

The boyfriend who has to work Monday to Friday leaves the house at 7 AM and gets back at 6 PM thus they are together in the evenings, in addition they are entirely together during the weekend.

When he goes to work in the morning at 7 AM she might still stay in bed for 1 or 2 hours, then get up, take her shower, make her breakfast, dress herself adequately, then take the local bus to any nearby towns and cities, carry on doing window shopping, visit the major local supermarkets, visit a cinema to see some favorite movies, and on those occasions she might meet some Thai girls living in the region.

With those activities her live will not be dull at all, on the contrary it will be very interesting for her and the boyfriend will have nothing to worry about, should he ask to marry her she is no doubt aware that she has to live in England ... she will agree, no problems about those posted matters, but should she not wish to actually marry her current boyfriend then the answer will of course be negative, but she will have enjoyed her visit to England.

Why doesn't she get a Thai driving license before she goes& use that one in England?

She can not fail it for goodness sake & she can't loose points when she breaks all the rules as she wont have a clue anyway !!

The UK traffic violation fines will probably be cheaper than getting a taxi everywhere.

Food for thought.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Thais are rarely bored when there is a crowd of them.

Often depends on the quality of the 'crowd'. I have seen boredom resulting in gambling, which has resulted in debt, which has resulted in individuals turning to prostitution to pay back said debt. Second nature in many cases.

I think your GF will be bored senseless and may well feel disorientated and isolated. She may, or may not, be aware that England does not have noodle stalls on every corner and somtam may be hard to get hold of. I guess she will pack a good view packets of Mama.

Frankly, I am amazed that you have not put more thought into planning this visit. Simplistically, you are hiking your GF 10,000 km across the globe and then clearing off to work for 11 hours a day - that is really supportive!

You should AT LEAST have taken 1-2 weeks off work to settle her in and help her to meet the sort of people she will be sharing her life with in future.

What do YOU expect your GF to do all day ?.

Also, consider a role reversal - what if you joined her in Thailand for a month and she spent 11 hours a day at work - what would you do ?

Your GF may be gregarious, adventurous and fluent in English (as a result of her career in 'tourism') in which case she may settle easily. i hope so.

Edited by cardholder
  • Like 2

Thais are rarely bored when there is a crowd of them.

Often depends on the quality of the 'crowd'. I have seen boredom resulting in gambling, which has resulted in debt, which has resulted in individuals turning to prostitution to pay back said debt. Second nature in many cases.

I think your GF will be bored senseless and may well feel disorientated and isolated. She may, or may not, be aware that England does not have noodle stalls on every corner and somtam may be hard to get hold of. I guess she will pack a good view packets of Mama.

Frankly, I am amazed that you have not put more thought into planning this visit. Simplistically, you are hiking your GF 10,000 km across the globe and then clearing off to work for 11 hours a day - that is really supportive!

You should AT LEAST have taken 1-2 weeks off work to settle her in and help her to meet the sort of people she will be sharing her life with in future.

What do YOU expect your GF to do all day ?.

Also, consider a role reversal - what if you joined her in Thailand for a month and she spent 11 hours a day at work - what would you do ?

Your GF may be gregarious, adventurous and fluent in English (as a result of her career in 'tourism') in which case she may settle easily. i hope so.

We are all different.

Personally there is nothing I would like more than if my TGF paid for me to fly to Thailand, paid for everything when I was there & left me alone while she spent 11 hours a day at work.

• Like 1

Im def going to sort skype package out. i presume you can call thai mobiles on this??

Cardholder - I just returned from 4 months in Thailand staying at hers whilst she worked.

I will be taking the first week of her visit off. I live with my parents and my sister and her kids live local who don't work full time. So they can go out with her some days whilst I'm working.

• Like 2

Hi ,

Ive gone threw this and i would say there is a good chance she will get lonely as my wife did but there is things you can do to help.

Get her a Lebarra mobile sim card , calls to thai mobile are 6 p min or landline 3 p a min , you can set auto top up for her online.

Try and arrange some of your friends or family to visit threw the day when your at work and perhaps take her to the local shops or for a bite to eat , it helps break up the day.

Stock up on plenty of thai cooking essentials and other foods, my wife missed the food in a big way.

Try and have things planned for the weekends to get you out the house.

Is there any places she could go and do voluntary work ?

We are all different.

Personally there is nothing I would like more than if my TGF paid for me to fly to Thailand, paid for everything when I was there & left me alone while she spent 11 hours a day at work.

... agreed, we are all different.

BTW, may I ask, have you stayed with your gf in Thailand in a village for a month, alone, while she worked 11 hours a day?

If, on the off chance you have ... what did you do all day as that might give some valuable advice to the OP.

... being a Farmers son ... just trying to sort the wheat from the chaff ... biggrin.png

• Like 1

Why doesn't she get a Thai driving license before she goes& use that one in England?

She can not fail it for goodness sake & she can't loose points when she breaks all the rules as she wont have a clue anyway !!

The UK traffic violation fines will probably be cheaper than getting a taxi everywhere.

Food for thought.

Further food for thought is that any traffic violations on a Thai licence will not be able to be dealt with via points and/or a fixed penalty (because the licence holder isn't on the DVLA database and they can't send the points/penalty notice to their home address). Therefore they will be dealt with by the courts. That, in turn, will have to be declared on any future visa applications, which could result in a refusal.

Back to the original question.

My wife amused herself quite well when I was at work. She was here for three months on her second visit , so me taking all of that time off was out of the question (first one was for a month and I did take the time off). She slept, went shopping, chatted on facebook and watched Thai TV (pretty much what she does at home!) We enjoyed our evenings together, did things on my days off out of the house. It was fine. Probably a bit easier for her seeing as I live in London, but the principles are the same.

She liked to just nip out for walks, feed the birds in the park, potter around the house and the garden, chat with her mates online, cook, clean, do the washing etc. Get on the wrong bus and end up miles away from home, that sort of thing :)

• Like 2

On the phoning Thailand front, try http://www.dialaround.co.uk/rates.php#t .No sign up and calls from a BT landline to a Thai mobile cost half a pence a minute (plus I think an 11p connection charge). Cheap as chips.

If she has friends or family with smartphones, mobile apps like Viber are free but seem to eat through your data and not always that clear. Don't know about Skype in that respect.

Im def going to sort skype package out. i presume you can call thai mobiles on this??

Cardholder - I just returned from 4 months in Thailand staying at hers whilst she worked.

I will be taking the first week of her visit off. I live with my parents and my sister and her kids live local who don't work full time. So they can go out with her some days whilst I'm working.

Best this you can do is get Skype, even now my wife uses this every day to talk to friends and family. Another idea would be to download a few Thai movies with English subtitles. Again my wife loved this and also helped her with improving her English before we could enrol her in English Classes.

The month will fly by

Just enjoy yourselves and do not worry