Where Has All The Corned Beef Gone

lampard10

No Corned Beef in Thailand so it seems. Not a trace in any Supermarket up and down the land. What has happened. Have they connected it to Mad Cow? Or maybe Chicken Flu?

I bought some today in Big C at Nakhon Sawan and I have also bought it at Lotus Tesco and Villa in BKK. The brand bought was "Hormel" but there is another brand whose name I have forgotten.

It tastes nice with mashed potato and processed peas (I actually like cold processed peas straight from the tin).

Maybe it's just leftover stock....................Big C in Surin say they can't get it, and the same thing in Friendship Pattaya, Best and Foodland Pattaya. And that is all brands.

Next time you go to Big C tell them that it is available in their stores in Bangkok and Nakhon Sawan and would he please order it, if not you will contact Big C head office in BKK and get them to kick his ass.

canned corned beef stew beuutiful, dont forget to take it out the can first :o

I wondered why mine was a bit crunchy now and again.

You could always boil and mash some spuds, carrots and cabbage, fry up some onions and a bit of garlic if you like it, then fry it all up with the corned beef and close your eyes to the calories

If you have an old frying pan that the stuf sticks to the bottom of the pan, that is the best part.

:D:D

canned corned beef stew beuutiful, dont forget to take it out the can first :o

You could always boil and mash some spuds, carrots and cabbage, fry up some onions and a bit of garlic if you like it, then fry it all up with the corned beef and close your eyes to the calories

If you have an old frying pan that the stuf sticks to the bottom of the pan, that is the best part.

That's Bubble and Sqeak.. aka Fry Up ! Usually made from the left over veg from a Sunday Roast, or Xmas dinner of course ! (minus the corned beef) :D

totster :D

I don't think much of corned beef, corned beef hash is delish!

Is corned beef hash just an American thing? :o

No Corned Beef Hash is English.

Ingrediants: A tin of Tomatoes, tin of Mushrooms, tin of Corned Beef, tin of Baked Beans, onions, cubed Potatoes, salt & pepper, Worcester sauce, Demi-brown sauce mix.

Mix the Demi-brown to make a not too thick sauce. Crush the tomatoes and add(you can use fresh diced tomatoes, but I don't find them as tasty)put in salt and pepper, worcester sauce to taste. add the tin of Corned Beef, cut into small sqares,add the onions( and garlic), add baked beans, mushrooms. Simmer for 20 mins. Do not stir. Add potatoes, cook for further 5 mins. Voila. Corned Beef hash. My customers love it. I did serve it to an American Lady once, and she said " That's not Corned Beef Hash" Obviously different over there. The Northern Germans do their own version as well, called Labskaus.

Who don't love the stuff

I don't love the stuff! In fact I think it tasted like poo! Still, each to their own!

I'm with you suegha- not high on my list of things to eat either. Corned beef always seemed to resemble and smell like dog food to me. But like you say- to each their own.........

Above (by Lampard10) we got the 'English' recipe for corn beef hash. 'What's the American' version? Then we can compare and contrast...

Ingrediants: A tin of Tomatoes, tin of Mushrooms, tin of Corned Beef, tin of Baked Beans, onions, cubed Potatoes, salt & pepper, Worcester sauce, Demi-brown sauce mix.

Mix the Demi-brown to make a not too thick sauce. Crush the tomatoes and add(you can use fresh diced tomatoes, but I don't find them as tasty)put in salt and pepper, worcester sauce to taste. add the tin of Corned Beef, cut into small sqares,add the onions( and garlic), add baked beans, mushrooms. Simmer for 20 mins. Do not stir. Add potatoes, cook for further 5 mins. Voila. Corned Beef hash. My customers love it. I did serve it to an American Lady once, and she said " That's not Corned Beef Hash" Obviously different over there. The Northern Germans do their own version as well, called Labskaus.

As soon as I saw the baked beans , I knew that it was different from ours.

Sounds really good though (I am on a diet eating nothing but fruits and vegetables)!

As soon as I saw the baked beans , I knew that it was different from ours.

Sounds really good though (I am on a diet eating nothing but fruits and vegetables)!

My Mum used to make us corned beef hash in England over 50 years ago. In those days it just consisted of mashed potatoes, mixed in with corned beef and cooked for a few minutes in a large open pan for a few minutes until it binded together. It was a cheap meal in those days for us poor folk, but we all loved it. It's been one of the few meals I've cooked throughout my life, and even though I've been given some strange looks by 'non corned beef hash believers', I've never yet had a complaint on eating the finished product.

My ex Thai wife nearly laughed me out of the kitchen when I first cooked it for her and my daughters but once she got a taste for it, she incorporated much of the stuff listed in the recipe above. Brown sauce was a must - she used HP. We didn't mix in the beans, just added them as a side dish, and no tomatoes - otherwise the same. Delicious - haven't tried it in years - must show the new wife what its all about. :D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!

SPAM & BRANSTON PICKLE SANDWICHES. :D

HEAVEN! :o

canned corned beef stew beuutiful, dont forget to take it out the can first :D

That's Bubble and Sqeak.. aka Fry Up ! Usually made from the left over veg from a Sunday Roast, or Xmas dinner of course ! (minus the corned beef) :D

I don't have a cooker and as I am the only farang for about 15km in any direction (apart from the Frog git who lives near the village) there is no Sunday roast ( my Thai family wouldn't eat it).

A couple of months ago I went to see RC and took a leg of lamb and he cooked a wonderful roast lamb dinner but then I had to come back home to my wifes very good Thai cooking using either the 2 burner gas griller or the charcoal burner.

I must see RC again next month as I have started drooling with the thought of it. :o

canned corned beef stew beuutiful, dont forget to take it out the can first :D

I don't have a cooker and as I am the only farang for about 15km in any direction (apart from the Frog git who lives near the village) there is no Sunday roast ( my Thai family wouldn't eat it).

A couple of months ago I went to see RC and took a leg of lamb and he cooked a wonderful roast lamb dinner but then I had to come back home to my wifes very good Thai cooking using either the 2 burner gas griller or the charcoal burner.

I must see RC again next month as I have started drooling with the thought of it. :D

Where are you guys located? A lamb roast is worth a trip! :o

That brings back memories. Used to love the brown/black burnt bits. All the better with a few dollops of "Chop" sauce.

That brings back memories. Used to love the brown/black burnt bits. All the better with a few dollops of "Chop" sauce.

...and as I said in that simple recepies thread...a pan is made from cast iron and nothing else! Taste rules! :o

I too am a fan of corned beef and here is an interesting snippet. In the early 90's when I was on a 9 month stint in Brazil, I was bewildered that in the worlds biggest producer of corned beef, it could not be purchased there. I was told that only the unsellable cuts of meat were used to produce the stuff in cans, and the locals would not hear of eating such left overs !

I also have noticed the apparent lack of supply over the last couple of years here in Thailand BUT if you have anyone going to Manila its readily available on supermarkets shelves there and a lot cheaper than here also.

I too am a fan of corned beef and here is an interesting snippet. In the early 90's when I was on a 9 month stint in Brazil, I was bewildered that in the worlds biggest producer of corned beef, it could not be purchased there. I was told that only the unsellable cuts of meat were used to produce the stuff in cans, and the locals would not hear of eating such left overs !

I also have noticed the apparent lack of supply over the last couple of years here in Thailand BUT if you have anyone going to Manila its readily available on supermarkets shelves there and a lot cheaper than here also.

The actual Corned Beef center is in Uruguay, in the town of Fray Bentos on the River Plate. Can you all remember the original brand you could buy in UK years ago. That was called Fray Bentos.

Edited by lampard10

I must see RC again next month as I have started drooling with the thought of it.

You bring the lamb mate and I'll be happy to cook the dinner :o
Where are you guys located? A lamb roast is worth a trip!
I'm In Nakorn Sawan and Bill is in Kampengpet...anyone bringing meat is always welcome :D

RC

I must see RC again next month as I have started drooling with the thought of it.

I'm In Nakorn Sawan and Bill is in Kampengpet...anyone bringing meat is always welcome :D

RC

Oy you...........................piss off hijacking my Corned Beef thread and turning into a lamb thread :D

RC

wow...that's a bit far....what about you bring the lamb to Pattaya and I do the cooking?