Moving To Thailand

Hi, my partner and I will be coming to Thailand on holiday in September with a view to staying and renting a Condo if we like it.

Can we simply just decide to stay and get visa's and work permits whilst we are there?

If yes what is the best or easiest way of doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get foreigners a work permit the bar would have to employ 4 thais per foreigner, also most work is illegal for foreigners to do. Work without a work permit is a hefty fine and sent home (worst case scenario)

Suggest you look at what jobs foreigners can do and cannot do, am sure someone will post a link to the list.

Edited by beano2274

As much as I love Thailand, the difficulty in accessibility to just go and live there is my biggest flaw with the country! From the sounds of it OP you thought it was like Australia or something, it's far from it! Best of luck and if you get something keep us posted!

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh really.. :-( so what would be a good work option?

My background is all I.T. My partner is a shop manager.

Adam

If you have college degrees, you could take a course in teaching English as a foreign language, and probably get a job as an English teacher for about 30,000 baht per month. That's not much money unless both of you do it, especially not for two people. It would be hard for two people (Westerners) to live on 30,000 baht. That's about $1000 US per month. It would require watching money very closely for one person, and I don't know if two could do it. I wouldn't want to try. 60,000 with two teaching is very doable but far from luxurious. Teachers making 30k do survive so it can be done.

My last long term trip I spent about US$35,000 just getting there and getting set up. That was airline, all assorted visa costs, a car, a scooter, condo rent and deposits, some things I needed for the apartment like small appliances, clothing, and so on. Then I spent much more than 60k pm living, but I lived quite well and did anything I wanted. I could have really tightened my belt and gotten by on 35k, but the car would have had to go and I wouldn't have enjoyed myself much.

Others are right. You can't work at most jobs because they are protected for Thais only.

• Like 1

I'm 34, my partner will be 35 when we get there.

We have looked a condos for rent and seem to only cost 10,000 baht per month. We were hoping that another 10,000 per month would be enough for food and water. By the sounds of it so far I get the impressive this isn't enough?

Adam

I lived well on 29000baht per month as a teacher. Depends on you, the food that you eat, health etc.

The money that you have will eventually run out and you will need work, but getting it is gonna be the problem.

Also depends on where you are and the condos amenities.

Think you made a mistake about the cars and scooters, I am sure you meant to say "we wouldn't"

Edited by beano2274

I think 10k baht for food is for one person. I don't see how two could eat on that. I think some Thais do but I don't think it would be healthy or good.

Cambodia is an option. The visa is much easier (get it on arrival for about US$300 each for a year) and you can work.

I know Westerners who do work in bars and it's legal. My experience in Cambodia is that much more English is spoken. There are a lot of Western owned restaurants and bars and they could hire you. Just be aware that wages are low in Cambodia as well as Thailand. The average Cambodian makes only about $100 a month, no kidding. But Westerners with Western skills do OK. You could work IT there too. You might even teach it.

Teaching English there is much easier because you can get by without a college degree if you take that course and get the cert. Think $8 an hour and up. People with actual college teaching credentials make a lot more in both Thailand and Cambodia, and in Cambodia often wind up managing a school or schools. I know one guy who makes US$5k per month, but he has a PHD in education and was a college administrator in the US.

Just realize you are entering a third world of poverty and you aren't likely to do a lot better than survive. Most people are in Thailand or Cambodia because they want to be. Some already have their money such as savings and pension. A few own a successful business. Some younger people are doing well because they work for multi-national corporations and were transferred in. Some work offshore - some in the oil industry.

I wouldn't want to move to either as a young person with no money and no good career going.

The OP and partner could stay in Thailand for years using the education visa, studying Thai for only four hours per week. However, they wouldn't be able to legally work on that.

Teaching English in Thailand having bachelors degrees would make it much easier to potentially do legal work.

Thailand is not a liberal country when it comes to illegal working and illegal staying without visas.

Probably another topic, but based on what the OP has said so far it doesn't really sound like they are interested in English teaching. I still feel Thailand probably isn't a good fit for such younger people without unusual skills who need to work (excepting English teaching). What other countries other than possibly Cambodia in the world might be? One idea I would have is Argentina, but only because it attracts a lot of younger expats and the penalties for overstaying tourist visas are almost nothing, certainly not jail, and you can come right back after paying the small fine.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh really.. :-( so what would be a good work option?

My background is all I.T. My partner is a shop manager.

Adam

OP: What IT vendor certification/training do you have? If from a mainstram vendor contact their SE Asia regional H.O or Thailand country manager. If you have in demand skills they may have project contract work either directly or through one of their local partners. Best to see if you can obtain a contract offshore. Your partner will have challenges in obtaining work, and as said likely to be in teaching, so probably would be best for her to obtain teaching qualifications prior to coming to Thailand.

Unless the two of you are just seeking an adventure and prepared to go with the flow, I suggest you and partner take some holiday leave & see if your comfortable here prior to making a commitment.

Best of luck...

Perhaps he should figure in more than the cost of water and food however. At 38c it is going to be very uncomfortable in a condo without air conditioning. 10k is not going to pay for much electric or medical or entertainment or clothing or soap or security. Indeed if not eating out food it very likely to cost more than in the UK.

• Like 1

Why do you want to come to Thailand for a holiday and stay on ?

What are your reasons for choosing Thailand and what do you want to achieve ?

Where have you seen condos for 10k p.m. - Bangkok, Pattaya, the boonies ?

Is Thai visa this desperate for "footfall"

Come again? coffee1.gif

"is thai visa this desperate for footfall". I am suggesting anyone with an ounce of sence would know they can not just walk into another country to live and am wondering if this is a geniune query.

There are lots of good comments about the not so easy prospects of simply moving to Thailand. It may seem an attractive alternative to the rat race back home, especially in the current economic climate, but it is not easy for foreigners.

Please don't consider the "teacher" route unless you have appropriate qualifications and experience. Too many backpackers and others used to see that as an easy way of topping up the finances. Thailand's got wise to that and the standards are much higher now. Teaching in schools is different from teaching in the private language schools. Universities are different again. Unless you have had teaching or lecturing experience you may get an awful shock!

Salaries are very variable. I know an experienced English school teacher, who is highly regarded and earns THB 50k per month. An American friend teaches English to undergraduates at a private university and earns 28k. PhD's can earn well over 100k. Many Thai teachers I know earn between 10-15k per month and some Filipinos lower. These are people with bachelors, masters and teaching experience.

Many Thais have to live on less than 10k a month, let alone just for food. But, do you really want that sort of lifestyle?

We are a family of 4 and have lived in several countries. If you want a reasonable Western type existence, then Thailand is not the cheapest. A small less fashionable condo, eating street food etc is the alternative.

Come and have a close look before you jump into anything, and look at some of the alternative suggestions on here like Cambodia.

Edited by Baerboxer

If you love westerners, Phuket; if you love noise and partying, Chiang Mai; if you love crowds and pollution, Bangkok; if you want to save money and don't mind being bored out of your mind, Chiang Rai; if you love tourists--especially Russians, who have no concept of deodorant and love to hang with the convalescent crowd, Koh Chang. If you love yourself, go elsewhere.

If I could tell you I'd be living there full time myself. Teaching is one of the few options if you are suitably qualified.

Applicants must have a pulse. I don't see many stiffs in the profession...actually, I do.