Briton Stabbed To Death By His Thai Father-in-law

george

Briton stabbed to death by his Thai father-in-law

post-128-1143259995_thumb.jpg

Mark Jones, 42, with his son

NAKORN RATCHASIMA: -- A THAI man has been charged with murder after his son-in-law from Essex was stabbed to death, police have revealed.

Mark Jones, 42, from Colchester, was stabbed twice in the back on Wednesday night, Thai police said.

Police Major Jaran Pankratok said Mr Jones had been with his Thai wife Saichai Chantee for about two years and the couple had a one-year-old son.

He would not give details of the case, saying only that it was a "family matter" that involved "marital problems".

The stabbing happened at Son Chantee's home in Pak Chong district, Nakorn Ratchasima province, 75 miles north east of Bangkok, he said.

Another police officer said that Mr Jones's father-in-law has been charged with premeditated murder and released on bail.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said that Mr Jones was originally from Colchester but had been living in Thailand for around two years.

She said his next of kin had been informed and a family liaison officer had been appointed.

She said it was standard practice that police had a maximum of 84 days to submit papers to the public prosecutor.

Ian Proud, a spokesman for the British Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, said: "Obviously the matter is now under investigation but we are aware of the situation.

"I know consular staff have been working with the Foreign Office in London since receiving notification of the matter.

"As this is still the subject of an investigation it would be inappropriate to say more.”

Last night a spokeswoman for Essex Police said she was unable to reveal any further details at this time but confirmed a family liaison officer was supporting Mr Jones' grieving family who still lived in the Colchester area.

--eadt.co.uk 2006-03-24

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read he was out on bail.

You can bet your life if it was the poor English guy who had murdered his father-in-law he would not be walking around free at the moment.

Disgusting!!!

You can bet your life if it was the poor English guy who had murdered his father-in-law he would not be walking around free at the moment.

Disgusting!!!

Rubbish. Anyone can apply for bail who has enough assests or cash, or who finds a bail bondsman who guarantees for the set bail. It is up to the court to grant or refuse bail, considering the flight risk of course.

Isn't letting people accused of murder walk the streets the next day the norm here? Not just this case, but the two cleaners who murdered the guy that destroyed the Erawan statue last week (and how would two lowly cleaners come up with bail money of 50,000+?). And there was the policeman that murdered two British tourists a coupe of years ago before fleeing the scene for a few weeks.

OJ Simpson got bail after a high speed chase.

bail is allowed when there is no danger of the suspect fleeing the jurisdiction

My hunch is that the father is covering up for the real perpertrator

round up the usual suspects

motives

jealousy or money

This could ahppen anywhere

A friend of mine had gotten an offer to play NFL football in the States. His gringo girlfriend went postal and stabbed him in the chest, thus ending his brief career in the big leagues.

She got bail too.

Edited by pascharay

OJ Simpson got bail after a high speed chase.

bail is allowed when there is no danger of the suspect fleeing the jurisdiction

My hunch is that the father is covering up for the real perpertrator

round up the usual suspects

motives

jealousy or money

This could ahppen anywhere

A friend of mine had gotten an offer to play NFL football in the States. His gringo girlfriend went postal and stabbed him in the chest, thus ending his brief career in the big leagues.

She got bail too.

Seems a very sad case. Still this sort of thing happens everywhere not just in Thailand.

A sad story indeed.

Did he, by any chance, buy a house and put it in the wife's name?

Sounds reminiscent of a similar story about 15 years where mother-in-law had a farang husband murdered..............

TIT indeed if farang stabs Thai he'll be in jail no bail, if vice versa Thai is walking.... sure he is not a danger to society he only kill a farang! and who cares about farang...

it's a pity this kind of stories keep coming up in the country of SMILES more often

To repeat a post on another forum that was directed here -

The story in the Thai Media is that the guy was a drunk and when he was drunk he beat his wife very badly.

The Guy was very drunk and was strangling his wife and the Father-in-law could not pull him off so he grabbed a knife and stabbed him to save his daughters life - a bit too early for the Media to be making it up at the monent so maybe it's true and maybe it's not.

If the guy was a nasty drunk and beat her badly she will have scars after 2 years of it and these would go a long way in mitigation for the Father-in-Law, what would you have done in the same place if the story is true?

Disgusting!!!

Rubbish. Anyone can apply for bail who has enough assests or cash, or who finds a bail bondsman who guarantees for the set bail. It is up to the court to grant or refuse bail, considering the flight risk of course.

You may be looking at bail through US eyes

From a British point of view there is another factor taken into account when bail is being considered by a magistrate or Judge - the seriousness of the offence.

It used to be in Britain that there were three things to consider in a bail application (hope i have this right - anybody?)

1) Likliehood of flight

2) Seriousness of the offence

3) Likliehood of offending again while on bail

If Brits are looking at this case it may well be with this in mind and if the suspect has a case to answer ie it needs deciding in court according to evidence, a crime of this magnitude would not attract bail unless in very rare cases - I can not think of an accused murderer on bail in the UK but some might.

The closest I can think of is a Soldier confined to barracks

But alas this needs a Thai view on bail and where farangs are murdered or the accused has connections they seem to be free.

Does the fact a suspect get bail not give an indication to mind they are going to walk away at the end of the trial - is that not a key point in American trials from the Defence - "Why did he even get bail if he is guilty" - trying to plant those seeds of doubt.

Edited by Prakanong2005

This sort of thing happens more than once a week in pattaya, but the topics are usually shepherded off to the local forums and not followed up on. Its a bit difficult to class two stab wounds to the back as natural causes/suicide tho :o

What would you have done in the same place if the story is true?

Stopped it long before 2 years.

Seems a little stange that when the father eventually decided to do something it was when the victim was "attempting to murder his daugther". Whats he been doing for the previous two years? Sitting there watching because the attacks havnt been life threatening? :o

WoW this is bad bad baddddddddd.... How could someone do such thing!!!!

The bail shouldn't be introduced to any country, I reckon. People should serve their sectences for what they committed. WHY BAIL?!!!!? Got out then repeat their actions when suit them? hel_l !!!

I feel so sorry for the victims. :o

A sad story indeed.

Did he, by any chance, buy a house and put it in the wife's name?..........

Oooh! How could you think such a thing! :o

Whatever the truth of the matter the victims name will be blackened in court as part of the defence.

Lets just say the guy did not beat his wife - The victim might have had someone to speak up for them in another jurisdiction but I doubt he wil get that here.

If he was beating his wife in the circumstances mentioned above then there are mitigating circumstances but any lawyer for the FiL worht his 30 Baht would start that defence with the media roght now!

So beware..! White men BEWARE!!!

IF you want a Thai wife you need to be careful of your selective family because when you marry someone it means you marry a whole family. Unlike western world. :D

It is not just being with someone you love but the whole culture and it is even more complex when you have to live in Thailand. :o:D

The bail shouldn't be introduced to any country, I reckon. People should serve their sectences for what they committed. WHY BAIL?!!!!? Got out then repeat their actions when suit them? hel_l !!!

In fact bail is pretty much standard for murder in Thailand. Whilst I couldn't get bail on a visa rap, a thai who told me proudly how he shot his neighbour through the head was out on bail in no time.

It even gets better when you have the money, because than the case may only reach the court after the timelimit. Better get used to that.

For the victims families that is indeed very sad. Amongst thais quite often police will direct for some financial compensation to be paid, but justice it ain't.

In fact bail is pretty much standard for murder in Thailand. Whilst I couldn't get bail on a visa rap, a thai who told me proudly how he shot his neighbour through the head was out on bail in no time.

It even gets better when you have the money, because than the case may only reach the court after the timelimit. Better get used to that.

For the victims families that is indeed very sad. Amongst thais quite often police will direct for some financial compensation to be paid, but justice it ain't.

So, why are there so many white :D men still want to live in Thailand ? I just don't get it!!!

Looks like hitting & KILLING is the only solution for thai to close the issues with foreginers....Srini,Tokyo.

And, notice how every time it's in a cowardly manner... stabbed in the back, beat up by a gang, shot an unarmed person, etc. Thai men sure are tough guys. Why don't they simply use muay Thai? :o