The Doors Keyboardist Ray Manzarek Dies Of Cancer At Age 74

News_Editor

<p>BERLIN, GERMANY (BNO NEWS) -- American musician Ray Manzarek, who played the keyboard for The Doors, on Wednesday died after a long battle with cancer. He was 74.

</p>

<p>Born Raymond Daniel Manczarek, Jr. in Chicago, Illinois in February 1939, Ray famously played the keyboards after founding The Doors alongside Jim Morrison from 1965 to 1973.

</p>

<p>Manzarek remained active until his death, playing with Nite City, Rick & The Ravens, Manzarek-Krieger, as well as a number of other collaborations after The Doors.

</p>

<p>After complications related to bile duct cancer, Manzarek died at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany. He is survived by his wife Dorothy Fujikawa whom he married in Los Angeles in 1967. They had a son named Pablo and have three grandchildren.

</p> <p> (Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].) </p>

Although I did not know it until I read it on YouTube here, Ray Manzarek pre-Doors provided that wonderful organ introduction to the Mamas & Papas 'No Salt On Her Tail' -- always one of my favorites.

Great, timeless band whose music sounds as stirring now as it did then. I've never heard another band since that had that sound, and God knows if it was possible, hundreds of bands would have done it.

• Like 1

"Those are the greatest f_____g song lyrics I have ever heard. Let's form a rock n roll band and make a million dollars".

August 1965 Venice Beach, CA, when Ray Manzarek bumps into Jim Morrison, asks him what he has been doing, and on being told "writing songs". Ray asks what songs? Jim then sings the opening lines of....

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=OCaDjpwuh08&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOCaDjpwuh08

Truly brilliant, and one of my life long regrets is that I never saw them play live. Manzarek, the film director that never was; Morrison the son of a USN Admiral who commanded naval forces in the Gulf of Tonkin Incident. 2 geniuses, sorely missed. RIP.