Forbes: German Chancellor Merkel Still The Most Powerful Woman In The World

webfact

Forbes: Merkel still the most powerful woman in the world

NEW YORK: -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has maintained her position as the most powerful woman in the world, in a ranking published Wednesday by Forbes magazine.

Merkel has held the number one position on the Forbes list of the 100 most powerful women in the world for the third year in a row. The 58-year-old chancellor has been a regular on the list since her first appearance in 2006, one year after she was elected chancellor. She has held the top spot each time except for 2010, when she was ranked fourth.

The magazine describes Merkel as "the backbone of the 27-member European Union," adding that she "carries the fate of the euro on her shoulders."

The magazine notes that her hard-line austerity prescription for easing the European debt crisis has been challenged by both hard-hit southern countries and the more affluent north, most particularly French President Francois Hollande.

She is followed on the list by Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff and philanthropist Melinda Gates.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-23

And Germany have floated the idea of telling the EU where to stick their Union, go back to the deutchmark and the return of its sovereign wealth funds eg: 3,000+ tonnes of gold

The magazine describes Merkel as "the backbone of the 27-member European
Union," adding that she "carries the fate of the euro on her
shoulders."

Yes.

And the fate of the germany's economy.

cheap products for the south.

Nobody buys Mercs with all the tax in west.

Did you know that?

Most powerful? What? What are we describing here? Women's mud wrestling? Ultimate Fighting? Roller Derby? Where's the You Tube video.

Joking aside, no singular person is all powerful, or even semi-powerful. This article makes like being the most powerful is some sort of Olympic individual event, where supremacy is won physically by one individual's sheer might (note: she does have a kind of sturdy personage).

Contrary to that notion; without a crowd of single minded, powerful individuals behind one, who are capable of clearing the path to the highest tier at the awards stand, no one can claim the title of being "Most Powerful".

Merkel is like any other trophy on someone's shelf; same as Obama and the lot of them.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

And Germany have floated the idea of telling the EU where to stick their Union, go back to the deutchmark and the return of its sovereign wealth funds eg: 3,000+ tonnes of gold

'Germany' has floated this idea? Precisely who has? Some tiny political party? Yes, indeed . . . and why shouldn't they?

shoulders."

Yes.

Did you know that?

Nobody buys Mercs in the west? I'm trying to figure out if you're serious

'Germany' has floated this idea? Precisely who has? Some tiny political party? Yes, indeed . . . and why shouldn't they?

>

shoulders."

Yes.

Did you know that?

Nobody buys Mercs in the west? I'm trying to figure out if you're serious

A bit over the top, but as a former mercedes owner, I disposed of mine after many years of electronic system defects and and some expensive repairs. A vehicle should not have light bulbs that burn out every 3 months etc. That being said, Germany still is the nation of quality manufacturing and of reliability in its industrial and scientific equipment.

Germany just got it in the chops when the EU did not support its initiative to take on alleged Chinese dumping in the alternative energy sector (solar panels). Germany had invested heavily in the sector and is now seeing its investment flushed because of the Chinese trade practices. Some EU nations have been afflicted with Walmartitis and have traded off the benefits of long lasting quality goods for cheap items. This approach helped destroy the US manufacturing sector and despite Mme Merkel's valiant efforts to the contrary is doing the same in the. Her powerful position didn't help her on this issue and it is the EU's loss.

• Like 1

Sadly it seems you may have ended up with a slight lemon in the Mercedes stakes . . . my father loved the things and turned them over every two years - never a problem.

I've had German cars since my first overseas posting (with the exception of 5+ carless years in Singapore) and have had my Q5 for over two years now and zero problems . . . though I do use the ratty old Fortuner in the plantations.

Yes, Merkel is doing a good job for the country and I do believe that quality machinery will always have a place in manufacturing - perhaps not as the first choice but when the first choice breaks down too often and this hits the bottom line then orders do come in.