Wiring And Fuse Problems

seajae

was going to put this in the electrical section but it hasnt been used for 7 years. My wife bought a new block of units(3 floors) and the uni students all moved in this week. Last night we got a phone call at 10 pm that all the power in the block had gone out so we went over to see what was wrong. Seems that the girl in one of the rooms on the second floor plugged in an electric jug to heat some water and it popped the fuse, strange thing is each floor has its own fuse board and master switch. The individual fuse switch had popped as well as the master switch on the second floor, but the same had happened on the 3rd floor and ground floor. I have been working in the building industry for 40 yerars and never heard of this happening, I understand the second floor popping switches but why would the 3rd and ground floors pop the same 2 switches unless they have been wired wrong. When we first bought the units and had the water turned on the bottom floor was flooded(pipe joins not glued), one of the bathroom floors flood because the fall is opposite to where the drain is, one of the bathroom doors doesnt open fully because it hits the toilet bowl, it is pretty shoddy actually but my wife bought it while I was overseas(her sister bought the ones next door and told her to buy them). I have been at odds with her over this as I keep finding faults(warped doors onto the external landings), she has already had to replace the water pump(didnt tell me at the time though), for me this is the last straw. I need someone with an electrical background to tell me if this should happen with the fuse boards or not, to my way of thinking they should not set each other off for the same 2 switches on every floor especially as they all have their own master switches. Also can anyone tell me where we sit with the shoddy workmanship, are we entitled to compenasation or can we force them to fix it(they are building more units next door) My wife doesnt want to upset the apple cart and complain, she says it doesnt matter, but I am worried that the wiring could be dangerous.

First, look at yr purchase contract - even in LoS the major developers have to remedy faults, typically anything within one year of property hand-over.

Second, go talk to the developer's onsite manager for the project; being highly present and vocal in Thai on a busy day at the sales office is really effective in getting management's attention. The onsite mgr doesnt want it to go above his head to the executive level office, else he loses face... that's his weak spot! you have to vaguely threaten him with, in a nice Thai way, if he doesnt rectify the situation quickly, it'll all blow up in his face from you, his boss and prospective buyers raising eyebrows.

Go get 'em.

I'll echo the above that a proper inspection is needed.

BUT. it's not unknown for RCDs/RCBOs to trip each other particularly in the case of a large overload (like the kettle going bang) even if correctly wired.

I'll echo the above that a proper inspection is needed.

BUT. it's not unknown for RCDs/RCBOs to trip each other particularly in the case of a large overload (like the kettle going bang) even if correctly wired.

Hi, checked the kettle, its fine, still should not have tripped 6 switches on 3 fuse boards, especially 3 master switches. A single kettle being plugged in should not cause an overload, has to be faulty wiring, possibly too many switches/plugs on the one circuit.