Gave Up Drinking - Now I Cannot Drink At All!

KunMatt

2 pints a day is healthy

Maybe so; for possibly 95% of the population. However, up to 5% cannot biologically handle alcohol at all - abstinence is the only way. Despite this, behind heart disease and cancer, arguably the 3rd killer on the list is alcoholism, not AIDS, or pulmonary disease or any other ailment. Unfortunately, there is no test for this, apart from the obvious symptoms - only when the sufferer cries 'Help'. Many die before they get there. Alcoholism is no respecter of age, education, job, social standing, sex or any other criteria - it affects across the board. If you want to drink, that's up to you - but if you want to stop and can't - seek help.

There are tests available to evaluate for the presence of alcoholism. Many questionnaires are available. In addition there are very specific blood and hair lab assays that detect significant alcohol intake over time. Alcohol is also related to heart disease and cancer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have any other symptoms of gluten intolerance; I eat bread most days (brown and white) and regularly eat pasta with no reaction.

Well, the hangover from 1 large can of Chang Export lasted 24 hours. I'm still not 100% over it at 21.30 the next day which is a bit worrying. I drank lots if water during the day and after that beer before bed, I even cut the beer 50/50 with Sprite but it still done me in.

8 pints / day is "alcoholic range" drinking. Are you sure you want to drink again and risk a relapse into the past?

Yes, I'm quite sure.

You are making my past sound much more dramatic than it was. Apart from the obvious health and memory worries, one if the main reasons I quit drinking was because I could never find enough time to play video games!

Same here, off of it for more than a year.

From what I understand beer is heavily adulterated with additional chemicals (anti-foaming agents, preservatives, emulsifiers, etc...) plus the yeast may be an allergen to some people while neutral grain spirits are "cleaner".

A doctor once told a friend of mine to stick to top-shelf spirits and lay off beer altogether.

A good beer has three ingredients: hops, malt and water. If there are any other ingredients such as anti-foaming agents, preservatives, emulsifiers or even rice in it, don't drink it. Chemicals are a big no-no for beer lovers.

I understand adulterated beers with chemicals are sold in Thailand. You won't get a hangover from a good beer, though. Know what you drink.

You can get a hangover from de-hydration though. Drink enough water before going to sleep.

Edited by onthemoon

Same here, off of it for more than a year.

From what I understand beer is heavily adulterated with additional chemicals (anti-foaming agents, preservatives, emulsifiers, etc...) plus the yeast may be an allergen to some people while neutral grain spirits are "cleaner".

A doctor once told a friend of mine to stick to top-shelf spirits and lay off beer altogether.

A good beer has three ingredients: hops, malt and water. If there are any other ingredients such as anti-foaming agents, preservatives, emulsifiers or even rice in it, don't drink it. Chemicals are a big no-no for beer lovers.

I understand adulterated beers with chemicals are sold in Thailand. You won't get a hangover from a good beer, though. Know what you drink.

You can get a hangover from de-hydration though. Drink enough water before going to sleep.

Worst hangovers of my life were from drinking TsingTao beer in China. People told me it had formaldehyde as a preservative and I believe them. Again just a couple of beers would give me a hangover I felt I was going to die from. This was more than 10 years ago and not related to this cold turkey skipping-behind-the-wagon phase I'm currently in.

Why all this talk about alcoholism?

And the most absurd, "accept the thing I cannot change".

One who controls the mind controls the life.

The OP was just talking about quiting for a couple of months, not asking for advice on how to quite from the alcoholics.

I quite for long periods of time all the time. After the first nasty Singha I quite drinking beer for a couple of months. Just hit the scotch once or twice a week.

I agree with the other poster, a couple of pints a day is healthy.

Unless it leaves you with a headache, then don't drink it. Check please.

There is no such thing as a drinking problem. It's not being able (weak) to control your impulsive urge to want to drink excessively.

Edited by Nowisee

Chang is the worst beer, always leaves me with a bad headache and hangover, also the problem might come from the heat, if I drink a chang at 1pm for sure I get headache. Switch to Leo and you will be fine, now I start the night with 1-2 changs (cheaper) and then switch to Leo :) Also I like Best beer if drinking from 7/11.

And what's all that crap about alcoholism, 8 pints a day is moderate casual drinking :)

Chang is the worst beer, always leaves me with a bad headache and hangover, also the problem might come from the heat, if I drink a chang at 1pm for sure I get headache. Switch to Leo and you will be fine, now I start the night with 1-2 changs (cheaper) and then switch to Leo smile.png Also I like Best beer if drinking from 7/11.

And what's all that crap about alcoholism, 8 pints a day is moderate casual drinking smile.png

I listed all the beers I've recently tried and they all gave me hangovers, didn't mix them either. Leo used to give me bad hangovers even before I gave up, it's 2nd in Thailand for me after Archas, Jesus Christ that stuff gave me a wicked 3 day hangover the first and only night I drank it.

2 pints of Guinness ruined me a couple of weeks ago too, however I've drank a few pints of Magners and not had the same ill effect as beer. No way I'm going to have a drink of choice here that costs 260 to 300 baht a pint here though.

As far as I am aware fit, healthy, people who do not drink can get very sick after just one drink. You probably have a very healthy liver now. When healthy, the liver allows only a small amount of alcohol through whereas an unhealthy liver subject to daily alcohol becomes like a sponge.

Either that or your liver is in a poor state but you would know about this in other ways.

• Like 1

You probably have got pancreatitis. The symptoms suggest it.

Blood test now! possibly hepatitis, your body is talkin to yea, listen to it, we are what we eat, drink, think...

Don't ignore this as it sounds like you may have liver problems and ending up with sorosis is a sh!t way to go ..... Test for Hep B and C ......

• Like 1

As far as I am aware fit, healthy, people who do not drink can get very sick after just one drink. You probably have a very healthy liver now. When healthy, the liver allows only a small amount of alcohol through whereas an unhealthy liver subject to daily alcohol becomes like a sponge.

Either that or your liver is in a poor state but you would know about this in other ways.

What a joke, as far as you are aware, where did this awareness come from?

Fit, healthy people who do not drink can get very sick after just one drink?

They certainly are not healthy if they cannot drink one alcoholic beverage without getting very sick.

Absolute nonsense.

Why all this talk about alcoholism?

And the most absurd, "accept the thing I cannot change".

One who controls the mind controls the life.

The OP was just talking about quiting for a couple of months, not asking for advice on how to quite from the alcoholics.

I quite for long periods of time all the time. After the first nasty Singha I quite drinking beer for a couple of months. Just hit the scotch once or twice a week.

I agree with the other poster, a couple of pints a day is healthy.

Unless it leaves you with a headache, then don't drink it. Check please.

There is no such thing as a drinking problem. It's not being able (weak) to control your impulsive urge to want to drink excessively.

Let's see. The forum is called "I Drink Too Much". I'm wondering why anyone is perusing through and posting in a forum with that name... unless they're wondering themselves.

I also wonder why people without a drinking problem occasionally stop drinking- just to prove they can.

And I gotta kind of wonder why someone would get so defensive and react so strongly to comments not even directed at them.

I won't bother to respond to that last sentence except to say that, if drinking is causing problems in my life, then I have a drinking problem. Period. Full stop. Alcoholism? Maybe maybe not. Only the OP can judge that for himself. And isn't it great that he/she can get input from all kinds of folks here that have, perhaps, walked further down some different paths?

Edited by impulse

In Bumrungrad right now; saw a GP and explained my problem and she just laughed and said it is good for me that my body is doing this. She said no charge because nothing was wrong with me but if I wanted to I could get a blood test to check my liver function, which I am now doing...

No signs of cirosis or hepatitis. She says it is all a reaction to my body being alcohol free and wanting to stay that way. She was more pleased about that than I was!

• Like 1

Got my blood test results (see attached if interested). My liver is in shockingly good health. 5 months of laying if the booze must have done it a world of good.

I still have the remnants of a hangover from that 1 beer a couple of nights ago though!!

post-84346-13693747143261_thumb.jpg

In Bumrungrad right now; saw a GP and explained my problem and she just laughed and said it is good for me that my body is doing this. She said no charge because nothing was wrong with me but if I wanted to I could get a blood test to check my liver function, which I am now doing...

No signs of cirosis or hepatitis. She says it is all a reaction to my body being alcohol free and wanting to stay that way. She was more pleased about that than I was!

You mean all the experts above are wrong cheesy.gif

Congrats Matt you should keep your result and then you can compare it to any further liver function tests you have. I remember getting the same test, aged about 46, after giving up alcohol for two years. When I went to see the doctor for the results his words will always stay with me: "Positively athletic, you should frame these!" I will celebrate 10 years of sobriety on Sunday. As others have posted, there is life after/without alcohol, even here in LOS, and for me there is no loss: I got my life back by quitting...... Good luck whatever you do.

• Like 2

iI go on the wagon for January every year and have done so since 2,000. Funny that I get a drunk feeling for about a week off and on until I suppose my body stabilizes. When I start on wine or beer again around 1 Feb, I just don't feel the need to drink more than 2 or 3 drinks and it normally takes until another 3 to 4 weeks before I return to my normal inebriated sate.

I'm thinking of laying off for Jan and Feb for 2014. Getting older and I do have a very small irregular liver function but not at risk...yet!

Best as you get older is abstain if you can period. I watched my father become more and more of a drunken tw@t until he hit 71, then finally quit. He can still be a handful, but 8 years later, he is much healthier and happier.

You mean Dr terrythai was wrong!!!!! Perhaps we should chip in for a second opinion!

And suddenly the OP has gone from "over 3 months " to "5 months", alcohol free (not that it makes any difference, but shows a tendency to lie) so now I do not believe a word he has said on here.

And how did you know my occupation mums boy?