Bangkok Closing At Midnight?

spacemand

It is a nation wide ban on alcohol sales after midnight Thursday (tonight) until midnight Friday. What that means in reality is something else but they are more stringent in the last few years than previously.

I live near a small town about 240 kilos north of Bangkok. I tried to buy a case of beer at the MA and Pa store when we went to the market this morning but she wouldn't sell it to me. She told my wife that the police were really cracking down this year. Went to another store on the way home and had no problem. Suspect 7-11 and the other "super stores" will be a no - no!

Oh dear a day without alcohol what is the world coming too. Man up and stay sober for a while, its not that hard. The more accomplished alcoholics plan ahead, big red circles on calendars for dry days, so they can stock up before.

Its funny to see these posts repeat itself every time, its gives a good indication of the guys with a problem, who haven't been here long. The others have learned that even on days like this there are places they can go to satisfy their addiction.

I just got to Bangkok and it's Friday night. Sorry if my idea of a good time doesn't involve staying at home with the cat and reading the latest issue of AARP magazine.

• Like 1

Oh dear a day without alcohol what is the world coming too. Man up and stay sober for a while, its not that hard. The more accomplished alcoholics plan ahead, big red circles on calendars for dry days, so they can stock up before.

Its funny to see these posts repeat itself every time, its gives a good indication of the guys with a problem, who haven't been here long. The others have learned that even on days like this there are places they can go to satisfy their addiction.

I just got to Bangkok and it's Friday night. Sorry if my idea of a good time doesn't involve staying at home with the cat and reading the latest issue of AARP magazine.

Your such a bore that you can't have fun without alcohol ? You don't have to stay home you can also not drink.

Surely this doesn't apply to bars and such, does it? Can't imagine Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza refusing to sell booze on a Friday night.

What??

Of course it applies to bars. They're pretty prolific purveyors of alcohol, aren't they? Besides, most - if not all - of those gogo bars will be shut.

If you really must BUY alcohol today as opposed to just drinking it (which is perfectly legal), try a hotel bar. I believe they have an exemption under the law.

Just don't expect walruses-in-pantyhose dancing on a podium.

Edited by HardenedSoul
  • Like 2

I know that I am going to incite a torrent of abuse and acidic rhetoric here, but what is wrong with respecting the believes of your host country for just a day?.............o.k. I am braced....lets hear it...w00t.gif

I know that I am going to incite a torrent of abuse and acidic rhetoric here, but what is wrong with respecting the believes of your host country for just a day?.............o.k. I am braced....lets hear it...w00t.gif

Personally, I don't drink so its not a problem.

However, I don't like it that a state religion dictates me what I can do or not do. In my opinion religion should not be forced and people should adhere to it because they believe in it.

On the other hand I understand that a host land has its own traditions and such. So I am a bit diveded between the two things.

Surely this doesn't apply to bars and such, does it? Can't imagine Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza refusing to sell booze on a Friday night. 

What??

Of course it applies to bars. They're pretty prolific purveyors of alcohol, aren't they? Besides, most - if not all - of those gogo bars will be shut.

If you really must BUY alcohol today as opposed to just drinking it (which is perfectly legal), try a hotel bar. I believe they have an exemption under the law.

Yeah go upmarket.....take your gal for cocktails at a nice hotel.

Go shopping in Siam....catch a movie....save the boozing for Sat night. :)

Personally, I don't drink so its not a problem.

However, I don't like it that a state religion dictates me what I can do or not do. In my opinion religion should not be forced and people should adhere to it because they believe in it.

On the other hand I understand that a host land has its own traditions and such. So I am a bit diveded between the two things.

I was wrong to use the word belief,(believes) as that indeed implies a requirement to follow their religion, but I am in full agreement with your point that religion should never be forced on people. I guess with hindsight what i meant to say was traditions, as you have correctly mentioned.rolleyes.gif

The more you control people, the more capacity you have to control them. People love to follow too, some people anyway. I think rebelling against stuff like this can only be a good thing - it isn't right. Thais and farang alike are all adults, and what are they saying anyway? Don't get drunk today, but get doubly plastered tomorrow if you feel like it? Or, "you can drink as much as you want if you happen to have a stash of alcohol"? It is just silly.

Edited by utalkin2me

What??

Yeah go upmarket.....take your gal for cocktails at a nice hotel.

Go shopping in Siam....catch a movie....save the boozing for Sat night. smile.png

Indeed. Last year my drinking pleasure was enhanced by the jealous stares from thirsty tourists as I sat with a large glass of cool beer outside on the terrace of The Landmark smile.png

• Like 1