Thai Nationals To Be Caned For Overstaying In Brunei: Report

webfact

Yes and u get 500bth a day to long in not me hi hi

<deleted> does this mean. It seems like a lot of butt waste, that why your nick is a excrement macerator manufacturer ?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For serious crimes like rape, human traficking or robbery maybe, but for a non-crime like overstaying it's pervert, barbaric and sadistic and belongs in the Middleages. Sick minded retards.

Guess which sick minded retards thought it up, implemented it and left the laws behind. Hint: they were not muslims nor the barbaric natives.

Why didn't you just tell us all the answer?

The genteel, colonial Bwitish in the Malay states introduced the fine art of corporal punishment to the natives.

Since it's over 40 years since independence, one would have thought that the local governments, mostly Muslim, would have banned this form of punishment by now?

Muslims against caning? What about stoning to death? Is that OK?

• Like 1

Caning for serious crimes is ok but I think it's too harsh for overstaying. I mean you're putting overstayers in the same league as rapists and drug smugglers. How many TV posters would a few cuts on the backside if they did that here too?

Although I have no experience of how much these canings hurt, I am tempted to say 'give me some more and cut my jail time'. How seriously another country regards particular 'crimes' is their way, and I believe guests should respect that. Gambling in Thailand is one that has always amused me.... dozens of people are herded off to the station and the huge sum of 135 baht confiscated and each is fined 100 baht!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

For all those that are making light of this subject you really need to sit and watch what this punishment means in real life.

At what part when you see the skin torn apart and lost muscle control do you consider that this thread deserves any light hearted comments ??

Maybe this would "solve" Thailand's problem with overstaying farang? Still funny is it ?

• Like 1

A chum and I were awarded 12 strokes of the cane when we were Boy Seamen under training in 1952. Our crime was being out of bed after lights out and in the midst of a pillow fight. We were held in separate cells overnight and taken before the Captain the following morning who harangued us for 10 minutes before announcing our fate. We were taken to a cellar beneath the Wardroom (officer's mess), made to strip to the waist and then put on a pair of white duck trousers. We were bent over the back of a wooden chair and told to hold onto the front legs. A Regulating Petty Officer held our wrists. I do not know who administered the punishment which was witnessed by the Commander, a Medical Officer. a Chaplain (who was as bent as a nine bob note) and two more RPO's. Neither of us uttered a sound as we were beaten. I vowed that I would not give them that satisfaction - or maybe add to their shame. It was said that a shilling was paid to the victim for every instance that blood was drawn. It hurt like hell but the worst part was being in the next room while my mate was caned and hearing the proceedings, knowing that my ordeal would shortly follow.

The upside of it was that we became cigarette 'barons' by charging the other trainees two Wills' Woodbines for a look at our heavily marked posteriors, the wheals stretching from hip to hip. There have been no long lasting effects and I certainly don't have nightmares about it. We never transgressed again.

• Like 1

Pity corporal punishment can not be handed out in Thailand instead of fines, perhaps we would have a more disciplined public and education system.

Don't be so sure. I grew up in Sydney when there was caning in schools. I'll never forget my math teacher, Black George, not because of what he taught but because of the savagery of his canings. He was called Black George because your palms would be black (dark purple) after one of his canings. Then there was my Latin teacher who got a kick out of getting you to select a cane from his selection in a cabinet on the wall of his office... some had 'thorns', so I guess the intent was mostly to add to your sense of fear and intimidation. I could go on. But the thing was that it was a mark of honour to be caned (and of course, to take it 'like a man') ... I was caned a few times a year, and those guys who weren't caned were basically ostracised. And I was not one of the class 'thugs'... I was among the more studious kids (usually near the top of the class in terms of my grades). At the age of 13 I moved to Canada where there was no corporal punishment. I can tell you, I was much better behaved there (in Canada) and so were my fellow students. Now, that may not be all down to the use of caning, but I can tell you from personal experience, it was not a discouragement to bad behaviour for a lot of us...

• Like 2

Well these guys did overstay for a considerable amount of time and as mentioned had no valid reason for doing so. It would appear that there would be some leniency if there was a valid reason which the defendants could not come up with. A situation a few years ago in Singapore was far worse in my opinion. Several men from Bangladesh paid an employment agency considerable money (relatively speaking) for a job in Singapore and when they got there found out it was a scam and the employment agency ran off with their money. Not knowing what to do they accidentally overstayed and although it was only because they were the victims of a scam and were looking for honest legal work were still caned and then deported. Now thats barbaric.

Thais rather get the money whistling.gif

Well if you prefer Thailand to revert to barbaric practices best left in the middle ages, then start a petition.

For just an overstay offense Caning is barbaric, but staying in IDC when caught here in Thailand on overstay, is also not pleasant !!

For all those that are making light of this subject you really need to sit and watch what this punishment means in real life.

At what part when you see the skin torn apart and lost muscle control do you consider that this thread deserves any light hearted comments ??

Maybe this would "solve" Thailand's problem with overstaying farang? Still funny is it ?

This level of damage is astonishing. I somehow thought the end result of caning was a fair amount of pain and some red welts, had no idea it is much much closer to torture. My opinion of Malaysia , which was never really that good, has now dropped to zero. It the country of Thailand had any balls, they would stop this. If this person about to receive this caning was a Chinese citizen, am pretty sure it would be stopped IMMEDIATELY.

Am somewhat stunned that Brunei would follow the wacky laws of Malaysia...

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

For serious crimes like rape, human traficking or robbery maybe, but for a non-crime like overstaying it's pervert, barbaric and sadistic and belongs in the Middleages. Sick minded retards.

Guess which sick minded retards thought it up, implemented it and left the laws behind. Hint: they were not muslims nor the barbaric natives.

Why didn't you just tell us all the answer?

The genteel, colonial Bwitish in the Malay states introduced the fine art of corporal punishment to the natives.

Since it's over 40 years since independence, one would have thought that the local governments, mostly Muslim, would have banned this form of punishment by now?

Sorry, but flogging, often to death has been a Sharia punishment many centuries before the British or any whites came.

• Like 2

great timing for Muslim v Buddhist relationships ,........is Brunai part of asean pact ?

Edit: I just wanted to add that the cane is applied to the buttocks. Perhaps if more Thai children were given the appropriate pressure to their buttocks when they got out of line, then stories like this would not be so prevalent as they are in Thailand.

Unfortunately it is not just Thailand.

This level of damage is astonishing. I somehow thought the end result of caning was a fair amount of pain and some red welts, had no idea it is much much closer to torture. My opinion of Malaysia , which was never really that good, has now dropped to zero. It the country of Thailand had any balls, they would stop this. If this person about to receive this caning was a Chinese citizen, am pretty sure it would be stopped IMMEDIATELY.

"Am somewhat stunned that Brunei would follow the wacky laws of Malaysia"...

Why?

Brunei is completely surrounded by Malaysian territory, Sarawak, and was a British protectorate until 1984. Same language, same culture. Same laws, British & Sharia. Same punishments.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

An unnecessarily nasty and off-topic post and reply have been deleted.

You are welcome to your opinion, but please exercise care in your posts and stick to the topic, which is about an incident and not about an entire religion.

This is justice in Islam for you. I lived in Saudi 6 years, I know (no they did not cane me) :-)) However as far as I know the person doing the caning has to have a copy of the Koran under his arm when delivering the punishment, so it won't be too. severe

That is for canings given out by the Islamic courts in Malaysia and possibly in Brunei too. Women can be theoretically get caned in this way in Malaysia and in Acer State in Indonesia they get it every week. It is done through clothes and is mainly for humiliation.

Judicial caning in Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei is a different matter. The cane is half an inch thick and is applied to naked buttocks with the maximum force that a muscle bound prison guard can muster.

That is why I wrote earlier "Having watched a video of someone being caned (indeed, I

could not watch it all, way too barbaric) I can't condone making jokes

about it."

Edited by Scott

That is why I wrote earlier "Having watched a video of someone being caned (indeed, I

could not watch it all, way too barbaric) I can't condone making jokes

about it."

Definitely no copy of the Koran under the caner's arm there. The victim will be in pain for 2 or 3 weeks and will be scarred for life.

Would you trust these sadistic goons to carry out a clean hanging?

Why not do it in Thailand, may be people would think twice about overstaying, instead of not giving a sh**

Well I would like to know how long they overstayed and what other activities they were up to.

In my opinion caning is only part of the story.

By the way I am against it.

Caning for serious crimes is ok but I think it's too harsh for overstaying. I mean you're putting overstayers in the same league as rapists and drug smugglers. How many TV posters would a few cuts on the backside if they did that here too?

Yes, indeed, I saw an instance where the guy is wearing a protective shroud and only his bare buttocks are showing - Wow when that cane hits, it literally splits his backside open, imagine going to immigration here and put in the "A" frame. I originally thought that it was intended as "humiliation" until I saw the damage it does. It is pretty barbaric, and a bit OTT for an overstay. Thailand will probably respond by shooting Brunei citizens that overstay here.

Anyone know if they give the three strokes at once or weeks apart etc?

Let the Thais feel the taste, because those thais always pamper by their own people.

Now they know, when they are no more in their own country,

And don't treat foreigner badly when they stay in your country.

• Like 1

Just a thought as they were in the company of a Thai lady when caught, could she be caned too, if the Judge had wanted it as part of the sentence?

Or is the cane just for males.

BW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Malaysia#Exemptions

>

Exemptions

Malaysian law excludes the following groups from judicial caning:

• Women
  • Men aged 50 and above (except when convicted of rape);
  • Any person below the age of 10
  • Any person deemed unfit for caning by a medical officer
  • The insane

Boys aged 10 to 18 may be sentenced up to ten strokes with a light cane

Thank god i am over 50 , he he clap2.gif

"Am somewhat stunned that Brunei would follow the wacky laws of Malaysia"...

Why?

Brunei is completely surrounded by Malaysian territory, Sarawak, and was a British protectorate until 1984. Same language, same culture. Same laws, British & Sharia. Same punishments.

You are right, my bad.... :-) Muslim since the 15th century. I somehow thought since it passed on being a part of Malaysia like the other sultanates did, that it would cut its own path. Guess not. I rode through Brunei on a motorcycle trip in Borneo. Felt like a very strange place, I would not want them in control of me. Again , I look forward to Yingluck thundering away in a speech to protect these Thai citizens from what looks very much like torture...
  • Like 2

Anyone know if they give the three strokes at once or weeks apart etc?

Let the Thais feel the taste, because those thais always pamper by their own people.

Now they know, when they are no more in their own country,

And don't treat foreigner badly when they stay in your country.

What are you on about? Can you try again. You feel that badly treated in Thailand?

Just to be clear. This punishment has nothing to do with Islam or Sharia. It's a secular judicial punishment. We have it here, where I live in Singapore (which has a Muslim population of only about 30 percent). As have some have mentioned, this is a holdover from British colonial days... it's only the former British colonies around here that use it for judicial punishment (not Vietnam, Laos, or Cambodia, for example). Former British colonies in Africa also practice it.

In Singapore, the caning is supposedly administered by a certified martial arts expert on prison staff. This is supposed to ensure maximum strength and accuracy (though the victim's waist is covered and padded to prevent any damage to kidneys, etc.). Because crime is low in Singapore, the authorities have convinced themselves it works as a deterrent. Well, they just need to look north to Malaysia and the crime rate there to see that caning is not the answer it appears to be. But every time the UN takes Singapore to task on the matter, they simply play the 'sovereignty card'. My ex-gf's dad was the lead physician who actually prepared a legal defense of caning for the government several years back when the UN was shaking the tree... we did not get along.

And you may find this video interesting. It's a dramatisation of what apparently goes on in schools here re corporal punishment:

Last time I heard, most schools have a "Discipline Master" who is responsible for administering 'the cuts'. So at least you don't get the idiosyncratic sadism I faced when I was a kid in Oz where each teacher could do what they wanted (back in the 60s and 70s).